Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replaced clutch, now truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced clutch, now truck won't start

So I just got done replacing the clutch in my 4x4 98 Tacoma with the 2.7 four cylinder and now my engine won't start.

When I went to start it, it would start up for just a second and then die. I checked all the electrical connections and they're all good and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any. (3 connected to the trans and transfercase + 2 to the exhaust) When I tried to start it again it did the same thing. Now when I try to start it it doesn't even start up or turn over, the starter goes and the whole thing just sounds like it's stuck now.

One thing, when re-installing the flywheel I had lost my marks that I made to put it back in the exact spot. It didn't look like there were any concerns for orienting it so I just put it on and figured it was fine. Upon digging further in to my manual it says that some flywheels need to be aligned in a certain way for it to work. Is my flywheel like this and it's just just put on in the wrong way? Or is there another direction I should look, I would really like to not have to pull it out again.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can offer. Need to fix this ASAP as this is my daily driver.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

First did you have the battery disconnected when you pulled the starter??? If not and it shorted good chance one of the fusible links may have opened.

I would throw a charger on the battery make sure it is fully charged.

I would look at your Ground connections and your battery terminals in general. If this all looks good

If you got the wires on the starter correct. All the wires on the transmission really should not effect the starting .

Some where you either have a bad ground or a poor connection
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Wyoming, thanks for the reply. All the connections were good, but telling me that the transmission wires wouldn't affect the starting helped a lot. The problem is fixed now, apparently throughout the whole process I got a big air bubble in my fuel line. I was looking at the problem with tunnel vision, thinking that it had to be related to the clutch and transmission. Just took a second set of eyes and ears to help me realize what it was.

I'd also like to give a little shout out to http://www.phoenixfriction.com/. I was looking for a upgraded clutch from stock (without spending 300+) and they're about the only company I found that had it around my price range.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:56 AM

i was gonna say fuel, usually if something will start then die right away its related to lack of fuel or fuel pressure

the fact that then engine turned over let alone would start tells you that you dont need to waste time looking into fusible links, cables, battery voltage, etc. all things related to the starter were obviously working
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM

How did you get rid of the air bubble. That may be whats going on with my truck. Can you test fuel pressure on 98 v-6 tacoma? sorry for the hijack