Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

replace all weatherstripping on 01 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace all weatherstripping on 01 4runner?

My wife has 142k on her 01 4runner. We have always kept it clean and garaged but i seem no notice more of the outside noise getting in.

I could either condition the weatherstripping for a week or two or buy new weatherstripping. Option A is the least expensive. Option B probably won't be.

Besides buying each peice seperately, is there somewhere where i can buy all the seals for each door as a kit?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I think buying new door seals will be prohibitively expensive.

I purchased my '01 new and now have 238,XXX miles on the clock. Apart from some of the seals sagging away from the top, non-hinge corner, they all still look great.

And my truck has spent most of its existence outside.

Andreas
Old 11-16-2011, 03:42 PM

I think you're right. I'm using armor all now each night and hopefully they'll absorb some and become softer.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by dallison
I think you're right. I'm using armor all now each night and hopefully they'll absorb some and become softer.
I remember a thread on here where people didn't recommend Armor all products, comparing it to chapstick. "If you use it once, you have to keep using it."

But Also I would like to know where I can buy new weather strips. I have a 96 and most of it has corroded away.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 PM

my truck has no weatherstripping on any windows or the windshield, do you have to buy specially made stuff for your model or can you just got to canadian tire and get any ol brand?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Armor all is horrible!!! It will dry out whatever you put it on if you do not constantly reapply it. I use strictly lemon pledge on my interior, leather, seals and outside plastics. (The top of the bumper and bottom of mudflaps)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

get off your chair

walk to your right Towards jerry`s office

somewhere up the aisle look down to your left.

rather inexpensive solves most noise problems can be washed and reused can be used with any vehicle

Or you could get his and her Wolf ears i have been meaning to get these and keep forgetting

Cough up the money to buy your wife a new vehicle if you can drive a sports car.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM

LOL! i'm too cheap to do that. I normally don't like to use armor all but that's all i had at home. I have a gallon of vinylex coming tomorrow. That's my choice of "protectant". I'm sure vinylex is similar but a little different than armor all.

I know peicing the peices together is expensive but was hoping there was a kit that you could buy that was less expensive.

She's onlt going to keep it for another 5 years or so before she buys a newer one or a sequioa.

We need fold flat seats for the mutts.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
get off your chair

walk to your right Towards jerry`s office

somewhere up the aisle look down to your left.

rather inexpensive solves most noise problems can be washed and reused can be used with any vehicle

Or you could get his and her Wolf ears i have been meaning to get these and keep forgetting

Cough up the money to buy your wife a new vehicle if you can drive a sports car.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ETRNL
Armor all is horrible!!! It will dry out whatever you put it on if you do not constantly reapply it. I use strictly lemon pledge on my interior, leather, seals and outside plastics. (The top of the bumper and bottom of mudflaps)
I never heard of that but if it works for you that's great.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ETRNL
..and the rain doesn't make it cloud up white?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife has 142k on her 01 4runner. We have always kept it clean and garaged but i seem no notice more of the outside noise getting in.

I could either condition the weatherstripping for a week or two or buy new weatherstripping. Option A is the least expensive. Option B probably won't be.

Besides buying each peice seperately, is there somewhere where i can buy all the seals for each door as a kit?
"replacement door seals toyota" brought up a bunch of results on google. no luck with that?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
..and the rain doesn't make it cloud up white?
Never had that problem. Although all the outside black pieces also get a coating of black majic wet. The pledge I use as a cleaner.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM

I have used silicon spray for years on all my weather stripping and it works great. If the rubber is dry it sucks it right up. Pretty cheap and works great. Bonus: It used to help keep my doors from freezing shut when I lived in the midwest in the winters. A can will last you quite a while.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wurth Rubber Care
Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

For the door seals or gaskets I use silicone spray have been using it for years on all the rubber type things. Vacuum hoses etc.

I have seen no bad side effects

Then I am not as picky as your wife.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If she's really concerned about outside noise you could sound deaden it.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the process of replacing my weatherstripping and does it make a difference!
On my pickup, door weatherstripping for both doors was ~$60 total on amazon (rock auto has it for a little more, same company/part). The sunroof weatherstripping was ~$25 (toyota), and both of the back xtra cab windows were ~$35 total (toyota). Toyota parts bought at a discount online.

Add'l soundproofing helps too with some of the mods posted here (I'm going to use "cruiser crap" and some sort of new foam eventually) -- but not if you don't fix the big air/sound leaks first.

To soften weatherstripping/keep it supple, gummi pfedge is great:
einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz : Amazon.com : Automotive einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

But after a decade, and definitely by decade two, most weatherstripping is shot. I still have the back side windows to do, but after doing the doors (could see light coming in the corners and hear wind even with the gummi pfledge) and sunroof (all I heard was wind immediately above me, sunroof might as well have been popped), I can actually hear my radio at highway speeds w/o turning it way up.

Last edited by RSR; 05-09-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 AM

Hi RSR,
Can you tell me more about the brand of weather stripping you are using for you doors? I see that you mention a pickup, not a 4runner? I would have thought door weatherstripping would be an easy thing to find, but I'm coming with Buttkiss.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM

3rd Gen Weatherstripping

Alright, I wanted to finally contribute something to this forum.

After a lot of searching for weatherstripping for my 1997 4Runner doors and not having any luck in finding aftermarket products, I decided to bow down to buying from a dealer on this one.

I searched and searched, online part stores, amazon, ebay etc.

I ended up ordering the OEM weatherstripping for the driver's front door. This is the rubber that seals the whole door. It is part #5 in the schematic shown online.

Part #62312-35013 MRSP is $108, but I paid $84.44 online.

I suggest ordering from Sparks Toyota: trdsparks.com

Hope that helps someone.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure thing. It's Metro Moulded Super Soft weatherstipping. Ordered off of Amazon (have Amazon Prime, so the free shipping is great and they're usually cheaper than rock bottom Rock Auto -- Rock's just better for looking up part numbers and then doing a little comparison shopping):
Metro Moulded LM 136 SUPERsoft Door Seal : Amazon.com : Automotive Metro Moulded LM 136 SUPERsoft Door Seal : Amazon.com : Automotive

I checked MM's website and don't see your generation available yet: http://www.metrommp.com/

Dealership weatherstripping is good too, and much cheaper if you buy it online...

Quick Reply: replace all weatherstripping on 01 4runner?