Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Removing the RS3000 alarm

Old 01-14-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing the RS3000 alarm

My RS3000 got hosed a while ago after a "That 's deeper than I thought!" mud hole crossing. I've since bought a new 3rd party alarm system to replace it, and am curious what'll happen to the truck when I try to pull out the RS3000.

I'm thinking that I can't just get away with unplugging the old box and leaving the harness loose under the seat. I figure that things like starter cutout will come into play.

I also figure that since the RS3000 currently thinks it's in some sort of a panic state (The piezo under the hood is constantly going off), I can't just wire in the new alarm with the RS3000 still in there. They'll fight each other anc cause all sorts of interesting problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

For curiosity seekers, this is the new alarm:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1185
Old 01-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest looking for a used rs3000 brain if all else is well. It sounds like its a tad late if you got the relpacment. I got my rs3000 on ebay intact for 15 bucks. Good luck
Old 01-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Local Dealership

If you have a "friend" at your local dealership you might try getting them to find out, as that is what I do when I get one of these type questions. Unless I find the answer here of course!

Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Removing the RS3000 alarm

Originally posted by midiwall
My RS3000 got hosed a while ago after a "That 's deeper than I thought!" mud hole crossing. I've since bought a new 3rd party alarm system to replace it, and am curious what'll happen to the truck when I try to pull out the RS3000.

I'm thinking that I can't just get away with unplugging the old box and leaving the harness loose under the seat. I figure that things like starter cutout will come into play.

I also figure that since the RS3000 currently thinks it's in some sort of a panic state (The piezo under the hood is constantly going off), I can't just wire in the new alarm with the RS3000 still in there. They'll fight each other anc cause all sorts of interesting problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

For curiosity seekers, this is the new alarm:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1185
Hey Mark,

If I were you I would just go and uninstall the RS3000 completely. I have heard of other members that have had troble with aftermarket systems when they did not ompletely remove a factory alarm (ie they constantly fight each other.......and eventually the factory alarm breaks the aftermarket one).

Here is the install for the alarm so just follow the reverse:
http://www.4runners.org/images/rs300...%20Install.pdf

You don't need to pull the entire harness out, just remove the harness from out of the loop to restore the wiring back to factory (in a pre-alarm state). There are a couple of areas where I can see they have installed a simple jumper harness that you can just remove it from the loop and all is well. They also did some stuff to the ignition harness so it needs to be removed and returned to stock. Other than that it really does not seem that daunting but then again I spent a good 2 days under the dash so I know the wiring by heart. If you want to take some pics of the harnesses I can tell you what to do to return it to stock. Also since yours is a 1996 and so is mine you can look at my install pics to see what it should look like (mine had no factory alarm).

Most aftermarket alarms have a factory disarm wire but it seems like the RS3000 has no disarm input (THANKS ALOT TOYOTA!) so it needs to be removed before installing an aftermarket alarm/starter.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-14-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:18 PM

Re: Re: Removing the RS3000 alarm

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
If I were you I would just go and uninstall the RS3000 completely. I have heard of other members that have had troble with aftermarket systems when they did not ompletely remove a factory alarm (ie they constantly fight each other.......and eventually the factory alarm breaks the aftermarket one).
Oh, ab-so-lutely Jamie... I want the thing out of there.

Thanks for the link! I'll dig into it in the next week.

As for looking for a replacement brain... It's a good idea, and I started down that path, but (I'll admit it!) I got swayed by the "bling" factor of having a remote starter with a two-way LCD.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Removing the RS3000 alarm

Originally posted by midiwall
Oh, ab-so-lutely Jamie... I want the thing out of there.

Thanks for the link! I'll dig into it in the next week.

As for looking for a replacement brain... It's a good idea, and I started down that path, but (I'll admit it!) I got swayed by the "bling" factor of having a remote starter with a two-way LCD.
I think you are smart to be getting rid of it.
From the install pics the RS3000 looks rather limited for expansion.
Better safe than sorry and just yank it out.

If you need help getting the old one out or the new one in just PM me.