Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Removal of a 3rd gen Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removal of a 3rd gen Starter

Does anyone know how involved it is to pull the starter out of a 3rd gen Limited Runner. I can not even get to the bolts on the back of the starter for the exhaust system...As far as coming out the fender there is brank lines in the way... If someone could help I would appreciate it?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:29 AM

Check out the Tech Section. There is a writeup that shows step by step on how to remove a 3rd gen starter.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 AM

It`s a pain in the a$$, you have to disconnect the brake lines and once you get those bolts off you have to work it out the sides through that small opening. At first you will be like like I was then once you get it out don`t be relieved because you will have to go in the same way it came out and once again you will be like . Just take your time and everything will be
Old 04-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

I just did it a couple weeks ago ('99 LTD), the bolt are pretty easy to get to, as long as you have a swivel and a few extensions. The hard part is getting it out, I didn't see any hope going through the fender, so I figured dropping the sway bar (just the two mounts on the frame) and removing one of the metal power steering lines from the rack gave me plenty of room. It sound like a lot, but I fought with the other way for over an hour with no luck. It took me about 20 min. to get it out my way, and the same to get back in. Just have a bucket ready to catch the PS fluid, and some spare fluid around so you don't have to drive to the store with a whiny pump.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 AM

I am guessing you have a v6 motor since it is a Limited model.

Let me tell you about my experience with replacing a starter. I replaced mine about 2 months ago. I don't have a 4-runner but I am thinking the PU I have might be similar. I have a 95 PU, not tacoma or T-100, with a 3.0L v6 and an automatic transmission.

This is what I did:

First, disconnect the battery.

Next remove the passenger side tire.

There should be a splash guard inside the fender well that is made of metal and paper. This is secured by three bolts and 4 plastic rod-like fasteners. Remove this fenderwell splash guard.

Next, remove the cable connected to the starter. On mine there was an additional cable. remove them both.

Next remove the heat shield form the exhaust manifold. This will give you some room to maneuver the starter out of the vehicle.

Next remove the bolt and plate that secures the battery cable to the frame. This should be real close to the upper control arm.

Next adjust the upper control arm and make it level with or should I say in the same plane with the vehicle's frame. I did this with a jack set underneath the lower control arm.

Next remove or re-route some vacuum hoses. If you're gonna remove the vacuum hoses label them so you can easily re-attach them.

On mine truck there was a thin metal plate to hold some hoses near the starter. This plate was easily removed because there was only one bolt holding it in place. Once you remove this plate you cn easily slide cables and hoses around to make way for the starter.

There are 2 bolts that hold the starter in place. one is screwed in from the front and the other from the back. You will need long extension bars and a universal joint to remove these bolts. Be patient here, because you might round out the bolt heads and this will make it even more difficult to remove the starter.

Once you have the bolts removed, reach into the fenderwell and pull the starter out. I had to rotate mine about 90 degrees and then pulled it out from between the upper control arm and the metal fenderwell.

The whole procedure took me about 30 minutes.

When your starter first engages to start the vehicle it will have a loud sound coming from the starter drive turning the flexplate. This loud sound will go away in about a month or so depending on how much you drive your vehicle.

I hope this helps out. When I first saw where the starter was at in my vehicle I was ready to pull the motor or remove the passenger side exhaust manifold. These were un-neccessary for me.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:05 PM

It's easier to just follow the writeup in the tech section, you only have to move the brakelines aside-not completely remove them. Also remove upper section of the auto trans dipstick (if applicable) Then use the extensions and U-joint mentioned earlier. The hardest part of mine was getting the mounting nuts to break free. Rebuilding it yourself is easy and will save you some $$$
Just set aside an afternoon and tackle it.