Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

remote starters for man. transmission?

Old 04-03-2005, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote starters for man. transmission?

Has anyone installed a remote engine start on a manual transmission? I've heard that most commercial installers won't do it... claiming state regs or insurance reasons..

I'd like to see about putting one in myself if no one else will do it. Any suggestions regarding good models to get or ones easy to install?

Or does anyone know of places that will install them?

I always leave my truck in neutral with the emergency brake on anyway (unless I'm parking on a hill), so I'm not in any danger of it taking off without me...

do most of you leave your man. transmissions in neutral when you park the truck?

How much use does you clutch start cancel button get? Unless rock climbing, mine doesn't get much....
Old 04-03-2005, 01:24 AM

People have done it before on Man transmisions. I dont know if it's legal, but it's more of a liability for the company. Thats why they dont install them mainly from my logic. They dont want to be blamed because you auto start your truck while you left it in gear. That would be bad for the company. And for you if it's in a garage or in the parking lot. Now that would be something to watch though.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Here is what I have in mt 2001 Ram 1500

Car starters

It works great but is more work installing. Plus you have to shut the motor off with the remote or you can't remote start it.......meaning if you want to remote start, then you have to plan on it when exiting the truck. I f wired correctly it is safe to use.

Steve
Old 04-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

My friend had remote start on his manual Audi. The shop used magnets (??) in the base of the shifter to prevent the car from being started in gear. He always had to leave it in neutral for it to work. That could be a problem if you have an e-brake that is not tight enough. The vehicle could roll fwd or backward on a hill. I always put mine in gear so it wont roll. Surely with todays technology there is something that would work for you.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Bad idea period, regardless if it is legal. IMO...a pointless mod that exemplifies the epitome of laziness. I've never understood the remote start for any vehicle...

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-03-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless the vehicle comes with an OEM neutral safety start switch (which the 4Runner and Tacoma do not) then I would not advise this at all. It is very dangerous to Gerry-rig something to work and potentially deadly if it fails. Overall I don't recommend it.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

But no one would sue you if something happened, so what's the big deal?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Bad idea period, regardless if it is legal. IMO...a pointless mod that exemplifies the epitome of laziness. I've never understood the remote start for any vehicle...
Different climate you live in waslillywabbit. I wouldn't begrudge you your A/C....if you have it. Not veryone in a cold climate has a remote starter but if they weren't so exspensive that would change. Like I said earlier, if you wire it correctly they are safe and a big help on a 10 below Zerex morning. It's amasing the difference 5 mins. makes on warming.

Mods are suited to the individual. Don't knock a member for their mod. just because you wouldn't do it. I thought this forum was beyond that.

By the way, 12volt.com has a lot of info. about wiring starters and alarms. Good luck,

Steve
Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM

go to www.the12volt.com and do a search or ask questions. very smart guys on there.
for what its worth, i have a viper 791vx (about $200 off e-bay) w/remote start and, before my motor died, used it all the time. it's nice to not have to run out and start the car in the cold, especially if you're running late. I love it and would never give it up.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:20 PM

Unhappy

i'd run with it, "vhilts"(a.k.a. Virg), it will go in the same as it would in an automatic w/the only user error default being your presence of mind to remember to always leave it in neutral; you could always adjust the parking brake to compensate for hill parking &/or even pack a 12" piece of a 4x4 w/you as a chock.

also, props to "chenedog" on admonishing "waskillywabbit" for his knocking "vhilts" improvement to his rig, this site(i thought), among other things, is meant to provide encouragement & commaraderie amongst it's members &/or the whole 'yota community, ya know, that whole "toyota experience" & all that.

it is always a dissapointment to witness belittling behavior between one member & another. the world we live in & have to function in more than aptly provides enough of that to not have to also deal w/it in a cyberspace forum designed &(allegedly)specifically oriented to be helpful & supportive of the people who partake of it, you know, a place to get a little sunshine amidst all of the rain.

in the work arena there is the saying that you don't take your home to work w/you & likewise, you don't bring your work home w/you. leave the problems at home at home & leave the problems at work at work. don't begrudge the man his mod, "waskillywabbit", everyone needs their bit of sunshine, or remote start heat or A/C, as the case may be.

p.s. as an aside: what was that that you were saying earlier "green91runner"??

Last edited by frankenrunner; 04-03-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Haha, come to bozeman for a winter and you'll change your mind. I'm just too cheap to get a remote start for my truck. I can just walk out there and start it. Plus going out side will let me know how many layers I'm going to need.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
when i got my alarm installed they suggested i go with the remote start even though i have a 5sp. i couldnt afford it, so i with with the next step down, but they didnt seem to have a problem with wanting to install it.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jon_7248
People have done it before on Man transmisions. I dont know if it's legal, but it's more of a liability for the company. Thats why they dont install them mainly from my logic. They dont want to be blamed because you auto start your truck while you left it in gear. That would be bad for the company. And for you if it's in a garage or in the parking lot. Now that would be something to watch though.
i would love to see that. well unless i was crossing in between your parked truck and another car.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:52 AM

check this out:

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...c6000f2993.txt

serously: i wouldn't do it. i grew up in a cold climate. and since starting a car is exciting for a 14year old, i was my dad's remote starter. alternately, you can just go out to your driveway 5 minutes early and start the car and go back in the house.

even if you had all the safeties in place so it woudln't start in gear, i'd still be nervous about leaving the truck in neutral with just the ebrake. i always leave mine in gear (reverse to be exact because my gf's car is a saab and i got in the habit of shifting to reverse before i could get the key out).
Old 04-04-2005, 10:09 AM

Hello
Just installed remote start in my 93 about 2 months ago.
In VA it's illlegal to install remote on manuals unless you install a ground to the e brake.
That way it will not start unless the e brake is on.
Me on the other hand don't realy care about all that crap. Anyways!!
Remove your clutch switch and just put the two wires together and hook up the rest of the system as if you had an auto.
BTW I used BULLDOG remote starter. Can get them at COSCO, SAMS Club and other places like that real cheap.
Works well though.
Took me about 2 hours to install ,but in my defense it was about 25 degrees outside so I took alot of breaks to get warm.

No more cold ass mornings sitting around waiting for the truck to get warm.
I just hop in and go. Cabs nice and warm and the motors all warm and ready to go too.
Just my two cents.
C-YA!!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:22 PM

Remove your clutch switch and just put the two wires together and hook up the rest of the system as if you had an auto.

That's a great idea!! One of those "why didn't I think of that" moments...I never use the clutch cancel switch anyway... should make the install much easier...

I'm surprised that some installers will do remotes on manuals since the one's that I've talked to where very convincing that no one would do it...It would seem that remote manufacturers would have figured out a way to get around the in-gear start danger...they're leaving alot of potential customers out...

finally, i've lived in AZ and I've lived in Minnesota and I'm convinced that a remote start is "a good thing" regardless of what others have expressed herein....
Old 04-05-2005, 06:42 AM

Glad I could Help Vhilts!!

Just to make it clear for me and you. I am refering to the switch that is up under the dash conected to a braket that is actually actuated by the clutch pedal. Not the clutch kill switch on the dash board. I took the one from the dash out and put in a blank plate from another truck to just cover up the hole that was left from me removing it. Makes for a good spot to put in a new switch for aftermaket light or what not.

For those that don't trust there E brake.
I park on a 15 degree incline (my drive way) everyday w/ just the E brake w/ 32in. tires (used to be 33's)and I have no probblems of the truck rolling. If you park on more of a incline than that then I would but it in gear for sure. Otherwise I have had no probblems. At least that my experiance.

Just my two cents.
C-YA!!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MDNT TOY
I park on a 15 degree incline (my drive way) everyday w/ just the E brake w/ 32in. tires (used to be 33's)and I have no probblems of the truck rolling. If you park on more of a incline than that then I would but it in gear for sure. Otherwise I have had no probblems. At least that my experiance.
you're probably right. my problem with the e-brake, is that my first car was a '75 CJ-5 and the e-brake was pretty bad (it was one of the stupid pedal kind) and i could never get it tight enough to hold the jeep up the driveway, it always had to be in gear. i think since i learned on a car like that, i'm always thinking of how the e-brake can't really be trusted.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDNT TOY
Glad I could Help Vhilts!!

Just to make it clear for me and you. I am refering to the switch that is up under the dash conected to a braket that is actually actuated by the clutch pedal. Not the clutch kill switch on the dash board. I took the one from the dash out and put in a blank plate from another truck to just cover up the hole that was left from me removing it. Makes for a good spot to put in a new switch for aftermaket light or what not.

Just my two cents.
C-YA!!
There is a reason why those are installed by the manufacturer. Sure you can bypass them, but if something happens and you are proven to have disabled any safety mechanisms, your case is toast. Again, certainly can be done, but definately not suggested by most on this board. You'd think it was pretty much common sense.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankenrunner
also, props to "chenedog" on admonishing "waskillywabbit" for his knocking "vhilts" improvement to his rig
WOW!
It's not that often that we see Brian getting rapped here. He's one of the most helpful people on the board and I'm just one of the benefactors of his good advice.Maybe you wanna check his post count to confirm all of his positive input. I've never met the guy, but I want to jump to his defence here...he DID preface with IMO...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: remote starters for man. transmission?