Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote Starter...Ignition Override

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter...Ignition Override

I am trying to install a remote starter on my 2000 4runner. I've got everything in place but I can't override the ignition system with the remote. The only way the remote will start the car is if the key is in the ignition.
I'm pretty stuck at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
I am trying to install a remote starter on my 2000 4runner. I've got everything in place but I can't override the ignition system with the remote. The only way the remote will start the car is if the key is in the ignition.

Thanks
Do you have a factory alarm installed as well?
If so you may need to override that to allow it to start.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:10 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Hmm my best guess without knowing the wireing information for your model alarm and 4Runner. Sounds like if the only time it will remote start is if you have the key is on, sounds like you have the power source to the relay pack going to +12v only when the key is on and not to a constant +12v source but this is only a guess.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:00 AM

After reading a few websites a little more closely, I figured out you have to buy a bypass module to make the computer think that the key is in the ignition. Picked it up at the local audio shop for $30, put it in, and now everything is working fine.
Install was a little trick thanks to the crappy directions, but remote start for $75 total isn't too bad!!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:00 PM

I tried researching this mod a while back but nothing came out of it. The only thing holding me back is wether or not that bypass module (which is necessary i beleive) makes my car less secure because it makes the chip in the key useless. Any links to the kit you bought?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FlzRider
I tried researching this mod a while back but nothing came out of it. The only thing holding me back is wether or not that bypass module (which is necessary i beleive) makes my car less secure because it makes the chip in the key useless. Any links to the kit you bought?
Yes, the bypass does disable this feature but all the other security stays in place.
The convienence of an alarm with remote start more than makes up for it in my book.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

i guess the newer keys have the transponders built in, so u need a bypass module. i had one installed in my 98, didnt need the bypass module. no bypass module means 1 extra key.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:37 PM

I'm about to do the same instal in my '00 Runner. The remote starter is made by Bulldog Security and I am just waiting to get a "T Harness" to simplify the install (less cutting and splicing of the factory wiring harness). I understand that I will need a bypass module as well. Bulldog apparently has two types of bypass modules - one where you insert a key and the other has the ability to "learn" the bypass codes / signals.

Was it a real PITA to install?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 AM

My remote starter is made by Bulldog Security also. I didn't get the "T harness", prob would have saved some time but I figured I didn't really need it. The install wasn't too bad, just took me a little while to find a few of the wires b/c this was my first time installing something like this. I got a universal bypass module from the local audio store, so I did lose a key but I had three to begin with so I didn't care. The bypass module was pretty easy to install, prob only took me 15 min.
Overall, the install isn't too bad and well worth the $$ you save by doing it yourself.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:43 AM

Unless I'm reading something wrong, I don't think that the bypass module makes the transponder useless. The only time that the bypass module disables it is when the power is sent to the remote starter (and also to the bypass module) and is started. I am pretty sure that the transponder is still effective the rest of the time.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Unless I'm reading something wrong, I don't think that the bypass module makes the transponder useless. The only time that the bypass module disables it is when the power is sent to the remote starter (and also to the bypass module) and is started. I am pretty sure that the transponder is still effective the rest of the time.
In order for the truck to start and run the transponder must be in range of the reciever (ie within about 18" of the key cylinder....it is not a very powerful signal). Yes there is a tiny chip built into the key (you will know the difference when you go to get it copied, non chiped goes for like $4-8 and the chipped are like $25-40). The bypass goes around this and basically makes the vehicle think the key is always there, but yes, only when running.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:21 PM

From what i read this is what i understand (correct me if im wrong) Im not exactly sure which method keeps the transponder security feature enabled? But It seems like a bypass module is necessary,(two versions) one with a spare key in it, one without.

Is there a remote starter kit, if so, where is a reliable place i can purchase one? And are there any downsides to having a rem. starter?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get as much info as i can. Thanks

Last edited by FlzRider; 01-05-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Is there a remote starter kit, if so, where is a reliable place i can purchase one? And are there any downsides to having a rem. starter?
A few people here (myself included) have bought and self-installed a Commando system:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/

I have the the two-way FM-870 and love it. The install was "interesting" the first time through, it took me about 4-5 hours. If I were to do it again, it'd be about 2 hours.

I've also installed their RS-560 which is a one-way unit and it's been awesome.

fwiw, working through the options on the site says that a 1999 4Runner will require a bypass module. They have two options - one is transponder based for $20, and a more generic one which is $35. The transponder based one will maintain the security of the embedded chip in the key since it'll be tagged to your transponder.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:22 PM

The FM-870 is a little more than what im looking for. I just want a remote starter that is fairly simple to use, reliable, and wont take away any security features my car already has. Anyone know something that will fit this bill?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:58 PM

The FM-870 is a little more than what im looking for. I just want a remote starter that is fairly simple to use, reliable, and wont take away any security features my car already has. Anyone know something that will fit this bill?
Check the Commando RS-560.... Hard to beat for $80:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1186

Or, the EZ-2500 for $65:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...?ProductID=495

Stay FAR away from Ultra Start. I bought one and sent it back the next day. It was JUNK.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:16 PM

The EZ-2500 looks pretty good. Do i still need to buy a bypass module, if so, which is the best for my application (i want to keep all my existant safety features)? Anything else necessary or that will make it easier to install? Thanks alot for the help
Old 01-06-2005, 02:54 PM

The EZ-2500 looks pretty good. Do i still need to buy a bypass module, if so, which is the best for my application (i want to keep all my existant safety features)? Anything else necessary or that will make it easier to install? Thanks alot for the help
You'll still need the bypass since you need to get the ignition hot for engine to catch while the starter turns it over.

As for "which one", I'm really not comfortable deciding for you since I don't have any first-hand experience. Drop a line or a call to "Ryan" (ryan@slickcar.com) from Commando, he's always been quite helpful to me.

Tell me "Mark from Seattle" says "hi"!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:14 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something to think about is if you go with just a remote start unit and keep the factory alarm system you will more than likely be carrying both remotes around
just think about it, sucks to use one remote to start it and another to unlock the doors, I recently installed my system and removed my old factory one.
I prefer one remote any one system
Old 01-06-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by WT
Something to think about is if you go with just a remote start unit and keep the factory alarm system you will more than likely be carrying both remotes around
ooo! good point!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:04 PM

I actually dont mind having two remotes. I have barely anything on my keychain.

I looked at a couple places online and am having trouble finding a toyota transponder bypass module. The ones at commando car alarms dont say if they are the kind that require a key or not?

Quick Reply: Remote Starter...Ignition Override