YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Remote Mount Turbos

I picked up an issue of Turbo and High Tech Performance for some reading material on the 7 hour drive to Arkansas. There was an article on remote mount turbos. Basically it's a turbo mounted where your muffler would be. Turbo lag isn't an issue, because of the speed of the exhaust gas and the large amount of straight pipe used.

I'm a little lazy so I'm not going to go over the whole article, but they dyno'd a stock '96 and up V6 Tacoma at 140 rwhp. After the turbo, ~220 rwhp. Pretty impressive. Anybody heard of this?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
zach34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:45 PM   #2

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Doesn't make any sense. Love to see the details, but traditionally turbo lag is reduced by the shortest possible pipes, both exhaust and boost side. Mounting the turbo that far away sounds like a recipe for turbo lag measured with a calendar... We played with turbos many years ago on motorcycles, and even a few inches of extra piping made huge lag. Of course it's worse on a bike where the throttle is *really* essential to your steering.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:46 AM   #3

here is the link
Old 09-06-2004, 03:18 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Greetings,
I was always under the impression turbo lag was a result of how long it took the turbine to spin up. Today, with the light ceramic turbines and the really close tolerance bearings, I think lag was almost a non-issue now.
Gale Banks has a great site on turbos charging if you want some good information.

2003 Mustang Mach 1, 4.6 DOHC V8. Cold air intake,magnaflow cross over and cat back, Custom tune by Predator

SOLD:2001 Tacoma XCab, Michelin LTX, AmeraGuard Spray in Liner, Access Roll-Up Tonneau Cover, Synthetic Oils
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Foo Fighter
the routing of the tube is scary going over the subframe just think if you crushed that out in the trail
Old 09-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #6

Even better look how low the intake is try crossing some water with it. It might not be for everyone.
OME lift, Airflow snorkel kit.
34x10.50 Super Swamper LTB's
Stubb's Rock sliders.
Few dents and dings and rock rash.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3830800
934rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:30 PM   #7

The website doesn't have any useful info, so I can't tell exactly how this is supposed to work, but I tend to agree with Flamedx4 on this one. Having built a few turbo'd motors, my experience is you want less piping between the engine and the turbo, not more.
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to superjoe83
and the size of the turbo will determine the amount of lag also
1984 SR5 4runner, 22re, 5-speed, chevy 63"s, rears up front custom pack, BBCS shocks, 2" BL, 5.29's, welded rear, Detroit in front, Longfields, IFS Rear, 39.5x13.50x15 IROK's, Marlin's High Steer, MC07 with stock cases, Marlin's cross member, tube bumper, Warn XD9000, Allied Beadlocks
1999 Taco 2.7 5-speed, LCE Header, Jardine 2.25 Cat-Back, 3" Downey Coilover, 33x13.5 Toyo MT's, ARB Bull Bar, Retrofitted Acura TL HID Projectors with 50W ballasts and 50W DL50 Philips 3900k bulbs
superjoe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:38 PM   #9
Contributing Member

$3500 price tag is a bit much for a product that may make your truck a bit difficult to off road with too,I'd just spend less and get a supercharger.
X-AWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to dbikeman
They offer a snorkel for it.
99 scoop hood and 99 headlights
Clarion VRX935VD 7" flip out, Excessive Amperage 200amp alt.
Kicker Kx1200.1 amp, Eclipse Titanium 12
Stinger 0 gauge and stinger cap. Xstatic Batcap
Jaos Aero Billet grille Jason B clears in the corners and bumpers
Clear Tailights
Magnaflow 18" with 3" Magnaflow tip
dbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Bumpin' Yota
Turbo lag is a result of the a/r of the exhust housing, the trim of the turbine, the size of the turbine, and the size of the compressor wheel, I'd imagine that longer piping will slow spool up too.

The LONG piping there cant help, one does want HOT gas moving FAST hitting the turbine....however even with the heat and speed loss in the piping, you'd just reduce the a/r and keep a t3 housing most likely.... If I had to guess it's T3 at around .48 or so.... Im also betting the compressor wheel is moderately sized as well to reduce any lag. I can see it working; not as well as a conventional turbo, but better than NA for power, yes.

Personally I have a bad taste in my mouth for the TuRD blower after hearing about ALL of the problems....
2004 SBN Street C champ
2004 SBN Advncd NW Champ
2004 Former WR Holder in NW.
SPL: 159.8db @ 42hz

In loving memory of Jamie Riggs 5/15/85 - 10/8/04

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 09-06-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Bumpin' Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #12
Threadstarter [OP]

Yeah, I don't think it's for those of us who go wheeling(hopefully I'll get around to it one of these days).
zach34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:03 PM   #13

Sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if you can route the intake into the back cabin of the 4Runner? If it makes more power than the TRD supercharger with that configuration, it can't be too bad. Do you think that it will need the fuel upgrades like the supercharger? I think I would rather go this route than the supercharger because it looks like an easier setup.
98 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD, stock with a lot of dreams for my Runner. So much to do, so little money............ Oh yeah, the elbow mod. I live in NYC. With all the bumps and potholes, I don't have to go off-roading.
havic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:19 PM   #14
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

On a Tacoma.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp2/turbo.jpg

Looks pretty cool if it does not get in the way while on the trail.
FJ Cruiser BuildupNew Roof Top TentVideo Of My Penthouse Part IIRehinge Your ARB/Engel Fridge
Blog About Roof Top TentsFJC Magazines Online Review Of My TentMy Camping Gear Review Blog
"Hey Corey, where is my thread?"
Missing your thread, then click
here

http://yotatech.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3&dateline=1270301800
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by havic
Sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if you can route the intake into the back cabin of the 4Runner? If it makes more power than the TRD supercharger with that configuration, it can't be too bad. Do you think that it will need the fuel upgrades like the supercharger? I think I would rather go this route than the supercharger because it looks like an easier setup.
I agree with you man. Not so much because it's an eaiser setup, but because it doesn't seem to have the problems that the supercharger has.
oly884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #16

Oly884, it looks like they gave us the foundation. If you can get someone to weld the turbo mount to the exhaust pipe, and route all the pipes yourself, I think you can get it done cheaper than the price they suggest. Again, I would try to mount my intake higher, in the back cabin, or something that will keep it dry.
98 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD, stock with a lot of dreams for my Runner. So much to do, so little money............ Oh yeah, the elbow mod. I live in NYC. With all the bumps and potholes, I don't have to go off-roading.
havic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #17
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
On a Tacoma.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp2/turbo.jpg

Looks pretty cool if it does not get in the way while on the trail.
hahah offroading with a turbo charged truck...that would be interesting.....picture this : You're climbing a steep grade and have no power because the turbo isnt spooled yet but it is interfering with the natural exhaust flow so you have less power in the low rpm range then before you got it....so your climbing and climbing and giving it more gas...nice and easy, nice and easy...then BAM here comes your additional 50 horsepower like a kick in the ass.....now your spinning wheels and in a crazy position...no thanks

plus think about it 90% of 4wheel low offroading is in the low rpm range....a turbo is useless in the low rpm range....if a turbo was a good idea offroad people would actually use them.....

I drove a 4 banger turbo charged jeep offroad and it was very scarey even on a moderate trail. I didnt feel safe enough to try it on the rocks because I was scared of the rush of power while being in a hairy situation. Even with the owner driving it was scarey and I think he was pretty scared too.
CynicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #18
Contributing Member

that web page has a sorry comparison to the TRD supercharger.....they got 203 HP out of the trd supercharge
Old 09-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicX
that web page has a sorry comparison to the TRD supercharger.....they got 203 HP out of the trd supercharge
That did seem a little bit low for the TRD supercharger, but what's the average hp loss through the drivetrain on our trucks?
oly884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:04 PM   #20
Contributing Member

this isnt a bad idea if you want something simple....but a turbo under the hood will have less lag and bigger power they say the HP goes from 140-220...which is pretty good for a simple install....80 HP

take the scooby 2.5 165 HP and put the sti turbo on it and you'll be running around 300 HP (with other upgrades of course, injectors, intercooler)....135 HP gain...

put a bigger turbo on a vehicle with the turbo up front you'll get more lag but bigger power....unlike the sts which is to far downstream to put anything bigger on....

in the video on the sts page it says the turbo condenses cool air and sends this cool air back to the engine...which is pretty odd considering when you condense air its gonna get really hot, this is what the intercooler on a car with a normal turbo is cooling, this hot condensed air...that makes the page kinda shadey too me....

I think I'd stick with the TRD supercharger.....

and dont get me wrong I'm not knockin this product, I just dont think its very useful for offroading and its webpage isnt very actuate....
Old 09-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22r, 46, 4runner, dohc, fj, mount, offroading, psi, rear, remote, required, sc400, turbo, walboro