Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

remote car starters

Old 11-19-2003, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question remote car starters

hey i have a 99 4runner. I知 thinking about getting a remote starter/keyless entry and i was wondering what you guys have bought, weather you like the one you have, know of a good brand or have heard anyone problems with installing them. And overall what you think of them...i have heard of a couple whore stories of peoples cars taking of on them when they go to start them so I知 a little indecisive about getting one.

thanx
Old 11-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Re: remote car starters

Originally posted by mike_04
...i have heard of a couple whore stories of peoples cars taking of on them when they go to start them so I知 a little indecisive about getting one.

thanx
Umm...that's horror stories Sorry. Don't mean to bust your chops

Back to the question...
I have a Python Responder. It comes standard with remote start and keyless entry. I added a proximity detector on the interior as well and hood and rear hatch pin. The feature I like most is the two-way remote. If someone sets off the alarm with 1/4 mile of where I am, I will know exactly where they hit it. I can also start my truck from almost 1/4 mile away and it will be warm by the time I get to it.
Last winter, it was really handy. I'd leave the heater set on defrost and start it from my office. By the time I put my coat on and walked out to the truck, it was warm and nearly defrosted.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a DEI 550. Alarm with integral remote start. Great in winter and summer. Nice and warm or cool when you get in - like having a valet!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Just out of curiousity - if you have a remote start do you have to disengage it to start?

i.e. remote start... walk to car. Disengage and then start again?

OR do you just walk in and put the truck in drive and take off?

OR do you get in, put the key in the ignition and THEN take off?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

I got the viper 2way with remote start and it is definitely handy. I can warm up the truck before I get in so it can shift into overdrive as soon as I take off. On my remote i can start it and turn it off from the remote and to drive i jsut get in and stick the key in the ignition, turn it to on, and step on the brake. that activates it so u can drive so even if u remote started it, someone without a key cant drive it away.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:27 AM

remote start super easy to install....

partsexpress sells alarms with remote start built in for about 160/ great deal, I have had mine for just about 2 years now....
Old 11-20-2003, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Just out of curiousity - if you have a remote start do you have to disengage it to start?

I used to have it in my car. What you had to do was stick the key in the ignition and turn it within 10 seconds of opening the door or the car will shut off.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Henryv
I got the viper 2way with remote start and it is definitely handy. I can warm up the truck before I get in so it can shift into overdrive as soon as I take off. On my remote i can start it and turn it off from the remote and to drive i jsut get in and stick the key in the ignition, turn it to on, and step on the brake. that activates it so u can drive so even if u remote started it, someone without a key cant drive it away.
Which viper was it? The 550HF/550ESP like Cebby has?.....or something else?

Anyone know which viper alarms have remote start besides those two?
I am in the market for one myself!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:51 AM

Mine's the ESP. Here's a link
Old 11-20-2003, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
Mine's the ESP. Here's a link
How much did you pay for just the unit (ie not incl install)?
I am looking to get one off ebay but it is quite risky to buy one someone pulled out.
If a new one is not too bad ($$$$ wise) I will go that way instead.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude

I have the DEI Remote Start module connected to my Python alarm. I have had it installed for 8 years now and have enjoyed it ever since I installed it. I have never had a problem with it and like having the car warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Typically, remote start units are only installed on automatic transmission cars. This is because these cars are not left in gear when the engine is shut off.....thus upon start up, the car will not launch itself. I have seen them installed on manual trans cars and each one of those has had an incident of the car moving when started remotely because the owner forgot to leave them in neutral.

As far as how the DEI units work for disengaging. The vehicle is started remotely. I have 10 minutes to get into the vehicle and put the key into the ignition before the remote start unit shuts the motor down. Like wise, if you get in and press the brake pedal , like you were going to shift it into gear and drive, before putting the key in the ignition, the unit will shut off the motor, If you get in and insert the key and turn it to the "On" position, not the "Start" position which would turn the starter over while the truck is running, this disengages the remote start unit. You can then shift into gear and drive off.

I will have one of these installed on any and all of my vehicles in the future.

David
Old 11-20-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
How much did you pay for just the unit (ie not incl install)?
I am looking to get one off ebay but it is quite risky to buy one someone pulled out.
If a new one is not too bad ($$$$ wise) I will go that way instead.
They only sold it with install included (long time ago). Parts only were probably $100+/- (??). I would not buy one of these from ebay. You have no way of knowing if it works. For all you know, the hack that removed it shorted it out when he cut the wiring harness to remove it. Of course, it would take you the time to install it to find this out...

Get new - I've been there with used alarm equipment. Not worth the time and hassles.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Which viper was it? The 550HF/550ESP like Cebby has?.....or something else?

Anyone know which viper alarms have remote start besides those two?
I am in the market for one myself!
Mine was the 790zx i think not quite sure what the letters were but im pretty sure it was 700something. For my alarm you could get it on ebay for around 200 or less but like cebby says its a risk. I just got it at a shop with install, which costs alot more, but is convenient and if anything goes wrong with it there is a warrany and I could just bring it back to the shop to get it fixed.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

The 790xz has the pager function with LCD display too right?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:10 PM

so how much would it cost to take out an old alarm, and put in a new one with remote start?
Old 12-09-2003, 06:17 PM

just wanted to post that I installed a Valiant remote starter - the one with a 1,000 feet range. Got mine from JC Whitney on the web. $99 + tax. You get 2 remotes - one of them has a mini antennae on it and really helps the effective range. Pretty easy to install but I remember that older remote starts used to have a way for you to configure and setup the crank time, nowadays - you have to tap into the tach signal wire (in my case, '96 4Runner, at the ignitor) and configure the device to used the signal from the tach wire to figure out crank time.
In Chicago, it's great to push a button, and let the engine and truck warm up a bit before driving off.
Like the others, it require the ignition key to be inserted to the on position before you can put your foot on the brake and get the 4Runner in gear.
more info? www.icdynamics.com

After putting in the remote starter I can't see not having one. Used to freeze my arse off waiting for the truck to warm up in minus 0 degree weather in Chicago. Now I can sit in the comfort of the indoor while the truck gets a chance to warm up.

This system has been reliable and trouble free.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Is there anyway to configure the second button on the stock alarm to work with a remote start system? The range kinda sucks but I dont really need to upgrad the alarm just yet.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:58 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i would love this if i didnt have to park a few blocks away :cry:
Old 12-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lee
i would love this if i didnt have to park a few blocks away :cry:
I think some have a cell phone start feature.
Might look into that type instead.

Getting ready to install my Viper 550 ESP (w/ remote start) soon!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by Mossback74
Is there anyway to configure the second button on the stock alarm to work with a remote start system? The range kinda sucks but I dont really need to upgrad the alarm just yet.

i agree..i would like to keep the stock and use the 2nd button for start..but i dont think it's available...i could be wrong..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: remote car starters