Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recommendations for a low profile roof rack...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for a low profile roof rack...

I wanted member recomendations for a low profile roof cargo rack that sits flush with the existing factory roof rack (i.e. Thule, Yakima, etc.)
Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM

I went with a surco and just fab'ed my own mounts, most if not all stock mounts sit way too high. I'll try and find a picture later.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seen these: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/n...unners-182623/
Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM

defenderrack.com

defender rack is by far the cleanest install and rack

ill try and get some pics for you tonight you side the cross members out of the factory rack and slide their brackets in.....very study and not made from cheap thin metal like surco's i trashed 2 of those before i went with this rack.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 PM

I've got a Yakima Load Warrior on my 4runner, and it works great for me, not to big IMO, I love it, very useful for sure. Def. doesn't sit flush with the factory rack though, but still it's a great roof rack if you decide to go away from the flush with the factory rack route.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a lot of us are running Coleman Safari Racks which were a closeout at Costco. I am not sure if they are still available but they were or are quite affordable.

They are designed to sit up atop the factory cross bars which is typically too high for a lifted Runner in a normal home garage.

I am adapting some Metric 6 hex head bolts to screw mine down straight to the rail strips using the sliding attachment nuts. Hope to have it done this 4th of July weekend.

The key to mounting flush to the roof is to remove the factory cross bars, take your time removing those pesky clips at each end of each rail. Be prepared if you break one or more, use a rubber mallet and a wide blade screwdriver with the end taped to apply pressure forward or backward on the rail strips and take your time to avoid breaking anything.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Costco no longer is selling the Coleman racks, but if you get those mounts made could you PM me about it? would really like some pictures or at least an idea of what you have done to get it flush mounted
Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 AM

pitpatt will do just please private message me with a real email address for photos.

the basic idea is just drill through the lower tubular framing and screw them down into the roof rails existing. The slider nuts within the rail tracks are used to screw into tightening them in place against the rails.

I 'll get some pictures, my teenage assistant-actually he is the brains behind the outfit- is away but we'll get it done here fairly quickly. The snow is receding rapidly off the trails out here and I am heeding it's call....
Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
pitpatt will do just please private message me with a real email address for photos.

the basic idea is just drill through the lower tubular framing and screw them down into the roof rails existing. The slider nuts within the rail tracks are used to screw into tightening them in place against the rails.

I 'll get some pictures, my teenage assistant-actually he is the brains behind the outfit- is away but we'll get it done here fairly quickly. The snow is receding rapidly off the trails out here and I am heeding it's call....
cool, will do thanks! and what is snow?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:09 AM

good info ya'll. im lookin at getting one for my surf....
Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Bajarack
Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by b18vteceg
defenderrack.com

defender rack is by far the cleanest install and rack

ill try and get some pics for you tonight you side the cross members out of the factory rack and slide their brackets in.....very study and not made from cheap thin metal like surco's i trashed 2 of those before i went with this rack.
100% agreed. defender is the nicest look by far http://defenderrack.com/products.asp?id=9 Light tabs are great and its not thin yakima or thule. those things look like shopping carts
Old 12-27-2010, 02:43 AM

I want one of those stealth racks from gobi.
http://www.gobitoyota.com/96-4runner.htm
Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM

any rack can become low profile....

just wanted to update an idea that ryani led me to-

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...mation-217597/

Most any rack can become low profile-as stated above-by not using the factory cross bars to mount it to.

Ryani showed me how to use electrical channel (brand name Unistrut) to fab up my own mounts. I used spring nuts to attach the rack to the Unistrut. I used metric hardware to hold the Unistrut to the factory rails. Removing only one bolt per mount allows me to remove the entire rack in seconds now. My brackets stay in place full time.

Even though I am 3" suspension lifted and 1" body lifted I can still fit through my normal sized garage. Plus mounting the cargo basket closer to the roof cuts down on wind drag-my sunroof wind deflector works well to raise the air flow up above my rack.

Just throwing this out there-rather than spend money on a pricey rack, consider low profile mounting brackets instead.

Thanks again Ryani for leading me onward on this mod. I finally got it done in August of this year, and it is holding up nicely.

I likely have pics of this in my Facebook link. But if not just let me know and I will get them on there.