Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recommendations for cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for cold air intake?

I recently bought a 2000 4Runner SR5 and have heaerd that adding a good cold air intake can increase power and MPG. Does anyone have particular brands and models that they have installed easily and had success with?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
noone really sells a "true" cold air intake

NO K&N
AEM sells a nice dry filter
Amsoil has a nice filter too

Search IRS MOD people really like that

Could also put in a snorkle. That will give you cold air

Welcome BTW

Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 AM

x2 on the snorkel, unless your rig is a pavement queen, then no prblem using a dry air intake/filter setup

and welcome!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

i just did the deckplate and ISR and my god its a decent improvement for $13. Search Isr and Deckplate. Lots will come up. oh yeah my truck is stock otherwise and on a 400 miles trip i got 23mpg.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, here is the deal

1) no cold air intake

ambient temperature, 70 degrees
intake temperature, 72 degrees

2) cold air intake

ambient temperature, 70 degrees
intake temperature, 71 degrees

both while driving after 15 minutes at 45 miles per hour

do u think it will make a monster difference ?
I know these numbers from trying it myself and using
a scanner to read intake temps from the ECU

unless I am doing it wrong....

but yeah if you can run cooler air it will save gas that is fo'sho

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 07-16-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 AM

So an intake will increase gas milage?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM

I installed the AEM Brute Force intake on my truck and I like it. They use a dryflow filter that doesn't need to be reoiled, only cleaned once in a while. Fuel economy has probably increased a little. I have to say it sounds really nice when you get on the gas pedal, but it's very quiet otherwise.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by smith89panthers
So an intake will increase gas milage?
no

the theory is that...
cooler air can has more oxygen per cubic unit, therefore betterer burn, the ecu adjusts and supplies a wee bit less gas for any given power output

stock air intake takes a long path inside the enigne bay to the throttle body and the air warms up, expanding and then reducing it's efficiency

buy shortening the air path, routing it away from the warm engine, or making sure the air is cooler somehow, you gain efficiency. the ECU is still always running the show, but it does figure out that hey i need less gas to make X amount of power...or you can think of it as more power for the same amount of gas. either way, a smidgen of performance only, because the ECU can only do so much. to gain TRUE big power gains, you need to change the programming of the ECU to match any engine mods. then you can truly get power out of the motor.

there are places that will reprogram yer ECU to match certain modifications.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 07-16-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 PM

wow, nuff said! Thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 PM

I had a volant cold air intake on my 02, it was a beast, I'd definitely get that! You can get it at www.burtmanindustries.com
Old 07-17-2008, 04:48 AM

cold air intakes do not give power nor do they help with gas mileage. the oiled filters do nothing but coat your intake and allow dirt to stick to your intake.. such a waste of money.. use paper filters.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Spending that kinda dough on something that gives negligible HP gains and MPGs is a bit silly. You be better off just saving it for gas instead of spending $2-300 on a fancy setup since it's just a pretty piece under the hood and you won't be making your money back for the minor MPG gain if any at all.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Spending that kinda dough on something that gives negligible HP gains and MPGs is a bit silly. You be better off just saving it for gas instead of spending $2-300 on a fancy setup since it's just a pretty piece under the hood and you won't be making your money back for the minor MPG gain if any at all.
You're right, it isn't the best bang for the buck. BUT, my intake sounds awesome when I open up the throttle. This mean growl escapes from the little 5vz that is very satisfying. You also get a little extra horsepower which is nice, but not very noticeable. Is it worth the $200-$300 bucks? I think it was, but I can see how others wouldn't.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:07 AM

oh yeah but the sound...it sounds tough...

what are ya, like 8 years old ?

guess what ? your neighbors and the rest of the planet don't wanna hear your intake or exhaust growl.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
oh yeah but the sound...it sounds tough...

what are ya, like 8 years old ?

guess what ? your neighbors and the rest of the planet don't wanna hear your intake or exhaust growl.

uhhhhhh ok dude, what's wrong with liking the way your engine sounds??? And no smartass I don't go flying around in my neighborhood. But you know for those times when you have to, like, accelerate?? (I'm sure even YOU do that) it sounds good. It's not like it sounds like a friggin Mustang with no mufflers for christ's sake. I'm sure people around me can't even hear the damn thing.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

I get the same intake growl and the few extra ponies by doing the deckplate mod which can cost nothing if you just want the hole in the airbox or spend $12 for the deckplate.

You don't need to spend a couple of hundred to get the growl.

IMO it's still a bit silly to throw money on one.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
uhhhhhh ok dude, what's wrong with liking the way your engine sounds??? And no smartass I don't go flying around in my neighborhood. But you know for those times when you have to, like, accelerate?? (I'm sure even YOU do that) it sounds good. It's not like it sounds like a friggin Mustang with no mufflers for christ's sake. I'm sure people around me can't even hear the damn thing.
I call them as I see 'em

noise limits for new vehicles are there for a reason.
your friggin car doesn't need to make noise.

oh yeah I accelerate all the time, and my 4runner is nice and quiet when it does

"But you know for those times when you have to, like, accelerate?? (I'm sure even YOU do that) it sounds good. "

it sounds good to you maybe, but no one else wants to hear extra racket.
come down out of the fantasy land your head is in and focus on reality.

If you're going to make noise, keep your hours and watch where you do it. Keep it away from anyone just trying to be a person.

Noise is a problem. If you add to noise, you're a problem. Be decent or get off the road. Be whatever you like, a mean guy, a tough guy---on your own dime. But don't dump a buncha poison into my audio watersupply to pretend to fix your own personal insecurity. Anyone who sparks up a loud vehicle next to an unwilling human being deserves to have that vehicle turned off.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 07-18-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM

If you want sound, get a new muffler welded on. I'd leave the OEM paper filter in place. Nothing filters better.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
I call them as I see 'em

noise limits for new vehicles are there for a reason.
your friggin car doesn't need to make noise.

oh yeah I accelerate all the time, and my 4runner is nice and quiet when it does

"But you know for those times when you have to, like, accelerate?? (I'm sure even YOU do that) it sounds good. "

it sounds good to you maybe, but no one else wants to hear extra racket.
come down out of the fantasy land your head is in and focus on reality.

If you're going to make noise, keep your hours and watch where you do it. Keep it away from anyone just trying to be a person.

Noise is a problem. If you add to noise, you're a problem. Be decent or get off the road. Be whatever you like, a mean guy, a tough guy---on your own dime. But don't dump a buncha poison into my audio watersupply to pretend to fix your own personal insecurity. Anyone who sparks up a loud vehicle next to an unwilling human being deserves to have that vehicle turned off.
Ok........wow, I don't really know where to start on this one. I think you may be misunderstanding me here, I really don't drive around like a crazy person revving my engine next to people. I drive a Toyota truck, you know how slow they are! But on occasion everybody has to accelerate onto the highway or to merge with traffic, and I like how the intake sounds. It's not overly loud AT ALL, and it's dead quiet most of the time. Hell, the radiator fan is louder than the damn intake. I'm a very courteous driver, much more so than most of the people I live around. I don't "spark up" a loud vehicle next to people, WTF are you talking about?? Have you actually heard the V6 with an intake on it? You act like I'm driving a top fuel dragster around town.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I get the same intake growl and the few extra ponies by doing the deckplate mod which can cost nothing if you just want the hole in the airbox or spend $12 for the deckplate.

You don't need to spend a couple of hundred to get the growl.

IMO it's still a bit silly to throw money on one.
Oh yeah I know about the deckplate mod, I totally understand. I have always used AEM intakes in my vehicles so I really trust them. I don't even care about the growl that much, but it's a nice touch. I really liked the dryflow filter, that was probably my biggest factor in buying it. Although I might put the stock box back in, I wouldn't want to go and 'poison the audio watersupply.'

Quick Reply: Recommendations for cold air intake?