Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recall Question for my 1997 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall Question for my 1997 4Runner

Hi,
I got a recall notice for my 1997 4WD, 4 Cylinder 4Runner with manual transmission about a year and half ago and I have been ignoring it. The title of the recall is "REAR SUSPENSION SAFTEY RECALL NOTICE". The problem says "A combination of heavy loading (simultaneous loading to rear gross axle weight rating (rear GAWR) and gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and specific severe steering maneuvers obseerved during testing may cause the 1996 to early 1998 model year (MY) 2WD 4Runner to lose directionaly stability. This may result in a loss of control and may increase the risk of accident. "
Further more
"Toyota has included the 1996 to early 1998 4WD 4Runners in this SCC, although the 4WD has different rear suspension characteristics. The Special Service Campaign may have a beneficial effect on ride comfort for 1996 to early 1998 MY 4WD 4 Runners under certain load and rough road conditions."

and on and on....

I have been ignoring this bulletion because of the following:
(1) My car is a 4WD
(2) I have been maintaning my own car and it has been running super since I bought it new (it has 77K MILES so far and zero problem) and I don't trust what those people in the service department will do to my car. I am afraid in addition to the free replacement that they need to do they are also going to say more bad things about my car and charging me $$$ for their diagnosis. They always has something bad to say about your car and recommending you to fix (my friend is experiencing this with his Toyota...the mechanics kept asking him to replace expensive parts like radiator etc but the problem still exists)

Having said that, does anybody know what suspension part is being replaced? I am wondering if I should take it to the dealer this time since they claims it improves ride. Any comment?

Thanks,
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

I bought my 97 used a few years ago. The prior owner had just completed the recall, even though it was a 4wd. His reasoning was that the coil springs were part of the replacement. He had the coils replaced to avoid future tail sagging as seen on many 4runners. (I cannot tell you that the rear coils were replaced)

However, he had a visit similar to what you were expecting where the service department wanted to change the coolant and perform an alignment due to "cupping". (Prior owner opted to change the coolant himself as well as take the truck to the shop where the tires were put on. They saw no cupping, but rotated the tires). Below is a snippet from the recall as found online at www.nhtsa.gov

VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:18 PM

Jim, Have you ever had some gear or several passengers in the back seat and hit a bump only to have it bottom out real easy? That's basically what this recall fixes. If I remember right - you get new springs, and new bumpstops with a cone that goes down into the spring. I remember this being brought up a while back and someone posted a pic of the distance between tha rear axel and bumpstop and it was like an inch. Wouldn't take much for it to bottom out.

I too havn't done the recall, but I have replaced my rear spings with aftermarket lift springs - so that pretty much takes care of it.

John
Old 02-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

I had the recall done on my 4wd and the dealer offered me to install the springs for a limited. They ride higher. After that I picked up some tacoma front struts at the boneyard and had a fairly cheap lift. My 4runner came with 15" wheels and 28" tires from the factory though.

Just a heads up.

Arjan
Old 02-09-2004, 01:40 PM

I'm taking mine in next week to have the new stuff put on. Free new springs and whatnot to replace my 7 year old ones. Sounds like a good deal to me. I wonder if they will throw my cornfeds on for me while they're down there?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:13 PM

Do you know if they are still offering to replace the springs at toyota dealers (I live in california) since the recall was announced 2 years ago (to my understanding).

My 4unner sags and free new rear springs sounds great.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:16 PM

I know they are in TN. the guy I talked to said he did one last week and is doing another besides mine next week.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even if you are going to get the aftermarket springs (which it seems work far better than stock), go get the new ones put in at the dealer and then when you put in the aftermarket ones, sell the others on ebay. It's free money!