Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Recall

does anyone know what they replace on the recal of 4runners i know it is in the rear suspecsion but what parts
Old 05-19-2003, 08:18 AM

Coil springs & bump stops, I believe.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

For me it was just my coil springs. Hopefully they didnt short me on the bumpstops!
Old 05-19-2003, 08:35 AM

thanks a lot i think the recall only applies to the 2wd models but they said they would replace mine to so hey i get a new set of springs
Old 05-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

No, it applies to 4WD too. i.e. me.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:40 AM

oh:pat: i thought it was just 2wd i still have not had it fixed
Old 05-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Have them save your old springs when they take them out. You can sell them on ebay. For some reason people want them.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyotaguy,

I just replied to your cupholder post.

I hate to pull the "use the search" card on you, but as a noob, it would be a good thing for you to use it as these questions have been covered before ad naseum! Also in regards to any TSBs or recalls, check http://www.alldata.com or call Toyota Motor Sales USA directly.

In anycase, stick around. There are some great folks here with really helpful advice.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

The problem only affects the 2wd's supposedly, but they are doing 4wd's also since they figured people would get confused.

Found out mine were done previously in New Mexico or something... I bought it used, but I didn't know the thing had been down there!

Does anyone know the date when the recall actually came into effect? I'm just curious...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by denverbikeguy
The problem only affects the 2wd's supposedly, but they are doing 4wd's also since they figured people would get confused.
Forgive me, but I am having a hard time understanding the last part of your statement. Please explain. Who would be confused?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by <96 Runner>
For me it was just my coil springs. Hopefully they didnt short me on the bumpstops!
Should of replaced Springs, added cone insert and new bump stops. Let me know if you get the springs back I may be interested in getting your old ones, I think that the orginals are a tad higher than the replacement ones
Old 05-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WT
Should of replaced Springs, added cone insert and new bump stops. Let me know if you get the springs back I may be interested in getting your old ones, I think that the orginals are a tad higher than the replacement ones
Thanks WT. I will look under there today and check it out.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Forgive me, but I am having a hard time understanding the last part of your statement. Please explain. Who would be confused?
I don't get it either, I'm just stating what I read. Toyota thought that owners of the affected model years would not properly distinguish between 2wd and 4wd, so even though it should only affect the 2wd vehicles (different components I guess) they are doing both.

My guess is one of two things caused this, since if you don't know whether you have 4wd or not you're just dumb: 1, they figured that they have some dumb customers, and by covering all vehicles it would be cheaper than covering a lawsuit, as this is a safety-affecting problem (suspension issues can cause loss of control). Or 2, they realized it did in fact affect the 4wd's in some small amount, not enough to trace but enough to warrant them covering themselves against litigation, so they included them in the recall.

Either way there must be a good reason for doing both when only the 2wd is "officially" problematic, since they would not waste money like that.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

wow, that's strange.

Thanks for clarifying. I cant believe Toyota would actually publish something like that.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:18 PM

Did i miss this recall? I havent heard anything about it. I got my 4runner in feb. so is there a chance it has already been serviced? Someone please let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 01:28 PM

Guys I recommend not getting this recall done. I did it about a year ago. I got new coils and bumpstops installed. The springs suck. My third gen now looks like a second gen a year later because of how bad the springs sag. The bumpstops are also the ones in the center of the coil. I have 2 inches clearance max between the axle and the bumpstop. This is with the truck totally empty and no load in the back. It is also constantly bottoming out on just little bumps.

Now I'm going to replace them with downeys. Just my experience. I definately wish I still had my old coils so i could swap them out untill I get the new downeys.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Hrm. So it's not just me...

See I didn't think it had been done yet (until last week when I found out it had, which had me scratching my head a bit) since I can easily bottom the thing out going over small speed bumps. It's actually kind of embarassing - I always get looks when going to the local starbucks since my runner bottoms as I go to park, and people think I can't drive. Unless I *crawl* over the thing it always happens. The back end also violently gets tossed around if I hit a bump while cornering (even at slow speeds), and I can feel it break traction and swing around until the tires catch again.

I'm not sure what to do about it, I think this is bull˟˟˟˟. I think Toyota has put substandard components on, and I do feel less safe because of it - losing control while turning is not a nice feeling, especially when driving within the speed limit.

So .. what can we do about it? My guess is calling my dealership will result in lots of laughs from the service tech. This needs to go higher.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Billf6531

I guess I must be in the minority. I had the recall done on my 98 Limited, and it improved the ride and load carrying capacity. With a full load of tools, gas, and me, it bottomed out before the change, and didn't thereafter. I also felt less lean on turns with the new springs.

My new 2003 Limited with xreas is another quantum leap ahead., except for the reduced ground clearance.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I think in most cases it might have improved the ride and all (which I'd expect). The conditions I am experiencing almost sound like the things that would happen if they never were done at all according to the SSB (which said it didn't affect 4wd's anyway) - like if I were running 85,000-mile components or ones drastically undersized for the vehicle.

Is there a way to verify the parts that were put on are in fact the right ones and new? I assume the part numbers are different on the reworked components, ya? I'd like to do some home-based verification before involving Toyota, since their first response will be "we did it already, go away". Even if they DID do it right, with the right parts, maybe they got a bad batch or something?

This just isn't right, and that I'm not the only one experiencing it tells me there is a bigger story here.

Last edited by denverbikeguy; 05-20-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:33 PM

great i have got to make a desision get new springs or not do you think they would let me have my old ones so if the new ones suck i can put the old ones back on

Quick Reply: Recall