Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rebuild or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuild or swap?

Should I rebuild my 22R and bore it out any everything or swap maybe a 302 or a V6?? What would be my best bang for a buck? Pros, cons??
Old 01-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats your overall goal for this truck?
Old 01-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

I would imagine the rebuild and boring would be cheaper, easier and faster than an entire swap but maybe not...I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to that...just my $.02

Fink
Old 01-03-2004, 10:31 PM

From what I heard, the 3.0 V6 for a pick-up like yours with stock size tires, can easily spin the tires and its even hard not to. It's plenty of power for a small pick up. **Just ignore what I just said, didn't read your sig, I would go for the 302 engine swap.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:54 PM

I plan for this to by my daily driver so gas milage does matter, but I also take it off road a bit. I want something with more power but I dont know how much I can sqeeze out of the 22R. I also wouldnt mind to swap a bigger engine but $$ is a major factor.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:55 AM

I would say go put a 3.0 v6 in it, they do make kits, and from what people say, its a easy swap...
Old 01-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, from reading your responses as well as others...the 3.0 swap sounds like your best bet.

Fink
Old 01-04-2004, 08:35 AM

I have seen allot of topics on this. I would advise against the 302 v8 swap while it is possible with major mods to your fire wall and hood. You would gain close to the same power to weight ratio with a chevy 4.3 v6.

All that being said I would stick with the 4 cylinder or even look at putting a newer 2.7 tacoma 4cylinder in there. They have about 150-160 stock horse power the same as the older 3.0 v6 and they are a more simpler swap than all the other options!

Plus you can find one with fairly low miles on it for around 1000.00 sometimes less.

Just my 2cents!

Also check out the pirate board if you already havn't don't ask this question there just do a search!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:29 AM

i cant see any threads on a 4.3 conversion. Anyone know any web sites or anything?
Old 01-04-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by playboy
i cant see any threads on a 4.3 conversion. Anyone know any web sites or anything?
Try searching for "swaps" under the Toyota section. Or look up chevy 4.3 v6 swap.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:04 PM

I know Downey Off Road has a wealth of information when it comes to swaps. I think they recommend the 4.3 also, and hve kits for it.

Other wise if you want to stay in the toyota family, I would say the 2.7 four banger. They have more HP than the 3.slow, and you'd also be getting a newer engine with less problems. Unfortunately, I don't know about any kits available for that set up.

robb
Old 01-04-2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by blupaddler
I know Downey Off Road has a wealth of information when it comes to swaps. I think they recommend the 4.3 also, and hve kits for it.

Other wise if you want to stay in the toyota family, I would say the 2.7 four banger. They have more HP than the 3.slow, and you'd also be getting a newer engine with less problems. Unfortunately, I don't know about any kits available for that set up.

robb
Old 01-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine swaps

Having done a SBC swap in an '84 (albeit a long time ago) I guess I can put in 2¢ or so. A swap of any engine other than the one originally installed is not a cheap affair, even if you have a complete donor vehicle to draw from. By using another Toyota engine (2.7, 3.0, 3.4) the cost can be reduced with a donor vehicle. Buying a complete newer Toyota engine can be quite pricey though. For any swap, you're gonna have to lose that G52 tranny you have, I wouldn't even trust one behind a 2.7. It's just a weak POS even behind a 22R.

A few notes I've gathered over the years. I consider a "fair" rating to be roughly comparable to a 22R/RE, "Good" is slightly better, "bad" is worse, etc. Also, when I say "performance", I mean improvement vs. dollars spent, not ¼ mile time, etc.:

Toyota 2.7 I-4: Can and has been done. Supposedly has same bellhousing pattern as 20/22R/RE engines. Exhaust is on opposite side so custom exhaust work is required. No information about motor mount compatability. Fair gas mileage, Good performance.

Toyota 3.0 V-6: Can and has been done. Those I know that have done it have been disappointed by the performance vs dollars spent ratio. Need to either swap in R150F (V6) tranny & transfer or find an R151F (turbo) transmission & transfer and bolt up to V6 bellhousing. G and W series trannies will not bolt up directly. Use the V6 motor mounts, apparently they bolt up to the 4 cylinder frame with minor if any work needed. Fair gas mileage, fair performance.

Toyota 3.4 V-6: Can and has been done with good results. Need to use R150F tranny or R151F tranny & R150F bellhousing. 3VZE motor mounts suppodely work here too. Fair mileage, good performance.

Toyota 5M, 7M, 7MG-TE I-6: Been done on quite few occasions with good results. Engine length poses a few issues. Use R150F or R151F tranny with R154 (Supra) bellhousing. Unsure about motor mounts, but I think the Supra mounts work with minor frame relocation. Fair mileage, good to very good performance.

Chevrolet 4.3 V-6: Fairly easy swap, lots of aftermarket parts available. Stock V-6 radiator works for cooling with outlet reversal. W56 trannies capable of withstanding moderate driving habits. Electronics, power steering, airconditioning, etc. are all minor issues that need to be dealt with when swapping in any non-Toyota engine. Fair mileage, good performance

Chevrolet small-block V-8: Easier swap than many think, especially in a '84 or '85 truck or 4Runner. Engine bay is more than large enough and no firewall/radiator support modifications are necessary with proper engine placement and correct selection of parts (avoid the huge HEI distributors for instance). No Toyota tranny will hold up to the torque. Toyota transfer cases, especially 23-spline do quite well. You can try but you have to baby it (why have it then?) and even still you may find yourself replacing trannies every couple years or so. Needs new radiator for cooling. Massive amounts of aftermarket support to hop up these engines. Bad gas mileage, very good to excellent performance.

Chevrolet big-block V-8: Done with good results but a LOT of custom fabrication. Frame must be reinforced heavily. A front-mounted radiator is impossible. No Toyota transmisions or transfer cases will hold up. The one I did in '90 was bizarre in it's layout. We mounted the engine in the bed and backwards (transmission to the front). The "front" output of the 205 transfer case went backward to a divorced 205 and then on to the axles. Very elaborate and worked quite well. Very tall truck. Very bad mileage, very good to excellent performance.

Ford 5.0 V-8: Very similar to a Chev V-8 swap in terms of diffculty and requirements. Front mounted distributor makes this part of the swap easier. I've heard better reports that use a Crown Victoria donor as opposed to a Mustang. The Mustang engine will go faster, but the Crown Vic has better torque and works better in a truck. It is very close to the 5.0 found in Ford trucks of the same vintage. Bad mileage, very good to excellent performance.

Ford 4.6 V-8: Engine is very wide and probably will not fit in the Toyota engine bay. No known successful swaps.

Chev 2.8 V-6: A worthless engine, lower performance, lower reliability, higher maintenance. I've seen it done, but the owner ripped it out after a few months and went 4.3. An Isuzu 3.1 is derived (and much improved) from this engine and may be a viable option.

Buick 3.8 (231in³) V-6: Used to be a very common swap 20 years ago. The engine must from a RWD car which makes the newest possible donors nearly twenty years old now. Last car to use the engine was '87 Buick Grand National. Engine tends to run a little hot so oversized cooling is required. Lots of aftermarket support available (although dwindling with the decrease in demand) for motor mounts, radiators, adapters, etc. Fair mileage, good performance.

Chevrolet 3.8 (229 in³) V-6: This is NOT the same engine as the Buick of roughly the same displacement (see above). It is an entirely different animal and as far as I know, there are no adapters available for it. I've never heard of a swap involving one. The engines themselves are quite rare, they were only used a couple years and in a couple models, and were not the preferred option (early 80's Camaros come to mind).

Ford 3.8 Supercharged V-6: Seen it done once with good results. Have to research what adapters to use but they are available (5.0 I "think"). Motor mounts are all custom but easily fabbed. Fair mileage, very good performance.

This information is by no means complete, but serves as a rough guide. Just because I don't list an option does not preclude it from being an option. I know of a few odd-balls: a 1.9 liter Saturn FWD engine in an '84, a Toyota Van engine (3Y?) in an '85, a GM 6.5 liter diesel in a '85, and an Isuzu 4-cylinder diesel in an '82. The list of possibilities truly is endless if you want to spend enough money.

Last edited by toy283; 01-04-2004 at 06:19 PM.