Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear window...is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window...is this possible?

I've searched the threads for rear window issues and everyone seems to have trouble getting the window back up once it's down. My problem is a bit different. Recently when I got home, I parked my 4Runner and closed all the windows. But when I got to it in the morning, all the windows were up except the rear window, which was half way down. I don't know if the switch is faulty and that caused it to spontaneously move, but without the keys in the ignition, I don't see how it could've gotten any power. I thought that maybe the mechanism that holds the window in place slipped or something and the window dropped but the window has never shown any sign of trouble. My only other thought is that someone may have tried to slide the window down to get in but there weren't any fingerprints or palm smudges on the glass. This has happened twice so far in the past couple of months. Not sure what's the cause. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this happened once in my old 87, mine was that watter had gotten into the panel right behind the driver, the rear window relay (and the window control from my alarm) was wet and failed.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my key fob get stuck against my other keys and hold down the rear window button. I could see what happened when I took out the keys to roll it back up. Or, was anyone playing around with your keys overnight? They have surprising range, and they will put the window down, but not up.

OOPS-just went back and saw the HALFWAY down. NOT the remote, then.

Last edited by TheDurk; 10-10-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:26 PM

happened to me too, window rolled itself all the way down and wouldn't go back up. i took the cover off and the motor was hot to the touch, disconnected it, plugged it back in after it cooled down and worked fine ever since.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM

mine did the same thing. then i got a window relay on ebay and it still does it.. just not as much. weird.......
Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some folks suggest that you just make a habit of always keeping the window lock master switch in the off position-to eliminate that end of the wiring from the equation.

I have had this occur a couple of times-I come back to my truck and the window is down -I have to think I simply bumped the key fob switch. I have seen myself do it accidently squeezing the keys into my jeans -I have to think it happens at other times and I am just not aware of it.

As to why it was only half way down-perhaps it only stays powered for the 45 second delay(?) for example- When I come back with groceries I hit the key fob to unlock the truck and open the back hatch to load up. If I don't open one of the passenger doors within 45 seconds they lock back up automatically. Perhaps yours stopped rolling down at 45 seconds....
Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't have a key fob to control the rear window, and the key in the hatch lock doesn't work the window anymore either. but i've found that my back window works once in awhile and recently i've noticed that i'll have the window down or halfway down on my drive home and i'll go to roll it up and it's already up! for some reason it rolls itself up now and then, never had it roll down by itself yet. that's the only electrical problem i've had in the 4runner thus far, and so far it hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it.