Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Window Help - Gremlins!!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Window Help - Gremlins!!

I have a '98 4Runner, SR5 with rear hatch window problems. Just yesterday the rear hatch window will go down by itself. No matter if the vehicle is running or not, it will go down all the way. I then have to wait to roll it back up using the console switch. The switch in the hatch key lock won't do it.
It worked perfectly since I got it last fall, now when it is raining it's acting up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/w...ilgate-203505/
Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 AM

Mine is a problem relating to the keyless remote. Its too easy to accidently press the "rear window down" button. A real pain when its raining, not to mention security problems. I wonder about this being triggered by other remotes.

One way to make sure it does not occur is to turn on your rear wipers when you park the truck. Window will not go down if wiper is on.

Bruce in Tsawwassen
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by A2B in a TLC
Mine is a problem relating to the keyless remote. Its too easy to accidently press the "rear window down" button.

Bruce in Tsawwassen
I had this same problem when I first bought my 4runner 10 years ago. I took my keyless apart and cut out the rear window switch. That fixed that problem and I have never missed this feature.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:44 AM

Good thinking, Gerdo.

I have owned 2 1999 4Runner Limiteds over about 5 years. NEVER had to use the remote to lower the rear window. So the feature is more pain than gain.

Bruce
A2B in a TLC
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
I had this same problem when I first bought my 4runner 10 years ago. I took my keyless apart and cut out the rear window switch. That fixed that problem and I have never missed this feature.
I like that idea also--cant tell you how many times i have come out to my truck in the morning and rear window was down.....And i never use this feature either......
Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by hross14
I like that idea also--cant tell you how many times i have come out to my truck in the morning and rear window was down.....And i never use this feature either......
It's simple to do. Just pop the remote open, snip off the switch and pop back together.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies, but I think my problem is different. Mine is a '98, not a '99. I don't have the remote tailgate control, at least I am not familiar with it. I haven't been using the remote for weeks, it stays in my house, far away miles away from where I had the problems.

I finally disconnected the motor tonight, but I want to fix it once it stops raining. I checked the wires, nothing seems to be pinched. I wasn't touching the switch on the console, and like I said, the switch on the tailgate didn't work right either.

I did some Googling and found this: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...wn-itself.html. It is for the remote on the '99. It doesn't apply to me.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by hross14
I've never thought of this.. kinda worries me now. Makes me want to go check my rear window.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 PM

I had most of those same problems. I tracked it down to a couple of broken wires in the convoluted rubber that houses the entire wiring for the tailgate. It feeds from the body to the tailgate on top. I also took the plastic piece that holds the wiring, I never put it back on. This allows the wiring to move easier and will hopefully keep from breaking more wires.

Look there first.

Even if this isn't the problem, take the plastic piece off and leave it off!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:50 PM

I had this same problem last year on my ‘98. First I thought it was the ECU, but after I spent $40 on a junkyard ECU and had the same problem. It turns out the keyed switch in the hatch that is activated by rotating and holding the key in the ‘up’ or ‘down’ position was bad. I disconnected the wires running to the keyed switch, and the problem went away.

To verify your problem, follow the following steps:
Roll the window back up, I had to disconnect the motor and run a leads from a second battery to the plug to get it back up, and disconnect the switch.
Reconnect the motor and if the window stays up, the switch is bad. If the window rolls down it is the ECU.

If you need an ECU, I just so happen to have an extra one lying around!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Flyfish-
The Engine Control Unit would cause this or is there another abreviated part I'm missing?

It hasn't done it since, of course it hasn't rained either!

I did take the tailgate apart and clean it up some. I will see if that helps.

Thanks to all -
Jerry
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaaydee
Flyfish-
The Engine Control Unit would cause this or is there another abreviated part I'm missing?
Sorry, Electronic Control Unit. There is one located in the rear hatch. If you pull the cover off, it will be on the driver's side. There have been several reports of these going out and causing the window to roll down. If it is happening when it rains, it sounds like that control unit.