Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rear passenger brake doesn't bleed fluid?? 97 4runner 3.4 v6

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear passenger brake doesn't bleed fluid?? 97 4runner 3.4 v6

i was bleeding the brakes today and the rear passenger side didn't come out with anything and if it did it was only a few drips? i had my brother pump the brakes and hold while i loosened the prop valve so that the brake fluid can come out, but yeah, nothing or only a little came out. any suggestion why? is it plugged somewhere? it has 215k miles on it and i think its been a while since the po has done it. but every other sides came out with the old fluid??
Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some times the bleeder screws either get clogged or froze up I would recommend getting new ones and be sure to utilize a rubber cap to prevent them getting clogged!! This should fix the issue and fairly cheap too!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Sorry forgot to mention this but when my brother had his foot down on the pedal I had tooken the valve all the way out too but no fluid
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ahtub
Sorry forgot to mention this but when my brother had his foot down on the pedal I had tooken the valve all the way out too but no fluid
did you happen to break the brake line loose as well to see if you got fluid to the cylinder?? could be a clog in the splitter or a crimped line to that side if the other side is fine...

look the line over and see if there any flat spots and have him pump the brakes then hold the pressure and break the line at the cylinder and see if fluid comes out and if not break the line at the splitter to that side and make sure the fluid comes out!! if you get fluid at the Cylinder then the Cylinder needs replaced and if you do not either the splitter or the line is the culprit!!! sounds like one of them will need replaced as the line may be clogged...

if you come to the thought that the line is clogged or the splitter is clogged, you can take the line off either at the Cylinder or the splitter depending on where you find the clog to be and use an air compressor to blow either from the soft line side or the hard line side.. you will need to disconnect the soft line and may crimp it off with with vicegrip needle nose pliers or the like...
this would be in lue of replacing these lines or the splitter..

once you get an open line you will have to flush it gravity is our friends in this situation!!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 AM

Thanks for the input guys. And I will check that out eddieleephd and keep ya updated
Old 03-25-2010, 12:08 PM

It's a long shot for a '97, but I don't know what equipment they came with - does it have TRAC? Or easier still, does it have NO vacuum boost attached to the back of the Master? (instead a pump and cylinder warning you of high pressure nitrogen?).

My '02 is like that, you need the key in the ON position to bleed the rear brakes, (engine can be Off) neat thing is you can just jam the pedal down with something and bleed and bleed and bleed, no need to pump the pedal - it just keeps coming. Front brakes are more conventional.