Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rear diff drive shaft and axle seal ??s

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear diff drive shaft and axle seal ??s

ok so i have 02 4runner at about 76k (details in sig) but anyways, the driveshaft has an inch ro so that it has moved, appears recent(shiny w some oil) normal flexing or problem??

next....the differential appears like it has recently had fluid on it (appers wet you know??) so is this bad?? what would need to be fixed??

axle seals....ya the picture i looked at...mine look haggard, so does like wet looking junk on them mean bad seals??

also after the cats and there is the place where the pipe bolts to where the muffler pipe starts, on the heat shield above there is black looks like spray what could my prob be???

idk what to do so any input would be good....and fast plz don't want to ruin somethin i could have fixed instead of driving and breaking
Old 10-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runnin2002
ok so i have 02 4runner at about 76k (details in sig) but anyways, the driveshaft has an inch ro so that it has moved, appears recent(shiny w some oil) normal flexing or problem??
Do you mean at the slip joint? If so, sliding in and out there is normal as the rear suspension flexes. That's what the slip joint is for. If that's not what you mean, post a pick or provide a better description of what you mean.

next....the differential appears like it has recently had fluid on it (appers wet you know??) so is this bad?? what would need to be fixed??
Where is the fluid? There are five places that fluid can leak out of the rear diff. Passenger side axle seal (leaks into brake drum), Driver side axle seal (leaks into brake drum), drain plug gasket, 3rd member gasket, pinion seal (leaks where pinion flange is connected to driveshaft). Diff fluid leaking out of the diff is not good if you let it go on too long without ensuring that your fluid level gets topped up periodically.

also after the cats and there is the place where the pipe bolts to where the muffler pipe starts, on the heat shield above there is black looks like spray what could my prob be???
I assume you are talking about the grease that gets slung off of the u-joint on the driveshaft when the driveshaft turns. If so, it's normal and it'll happen everytime you grease the driveshaft. Post a pic if you're unsure of whether that's it or not.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GSGALLANT got you covered. Take some pictures if you can. Upload them to Photobucket or another server, and then link them in your reply.