Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rear diff breather mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear diff breather mod

what is the deepest i can go without doing this mod?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

IMOA.....I think this mod is overrated. The breather on the rear axle does a fine job where its at. I have checked mine 3or4 times and found it to be in perfect working condition...I did blow a rear axle seal recently- i believe it was because i changed to synthetics ..there is also a prob with trapped gear oil in the extender tube..I live in the desert-maybe its a good mod for you.. and i say go as deep as you want-i have
Old 07-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Post Re: rear diff breather mod

Originally posted by CLin9383
what is the deepest i can go without doing this mod?
Up to the top of your current breather. Once you reach this point you run the risk of having water pulled into your diff/diffs. The same also applies for your t-case if you have one.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nobody
[B]IMOA.....I think this mod is overrated. The breather on the rear axle does a fine job where its at. I have checked mine 3or4 times and found it to be in perfect working condition...
I disagree. Submerge any breather, and you run the risk of water getting in the diff. That is the whole point of the extended breather mod.

Clin-

The stock rear breather reaches to just above the center of the rear wheels.

The stock front breather goes to about the top of the front wheels.

Plan your river crossings accordingly.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Chih,

Do the mod. It'll take you 2 hrs max, cost you less than $20 in materials, and you'll never have to ask that question again.

http://www.4runners.org/articles/typerdiff

Type R, baby. Type R!

Bob
Old 07-29-2003, 09:37 PM

Bob, I can't believe you screwed up that diff breather mod. Everyone knows a red-colored R is much faster than a plain old black R!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
(damn, busted again)
Old 07-30-2003, 07:02 AM

...I did blow a rear axle seal recently- i believe it was because i changed to synthetics ..
What makes you think switching to synthetic caused you to blow a seal?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:23 AM

[B]IMOA.....I think this mod is overrated. The breather on the rear axle does a fine job where its at. I have checked mine 3or4 times and found it to be in perfect working condition
I don't agree either. All the vents (diffs, T-case, trans) should be moved higher. The stock vent valve is not a water tight check valve. All are easy to do, the auto-trans is a bit of a pain, but these mods are cheap insurance against oil changes and possible water damage.

I heard of stock vented vehicles getting water into the oil, I've never heard that with raised vented vehicles.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Hermes
What makes you think switching to synthetic caused you to blow a seal?
I have the same question and agree with Bob and Christian. Its cheap insurance!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Type R, baby. Type R!
50 HP boost with the Type R breather mod! I am psyched! And I was just about to order a supercharger. God only knows what I'll get with the red R. I just ordered the parts and will do the mod this weekend. Thanks for the great write-up Bob!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Put those breathers on. I always did and drove (on regular base) submerged up to the dash/top of the seats (don't want to get my ass wet).
Never had any water in the gearbox or axles. But my friends did.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

IMOA.....I think this mod is overrated. The breather on the rear axle does a fine job where its at. I have checked mine 3or4 times and found it to be in perfect working condition...I did blow a rear axle seal recently- i believe it was because i changed to synthetics ..there is also a prob with trapped gear oil in the extender tube..I live in the desert-maybe its a good mod for you.. and i say go as deep as you want-i have
LUCK man pure LUCK. If anything is overrated its water. Take it from an expert at paying for new engines and axle parts. Just stay out of it. Its not worth it.

Last edited by PoBoy; 07-30-2003 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think it has anything to do with luck. Just proper setup (no leaky seals) and good maintenance.
And what do you do when the terrain you want to drive in , is on the other side of the 'river'? Turn around and go home? Hell no.
(I have to admit that I also destroyed some 5-6 engines, 1 gearbox and something like 11 R&P's, but all due to mechanical faillure and lack of skill )
Old 07-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with the majority, it's not going to hurt anything by doing the breather mod. You also have the peace of mind knowing that you aren't going to suck water into your diff if you go through a river.

Its cheap and easy.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4runner4ever
I don't think it has anything to do with luck. Just proper setup (no leaky seals) and good maintenance.
And what do you do when the terrain you want to drive in , is on the other side of the 'river'? Turn around and go home? Hell no.
(I have to admit that I also destroyed some 5-6 engines, 1 gearbox and something like 11 R&P's, but all due to mechanical faillure and lack of skill )
Id much rather turn around and find another way than spending 5 hours towing my broke ass truck out of the park and then $3k in repairs...even if it means turning around and going home. Sometimes you just have to realize that you cant do it. If you want to play on the other side, then go home and build your rig so that it can do it first. If you have stock truck and a 4 foot rock in your way, should you keep plowinging into it until you eventually break your radiator or something else? No, you go home and lift your vehicle so that it can clear the boulder or just find another way around. Its not worth the chance that you may get enough momentum and bang your skidplate hard enough to bully your way over. Nevertheless, playing with a $20k vehicle in water is just not smart IMOP. Too bad I came to that realization after my mishap.

And yes you take a chance when you play in water. You never really know how deep it is or if the ground will give out on you. So LUCK does come into play. If you dont want to call it luck, fine...its still a gamble.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

I remember reading elsewhere on the board that some people who have not done this mod and not experienced any problems were in constant motion and relatively quick.

I guess it's all about making sure you're not going too slow

Only thing I can think of...
EDIT - not that I'm an expert or anything
Old 07-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Poboy you're right about using your brain and sometimes decide that the only gain is major repairs.
But when you have a shortbed Hilux, 3.4 l TD diesel, two lockers, 4.88 gears. 33' mudders, two winches and a lot of other stuff only Rescue units carry, and only a few places to wheel in a country as flat as a dime (but with water everywhere) you get used to watercrossings. Or turning the old 4WD into a submarine.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Just found these old pics.

http://nl.msnusers.com/yotapics/pictures

Check "submerged". Thats me (red Hilux) probing the depth.
And me pulling some old crapper through.
That's how a lot of terrain looks over here.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4runner4ever
Poboy you're right about using your brain and sometimes decide that the only gain is major repairs.
But when you have a shortbed Hilux, 3.4 l TD diesel, two lockers, 4.88 gears. 33' mudders, two winches and a lot of other stuff only Rescue units carry, and only a few places to wheel in a country as flat as a dime (but with water everywhere) you get used to watercrossings. Or turning the old 4WD into a submarine.
Haha...yeah I should have looked at the sig. And as you can see from mine I want to do the same. If you are gonna beat it...get a beater.

Just seems as though there are so many peeps here with nice shiny new limited edition 4Runners. I cry when I see some of the stuff they do with them.

Quick Reply: rear diff breather mod