Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear diff breather done but have a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear diff breather done but have a few Q's

Well first off I extended the rear diff breather to the engine compartment today, and plan on doing the front within a week or so. my first question is in the 2nd gen. 4runners do the manual tranny and transfercase have breathers? If they do what parts are needed to extend them? My second question is where can I move the computer(ECU I think is what it's called please correct me if im wrong) to make it at a higher level so in the event if I do get water in the cab so it wont short out on me? Third is, if the second is not possible is it possible to waterproof the ECU?
Thanks

Last edited by 914runner; 03-19-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 AM

I had the same question. I'm all set on part #'s and instructions for thddiffs, but need info on the tranfer case and tranny breathers.

Can anyone enlighten us?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

You need to rip the caps off the tranny & x-case breathers and fit hose on them.. as for the ECU, take it out (after disconecting the batt.) and carefully unscrew the cover, now use clear RTV silicoln to seal the cover back on (PS, I installed a small 90 degree fitting in the cover and ran a fish hose tube up the A pillar as a breather for it) now seal any thing that looks like it may leak. Do it in a couple of days to make sure it is all sealled.. Now also seal the wires inside the back of the plug.. when it is all dry, add a coating of silicoln around the outside sides of the plug and plug it in.. maks sure that thing is sealed up good!! and there you go!

2nd tip... Wheel with the heater vent set to recirculating air...

You can also go around the engine compt and seal all the plugs like that also.. a little around the dist cap...
Old 03-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Firefyter-Emt i will be sure to to do that. i imagine that if you wheel without the heater on recirculating air it would probably pump water into the cab correct? wouldnt that be a sight though! well now its time to get back to waterproofing!
Thanks
Old 03-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You extended the rear breather all the way to the engine compartment? That's a lot of hose and more chance for it to get clogged up with diff oil. You want to keep the hose at a slant and don't let it get horizontal because the oil will pool and plug it up. Most people just route it up to the gas tank filler cap area.

Lee, why keep the air on recirculate? I've heard you can keep the vent on full blast and it will help slow the leak into the cab because of the positive air pressure. I mean that's assuming the water isn't covering the hood where the vent inlets are.

Steve
Old 03-20-2003, 10:13 AM

how will diff oil get into the breather? i can imagine the oil splashing aroud the diff and maybe a lil out of the breather... but how will it travel up into the hose? and if it does... that far up the hose?

if that,... with the stock breather caps... wouldnt the diff fluid try to get out of that too? its just a breather with a cap on it... and then get all clogged toO?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Roger Brown said, in one of his posts, that the oil mist will travel up the tube, condense, and be trapped in the low spots.

Steve
Old 03-20-2003, 01:38 PM

hm... oil turn to mist? dunno bout that. maybe, maybe not. then condense?... dunno about that either.

i asked my performance guy about it and he's never heard of that before. Diff oil would have to get REALLY hot to turn to mist if at all. then condense in the tube if at doing that.

stock chevy's came with extended front breathers that terminated in the engine bay.

but who knows. we'll have to see. i'll let you know if nething happens to mine. i have mine from the rear, along the frame, and ending in the engine bay.

ppl should be more worried about their stock breathers and not cleaning them! mine was caked with mud, and probably was suffocating.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

I mentioned the recirc to close the open air door that takes in air from the cowl... so that water may not get in that way.

PS.. I am going to be adding a fitting into my aircleaner with a fitting and run my breathers as high as the snorkle.

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 03-20-2003 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

firefyter- have you done the tranny/transfercase breather extension? if so could you please tell me the parts needed and about where they are located on the cases. also i have thought about if i get my custom bumper made and a roof rack that i would extend the tail pipe up to the roofline so my runner would be basically be a submarine is this a good idea or a bad one?
Thanks
Old 03-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if you're going for the underwater wheeling, you might as well do the periscope mod too. Torpedos would be cool too.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Well, if you're going for the underwater wheeling, you might as well do the periscope mod too. Torpedos would be cool too.
Hey Robinhood150, man you cracked me up I can't help myself but laughing out loud. ha ha ha

Noel
Old 03-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

ok well tonight after i changed the rear gear oil i looked for the tranny/transfercase breathers. i found one that was bettween the transfercase and tranny that is easy to get to. my question is how many tranny/transfercase breathers are there, i heard there are 3(2 for tranny, 1 for transfercase) is that correct? if so could someone please direct me twards them?
Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

ok well i took out the center console today and found all 3. the only problem is that they are pres fit into the tranny and transfercase :cry: . so what to do now? has anyone tapped these to 1/8 NPT or whatever tread size? if so how much work was involved? or shoild i just rip the caps off the breathers and attatch a hose that way? if i rip the caps off what size hose would i need?
Thanks

Last edited by 914runner; 03-21-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:40 AM

I saw the same thing when I replace my shifter bushing. I decided to leave it since I am planning to pull the tranny soon to do the clutch. I figured once it is out I'll have a lot more room to look at them and figure a solution. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Yep.. Just rip off the caps and attach hose...

Hmmm Torpedos
Depth charges for ricers??
Old 03-22-2003, 08:59 AM
ATC

I'm about to check mine out & was wondering if it is easier to get to them by pulling the center console like 914Runner did. Mine is set up w/ the rear air system in the console. Will that be in my way?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2003, 09:29 AM
ATC

Ok I found only 1 breather on the transfer case a few inches from the rear drive shaft. Its threaded so I am wondering if I should just remove it & put a union fitting in its place?

I have no clue where the other ones re on the tranny. I can even reach my hand on top of it to feel around. with mine being an automatic make any difference?

BTW I can't see how pulling the console would help.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:52 PM

The dipstick on an automatic serves as a breather.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:33 PM
ATC

Sweet so that means I only have 3 to extend. Front & rear differentials & the transfer case.

Quick Reply: Rear diff breather done but have a few Q's