Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Diff ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Diff ?

First off I tried to do some searching but nothing......so, what I have is a 98 3.4, 5spd 4runner and I have always thaught that the plastic dash plug where the diff lock is supposed to be looked out of place (faded and kinda splotchy) so I popped it out just for kicks and giggles and saw that there are two wire harneses in there not hooked to anything (one white and one black). My question is...might I have a diff lock and no button to engage it?
The only reason I ask is because the dealer I got it from seems like he's kinda a tool and I could see them just putting in a plasic plug instead of buying a new switch if it got ruined. Right after I baught it (during the day) I soon found out that my headlight switch didn't work very well because when it got detailed the morons just hosed it down with stuff to make the plastic shiney and it ruined the contacts. I also found that I have keyless entry but the dealer neglected to tell me that, I had to figure it out on my own (no fob when I got it) I also found that keyless entry was not installed from the factory on mine so the buyer must have had it added by the dealer when purchased new. So without rambleing on more.....How else can I find out if I have a Rear Diff Lock?

ps...sorry for the long post I'm just trying to give as much of my side as possible to figure this out!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota Runner
First off I tried to do some searching but nothing......so, what I have is a 98 3.4, 5spd 4runner and I have always thaught that the plastic dash plug where the diff lock is supposed to be looked out of place (faded and kinda splotchy) so I popped it out just for kicks and giggles and saw that there are two wire harneses in there not hooked to anything (one white and one black). My question is...might I have a diff lock and no button to engage it?
The only reason I ask is because the dealer I got it from seems like he's kinda a tool and I could see them just putting in a plasic plug instead of buying a new switch if it got ruined. Right after I baught it (during the day) I soon found out that my headlight switch didn't work very well because when it got detailed the morons just hosed it down with stuff to make the plastic shiney and it ruined the contacts. I also found that I have keyless entry but the dealer neglected to tell me that, I had to figure it out on my own (no fob when I got it) I also found that keyless entry was not installed from the factory on mine so the buyer must have had it added by the dealer when purchased new. So without rambleing on more.....How else can I find out if I have a Rear Diff Lock?

ps...sorry for the long post I'm just trying to give as much of my side as possible to figure this out!

Crawl under the truck and look at your differential. See if there is an electric motor hanging off the side of it.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You can see some 3rd members w/o e-lockers, on this page here. It's very easy to tell one from the other.http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/ But, I'll bet you'll find that you don't. I can't imagine them including that option with no way to use it.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-04-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM

I was thinking along the line that someone ruined the switch and just put in a plain black plug to cover the hole. I don't know? maybe just high hopes...but the two free wire harness got me wondering what else could the be...and they are right behind that plug where the rear diff lock goes?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
you said you have a 5sp right? Where is your clutch start cancel switch? If it doesn't have one, it is missing and plugs into one of those plugs.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Take the vin number to the dealership and have them pull everything you would want to know about your car.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
What the hay, I'll think positive thoughts for ya. You would be MIGHTY lucky if it is the case, you do know that. It's a highly sought after upgrade, not cheap either. I wish I had one for my truck, too. I'll probably have to buy one, though.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 PM

Mudhippy~ according to the site you provided I dont have the right differential to incorporate the diff lock I went and looked at mine Thanks for the help anyway...it was worth a shot...still wondering what those harnesses are for though (I do have a clutch start cancel button)
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota Runner
Mudhippy~ according to the site you provided I dont have the right differential to incorporate the diff lock I went and looked at mine Thanks for the help anyway...it was worth a shot...still wondering what those harnesses are for though (I do have a clutch start cancel button)
That wiring is probably for the e-locker switch. Toyota saved money by putting the same wiring harness put in all the 4Runners, e-locker or not. Compare what you have to the pics here.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:29 AM

Bighead~ yep thats what the harnesses look like (the ones on the site you referenced) I guess I'll have to save up for a arb after all. Thanks everyone for you help!