Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Bumper Design

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Bumper Design

I just did a search for "custom rear bumper" and saw in some posts that Cebby and Robinhood150 were working on designs for 2nd Gens. Thought I would check and see what has happened since then as I am in need of a rear bumper and figured I might as well get something solid and tough. I have also email Badlands Bumper to see about the cost a fabbing up something similar to this http://www.home.earthlink.net/~thefo...earbumper.html

Appreciate the feedback and will let you know when I hear back from Badlands. Thanks guys.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Robinhood's is done. Mine is still conceptual at this point. Although, mine will be very close to the bumper in your link. Mine will be a bit shorter in the back and upswept, not straight back. I noticed I'm getting some rust on my rear bumper, so I need to get to it. I've spending time currently on designing a full-length roof rack.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

That... is slick. Almost looks like part of an OEM toyota off-road package. The rounded edges make a big difference from the standard DIY, and no seams showing...
Old 02-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Well, Jeff from Badlands Bumper emailed me back to say that he has not done a rear bumper for a 2nd Gen. yet but that the material cost would be around $300 (if I am remembering correctly).

He also needs a 2nd Gen. in his area to take measurements, etc. off of in order to design the bumper. So who in his area (WA) wants to volunteer? Unfortunately, I'm a little too far away (KS).

Scott
Old 02-19-2003, 07:16 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I deal with Jeff at Badland Bumpers as he made my sliderz, and will be designing that same design for me that is on Mike H's maroon 2nd gen.

But it's going to be awhile until I get one fabbed up.
If he makes one for me later, I'm sure he will be able to do them on the fly if he can get accurate measurments for it.

But the only way he could take measurments now would be if he kept my rig overnight and pulled off my rear bumper and fender flares.
That won't happen anytime soon.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, I just got it finished this past weekend and still have to make it look purdy by painting it. I'll have pictures up sometime during the weekend.

Steve
Old 02-26-2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by 92runner
Well, Jeff from Badlands Bumper emailed me back to say that he has not done a rear bumper for a 2nd Gen. yet but that the material cost would be around $300 (if I am remembering correctly).

He also needs a 2nd Gen. in his area to take measurements, etc. off of in order to design the bumper. So who in his area (WA) wants to volunteer? Unfortunately, I'm a little too far away (KS).

Scott
Because I am a kind soul...(and have a lot of free time due to my recent contract-termination )...I'll give Jeff a call and see if he wants to take measurements off my second gen. (wife's actually ). I had been meaning to visit him and get some advice regarding tube bending, welding, etc.

Question is...are You still interested? (I've been going through old posts this evening...) If so, I'll go ahead and make that visit in the 4Runner. Otherwise I'll take my Tacoma.

Jim
Old 02-27-2003, 12:30 PM

Im also interested.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:41 PM

Jim,
I would definitely be interested .

Salue
Old 02-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Jim, have you been out to Jeff's shop before?
If not and you take the 2nd gen, I can show you how to get there.

Ah shoot, I just saw in your sig line that you have Jeff's sliderz.
My bad
Old 02-27-2003, 02:13 PM

Ok, I'll give him a call and see if he'll be around tomorrow.

Jim
Old 02-28-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jim. We appreciate your help. I drove around the Kansas City area to a few welding shops to get an estimate on the custom rear bumper and received quotes anywhere from $1900-$1200. That is too pricey for me so I'm going to have someone just make a solid truck mounted frame that my existing bumper can be welded onto. Hopefully this way I can get a bumper that is tough enough to take a hit or two.

Scott
Old 02-28-2003, 04:21 PM

So Jim,
what's the dilly yo? Were you able to stop by there and have him get measurements?

Salue
Old 02-28-2003, 04:59 PM

I didn't realize that you had a custom design in mind...I just thought you were hoping to get one of his current designs for the 2nd Gen.

Anyway, called him up and he says he would need the 'Runner for a couple days to measure, build, test-fit, tweak, etc. At this point, that's a no go for me.

Also, he's gearing up for a swap meet sometime soon, not too sure when that is exactly. So he said he couldn't begin to think about it until after that happens.

Sorry guys, looks like it won't be happening very soon. But if you keep showing him that your interested, we could probably work something out down the road.

Maybe once I pull together money and get a welder I could be the manufacturer...

Jim
Old 02-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

That link is to Mike Hershauers truck here in Phoenix.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:04 PM

I wonder if there's someone who's a welder in TTORA near these guys...and is looking to make a few bucks...

Hmm...

Jim
Old 02-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Jim, Jeff had told me also my rig would have to be at his shop for a few days to get measured up if I had a custom bumper made up like Mike H's.

Can't afford that much downtime since I only have one rig.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:16 PM

Corey,
I was at Jeff's the other day getting work done.
We need to talk man. You have been PMed MR.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you guys just want some protection from bashing into rocks you can build something like this for pretty cheap, even with the cost of a new hitch. Actually, I'm selling these in the for sale section.

Figure 1. Picture of rear sliders mounted to the hitch.

In Figure 2, below, you can see the braces that are angled up to support the sides of the sliders. These braces do not attach to anything but do ride on the frame as shown in Figure 3.

Figure 2. This picture was taken when new.

Figure 3. In this picture you can see where the braces touch the frame/hitch.

Figure 4. Here's a picture of the sliders on the truck. The red circle shows some scratches on the sliders.

Steve
Old 07-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Leo

Let's see some pics of your custom rear bumper on 2nd gens.

Here's mine!

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Design