Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Bucket Seats?

Has anyone ever replaced a 2nd gen 4runner's rear bench seat with bucket seats?

I was thinking about it, and I don't fold the back seat up that much. Mostly because the subs and amps get in the way in the back, and don't let me do that much more with folded seats.

I also don't carry more than one passenger very often, and don't really need 3 seats in the back. I was thinking if I pulled out the bench and put in two bucket seats, I could use the space in between for a center console; it could either be for storage, or I could fab up a housing for my amps right there.

Any ideas? Pics?

Last edited by Injohneer; 06-21-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be really sweet, I'd go with factory SR5 seats so that it looks classy and like a factory then put a factory Pickup centre consol (so you have dual compartments) between em.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I was figuring on doing it the cheap way - junkyard seats from an SR5.

But two issues: the back seats don't need to slide (leaning back would be a nice option though), and I might actually get more clearance for my center console if I used some leaner (narrower) seats. Either something else from the junkyard, or cheap racing seats...

Hmmm..racing seats. Nothin' like having a 5-point harness in the back seat, right?

Last edited by Injohneer; 06-22-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Funny, I am going to be doing this exact thing. I have a set of buckets from a 1990 Celica (leftover's from another project) that are going into the front of my 94' and was going to put the front SR5 seats in the back. I'll post up as soon as I get started. Or if any one has already done this please post details/pics.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:06 AM

Yeah really. I would do this in a heartbeat when I get some more loot.

I'm interested to see a result.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

I won't actually start on this for a while, but I figured I'd take measurements, anyway. It appears that on my '95, the front buckets would fit in the back, with minor modifications.
The shelf that the back seat is built on measured *just* long enough to fit the slide rails for the front seats, however where the floor bends up from the shelf to the bed is not a straight corner all the way across. The back mounting bracket on the seat rail may have to be adjusted (bent) to make the seat fit correctly.

It wouldn't be bad to have back seats that slid forward...you would be able to make your cargo space a little larger that way (zero leg room though). And with the front seats in the back, you'd also gain the space under the seats for a little storage.

I've seen a few posts that mention Celica (or other) bucket seats being swapped into Toy trucks & runners, like RLJ3RD mentioned. Are these seats a direct fit for mounting? Are they more comfortable (my runner's seats are the most comfortable I have ever felt!)?

Last edited by Injohneer; 06-22-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Injohneer
I've seen a few posts that mention Celica (or other) bucket seats being swapped into Toy trucks & runners, like RLJ3RD mentioned. Are these seats a direct fit for mounting? Are they more comfortable (my runner's seats are the most comfortable I have ever felt!)?
The Celica seats are NOT a direct replacement fit, unfortunately. They are however very close and will require a small bracket fabrication on three of the four corners. The Celica seats are awesome and the most comfortable I have ever sat in. I had them installed in a lowered GMC Sonoma for a while and they are extremely supportive laterally. Although they may be a bit cumbersome on vehicle entry and exit, especially if said vehicle is raised any. I did a trial fit in my 94' Runner, stock w/ 31's and it was slightly more difficult than the stock seats. But I feel the small annoyance could be forgotten after several days use.