Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ready for the install...

Old 02-13-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready for the install...

Hey guys...just received my URD fuel mods in the mail and will be having them installed next weekend. I know a mechanic who does some work for people on the side in his spare time during the weekends. He charged me $175 for installing the supercharger! He's not really in it for the money...he really enjoys this type of stuff. As much as I'd love to install them myself I really can't justify doing it when I can pay him so little to do it. I certainly don't have the tools or the knowledge to do it. I think I might go to his garage and watch him do it so I can still learn from the experience. While he's doing the fuel mods i'm gonna have him pull the valve body and torque converter and either send them to IPT or Level 10. I believe they both do valve body upgrades and torque converters. I've done some searching on the forum but just want to know which company would be the better choice. I know Gadget had a good experience with Level 10 but would like to hear all of your opinions. Level 10 is more expensive but is that for a reason (better work)? Also, is there anything in particular that I should tell the company when I send in my stuff. Is there anything I should tell my mechanic?

Thanks a lot guys,
David
Old 02-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First I wouldn't bother with pulling the torque conerter....just do the valve body upgrade.
Second, do the valve body at IPT......lots have been having very good luck with John, the owner.
He's a member here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/memb...fo&userid=4194

If you do the torque converter you need to pull the whole tranny!!!
Valve body just requires the tranny pan only.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-13-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:59 AM

Wow you are fast...Thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

I think you will be quite happy with the URD kit.
Gadget has put some good R&D into it.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:00 PM

Go with IPT on the valvebody. I just put mine in last night. It feels a 1000 times better then stock.

John
Old 02-13-2004, 12:07 PM

Hey Zubaltec -

I'm about an hour and a half southeast of you in Vero Beach. About how much did it cost to ship the valve body to IPT and which carrier did you use? Also, if I don't end up getting the torque converter modified as well I will spend the money on a set of headers, most likely the Edelbrocks. How much did these cost you and how much was it to have them wrapped and everything. Which company did this for you?

Thanks,
David
Old 02-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Hey ib,

I'd go with either the Edelbrock or the Downey headers, but make sure they are ceramic coated!
Here is the best place to buy the Downey ceramics cheap:
http://www.truckperformance.com/prod...UNNER&sf4=3.4L

The headers will really help that S/C of yours breathe.....good for about 15-20 ponies more!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 AM

Just use USPS for shipping to IPT. Give John a call for the best price. I got my headers from Summitracing.com. I welded the outside of the tubes so I could grind out the inside welds(ported). I also welded up the EGR port as my truck doesn't use it. I then sent them out to HPC for the coating. They came back and I also wrapped them with Thermo-tec wrap (Summitracing.com). The pricing is going to very for you as I work for Titan Motorsports and we do alot of business with HPC and Summit, and I we get a little break on pricing.

John

Last edited by Zubaltec; 02-14-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:23 AM

I work for Titan Motorsports and we do alot of business with HPC and Summit, and I we get a little break on pricing.
Good Lawd...Awesome job! I would love to play with some Supras all day long!

I think I may have saw your truck on their website.

-Matt
Old 02-14-2004, 06:57 PM

I would highly recommend John at IPT way before I spent the extra money for Level 10, not to mention you'll get a a better final product and way better customer service from IPT. There's no point in paying an extra couple hundred dollars for Level 10, especially when John has a new way that you can completely bring the VB back to stock parameters if you ever plan to sell your vehicle in the future. This is something that Level 10 can't do. There's a ton of ways to modify the Valve Body, and John knows them all, not to mention the new ways that he has come up with that caters specifically to those folks wanting a longer lasting, very durable, but not extremely firm, neck snapping shifts that will undoubtably become annoying. The beauty of my VB upgrade from John is that now that I don't have my Supercharger on anymore, I was able to adjust it back to just slightly firmer than stock, which is so nice.

In addition, if customer service is something that you appreciate, just compare the response time and details in each correspondance you have between the two companies, and you'll soon know which company you want to deal with. It's that simple!

Chris
Old 02-14-2004, 06:58 PM

If you still have questions, visit here and read through what others have had to say about John at IPT: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=24232

Chris
Old 02-15-2004, 04:11 AM

Wow, thanks for the kind words guys, again.

-John
Old 02-15-2004, 05:21 AM

Well at least that's settled...looks like i'll be going IPT. Hey John - I'm going to drop you an email with a couple questions on how to work everything out. I'll probably be able to send the valve body over to IPT around Saturday of next week. Actually it'll probably be the week after that considering the URD mods are going in next weekend and I'll just have to make sure they are running okay for a week or so . It looks like I'll have to tool around in my 1984 Range Rover for a while (fully camo'd, a set of seats on the roof) ...And to think that originally I was going to only put in a supercharger. This forum is indirectly draining my funds.

Last edited by ibsprocket; 02-15-2004 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ibsprocket
This forum is indirectly draining my funds.
Always happy to help!

......at least your money will be spent efficiently on mods that work.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-15-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Transdude
Wow, thanks for the kind words guys, again.

-John
No prob man.
....you take care of Yotatech people and we'll take care of you!
Old 02-15-2004, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another IPT Customer

I just wanted to chime in here and let you know that I went to John's shop for the upgrade and am very happy with the results. You won't be disappointed, just tell him you want it altered for longevity only and that will be firm enough, You do not want a neck snap shift, trust me. Oh yeah, remember to disconnect your battery cable after you reinstall the valve body. :pat:
Old 02-15-2004, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ibsprocket
Well at least that's settled...looks like i'll be going IPT. Hey John - I'm going to drop you an email with a couple questions on how to work everything out. I'll probably be able to send the valve body over to IPT around Saturday of next week. Actually it'll probably be the week after that considering the URD mods are going in next weekend and I'll just have to make sure they are running okay for a week or so . It looks like I'll have to tool around in my 1984 Range Rover for a while (fully camo'd, a set of seats on the roof) ...And to think that originally I was going to only put in a supercharger. This forum is indirectly draining my funds.
Someone posted a similar question on our forum, if I'm correctly understanding what you mean.

I replied with some shipping info. It's here if you would like to take a look- http://www.importperformancetrans.co...topic.php?t=49

By all means, email me with any questions that you may have.

-John
Old 02-15-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here I am at IPT ... it was a nasty day and my truck is covered in salt and grime.
Attached Thumbnails Ready for the install...-import-performance-transmissions-valve-body-upgrade-018a.jpg