Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ready to buy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to buy!

I finally sold my Volvo 850 this week and my search for a third gen is on. I have read a bit along here but I still have a few questions. I really don't see myself offroading much but if I can find a 4wd I will take it. All I can really afford around here is 96-97 2WD with ~90k miles.

Can anybody fill me in on the subtle coametic differences btw. the 96 and 97 models?

Also, does SR5 just signify the runner is a V6? What is standard on the model?

Are there any issues that are indiginous to these model years that I should look out for?

Any other advice on little annoyances that could be prevented with a bit of heads-up.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I have owned volvo's for the past 6 years and just want to be the informed buyer.

Oh, I am in Santa Barbara if anyone comes across a rig that looks like a winner.
Thanks in advance.

Stu.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re:

How did you like your 850? I am in the market for a new Volvo.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:15 PM

If you like Ford, buy a new Volvo.
A very good Volvo mechanic in Pasadena has started working on other makes now- nuff said.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:18 PM

Fun to smoke raced out 4 cyl's in a Volvo but it has been cleaning my wallet out, with no mod's to list if you know what I mean. I PM'ed you with more info on Volvo's in gen.
That would be my reason for being hyper-sensitive to any 4R issues.
-Stu.

edit: Firsttoy: my Volvo mechanic has lots of Volvo's in his shop.

Last edited by hungryStu; 10-07-2003 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:18 PM

im a volvo man. well i was. my mom is a volvo lover "Volvo for life."

my mom had a 1990 740 GL which was handed down to me. now she has an S90. I loved that car! it was so big and plush! i miss it. it saved me. i got into a car accident with a bridge support/pylon. THANKS TO GOD i came out with only a hurt pointer finger coz i slammed my hand into the dash and a minor sore back! volvos are tanks!

i always wanted to buy an 850 Turbo REAL bad. i always thought they looked sleek... i even wanted the station wagon!

the only problem is that parts or so darn expensive of course! Otherwise, i love volvos!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 PM

WAIT A SECOND!
I spent anough time on the Volvo boards discussing reliability (or lack of) and don't jack my thread () please. Just kidding. Not really. Seriousy though. Back to my original questions? Anyone?
-Stu.

ps--> Volvo's will save your life. You shopuld see some of the pics from accidents gere the people just walk away.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:35 PM

sorry for the thread hijack but jrallan officially did that! j/k
I like old Volvos too 850 wagons are nice. NEW Volvos... Ford ruined them. My opinion from a Volvo family and mechanic.

OK back to the original topic:
3rd GEN 4R
Can anybody fill me in on the subtle coametic differences btw. the 96 and 97 models?

Also, does SR5 just signify the runner is a V6? What is standard on the model?

Are there any issues that are indiginous to these model years that I should look out for?

Any other advice on little annoyances that could be prevented with a bit of heads-up.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re:

Sorry for the hijack everyone! I thought I was the only one who likes Volvos. Glad to see I am not alone!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Check out the history of the 3rd gen 4Runners:
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist3.html
Old 10-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey hungryStu, there is really not much difference at all even cosmetic on the 96-98 3rd gens (yes there are some but certainly nothing major or mechanical). I love my 96 and I would buy another again in a heartbeat. Look on eBay for the going market price (look at the Buy it Now prices) to see what they are going for. Then you can see the range people are asking for them. Really the only things you might have to do on one with 90K, assuming it came from a somewhat rust free area, is to maybe do the timing belt, brakes all around and an O2 sensor (along with the typical tuneup stuff).

BTW While we were talking about Volvos, I was looking at maybe getting one of those nice S80 T-6 ones.....anyone have any experiences with those at all that they can share?

Parts? Reliability? Driving experience?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:34 AM

Watch the Trade Express and Photo Ad. I got my 95 in Lompoc off an ad in Photo ad and the price was right. They're out there.

I'm in Santa Barbara too, so if you feel like a little 4 wheeling send me a pm.

J.D.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:47 AM

Re: Ready to buy!

***Can anybody fill me in on the subtle coametic differences btw. the 96 and 97 models?

No really exterior cosmetic differences, interior there is a difference in cup holders and center consoles. You'd want the 98 version, but there is a write-up by Bob how he retro-fitted a 98 cup holder into his earlier 3rd Gen.

***Also, does SR5 just signify the runner is a V6? What is standard on the model?

I'm not sure about that, but most 3rd Gens are V6's. Only 4-banger 3rd Gen I know of is Steve Schaeffers

***Are there any issues that are indiginous to these model years that I should look out for?

Rear coil and bumpstops recall, the coils start sagging. Head gasket recall. Hmm......those are the major ones I know of.

***Any other advice on little annoyances that could be prevented with a bit of heads-up.

What do you mean by this? I don't know about anybody else, but my hood always shakes and goes crazy at high speeds and looks like it's about to fly off, but it never does

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I have owned volvo's for the past 6 years and just want to be the informed buyer.

that's cool.

***Now my question for you:

What's your price range? How far do you plan to go for your truck?

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 10-08-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

3.4L Headgasket Recall

Watch for the headgasket recall. The 96's and some 97's are eligible for a headgasket replacement (external flaw, passenger side). I bought my 96 with 66K miles in Feb of '03, and sure enough it was eligible for the recall even though it was "fine."

So, I had the shop foreman at Toyota do the work, and while he was at he did the timing belt, drive belts, and clutch. I kinda wish I would have had them do a valve adjustment too, but I forgot.

When you find a 3rd gen you like, get the VIN and call it in to the dealer to see if it is eligable. I almost recommend buying a 3rd gen that needs the work done, because the labor on the timing belt is only $40 since they will basically have it off anyway.

BTW, they found a broken exhaust stud and a unclamped coolant feed line when they did the recall on mine. :pat:
Old 10-08-2003, 12:39 PM

You all first:
BTW While we were talking about Volvos, I was looking at maybe getting one of those nice S80 T-6 ones.....anyone have any experiences with those at all that they can share?
Parts? Reliability? Driving experience?

Stay away. Read the brickboard for a while and you will come to see that not only are they depreciating quickly, they break down at every stoplight. I'd say S60/XC70 (S60/V70R ) or nothing. XC90 gearbox has some weakness too.

Me:
What's your price range? How far do you plan to go for your truck?

I will have $11k so I am planning on something like $10k due to taxes. I am on the central coast of CA, have family (and visit them) in both Northern and Southern CA, so I am basically looking for my truck.

What do you mean by this?

Things like your hood. I guess I just want to hear some complaints.

So. . .
Head gasket recall (check VIN with dealer)
Rear coil and bumpstops recall (coils start sagging)

Thanks for all the advice!
I will be calling a few for sale down south today and I am sure I will need something else answered.

BTW, tow package? Avail on a 2WD?

-Stu.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

BTW: On a 3rd gen 2WD rear coil recall, it will just be the coils that get replaced, not the bumpstops. Both on the 4WD's.