Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Re-badging my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re-badging my truck

I'm about to do the black pearl mod on some of my badges (the Toyotas, Tacomas, and the front oval). After removing and painting the badges, how do I re-apply them? I remember seeing a good write-up on YT somehwere about this mod but I can't remember where, anyone?

Also, because the SR5 and V6 badges won't be going back on (at least in their factory locations), I was thinking about keeping them silver and putting the SR5 badges in the lower outside corners of my side mirrors and the V6 badge in the lower right hand corner of my rear view mirror. I've never seen anyone do this so it might be cool and it's gotta add at least 5HP. Think it'll look good?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Yep, That mod should ad atleast 5 HP and it should run better off road for sure!,Lol.
I may do mine one of these days but I want to go for the "flat black powder finish." Several companies make the textured powder look paint. Mike
Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

i used 3M double sided emblem tape. im not sure if it actually said 'emblem tape', but i know the description on the package said something about attaching pieces to a car body. i got it at autozone

heres the write up - http://www.4runners.org/articles/blackpearl/
Old 09-12-2005, 12:42 PM

If you want the flat black textured look, check out rustoleum textured rattle-can paint. It's rustoleum so it's gonna be tough and last a long time. I painted my rear bumper and rocker panels before I welded on my sliders with it and am very happy with how it turned out. Even with no front mud flaps, there are very few chips from rocks getting thrown up after driving on dirt roads all summer in Colorado.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM

are you putting the sr5 badge on the mirror itself? im not sure if your vehicles have the heated side mirrors or not, but maybe that would weaken the adhesive? not sure but just something to consider.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4taco
If you want the flat black textured look, check out rustoleum textured rattle-can paint. It's rustoleum so it's gonna be tough and last a long time. I painted my rear bumper and rocker panels before I welded on my sliders with it and am very happy with how it turned out. Even with no front mud flaps, there are very few chips from rocks getting thrown up after driving on dirt roads all summer in Colorado.
4x4Taco, Thanks for the heads up on that paint. Did you clear coat it or anything like that ? I get in allot of brush and briers around here off road so I need something that's fairly tuff. I can always touch up now and then If needed, Mike
Old 09-13-2005, 08:17 AM

I didn't clear coat the rustoleum and it's working great so far. I have [lightly] hit the rear bumper a couple times off road on some trees and rocks and the paint hasn't chipped or flaked at all, barely even scuffed it. And if you don't clear it, you would only have to sand the existing paint down a little bit and re-spray it.

When I painted the bumper and rocker panels this is what I did....sanded the parts (200 grit if i remember? either way, use a fine grit), used this prep stuff I found in my garage that cleans and leaves a tacky finish on the surface for the paint to adhere better, then hit it with a fairly light 1st coat. I only waited about 15 minutes before spraying the 2nd coat so that they would maybe bond together (and in a dry Colorado summer, it was pretty dry in 15 mins). Waited an hour and did a 3rd coat. For the bumper, it did a 4th coat about and hour and a half after the third coat. Worked great, even on the chrome bumper!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM

4x4 Taco, I lived in Golden for about 2 years back in the 70's and wish I had never left.
Checked my emblems on my 01 Tacoma last night and the TOYOTA on the tailgate are "rubber" letters,Lol. The SR5 is rubber letters also. The toyota-tocoma on the doors are metal or plastic. Don't know about the medallion on the grill yet.
Taking off the TACOMA letters on the gate would be a real pain and putting them back on would not be fum either. I may just leave them all alone or maybe take the time to mask the letters and paint them on the truck.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4taco
I'm about to do the black pearl mod on some of my badges (the Toyotas, Tacomas, and the front oval). After removing and painting the badges, how do I re-apply them? I remember seeing a good write-up on YT somehwere about this mod but I can't remember where, anyone?

Also, because the SR5 and V6 badges won't be going back on (at least in their factory locations), I was thinking about keeping them silver and putting the SR5 badges in the lower outside corners of my side mirrors and the V6 badge in the lower right hand corner of my rear view mirror. I've never seen anyone do this so it might be cool and it's gotta add at least 5HP. Think it'll look good?
lol.....black pearl mod? you mean taking some emblems off and replacing them with a different color? kind of a little ricer car club thing to do isn't it?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:43 AM

yup, thats what it means. good work figuring that one out man. although it's not replacing them with new ones, i wouldn't waste my money on that trash, it's painting the current ones for 8 bucks. I'm getting rid of all the chrome and bling on my truck cause I think it looks better that way. A lot of people would probably agree that it gives a pretty cool custom look for cheap. My truck's still new enough that I might as well make it look good for the time being before I get too much more body damage

BearTracker, I pulled off all the SR5 and the 1 V6 badge last night and I was also suprised that they were rubber. The rear Toyota and Tacoma badges now seem like a lot scarier project. I might take all the emblems off and only reapply one of the side metal emblems to the right-hand side of the tailgate which will make it a lot easier and I haven't seen it done. Also, Golden is nice, I'm thinking about maybe moving there when I finish school cause it's not Denver, not too far out, has a bar scene (unlike Evergreen) and still close enough to the ski hills. Either way, I sure miss Colorado when I'm out here in Virginia.

Last edited by 4x4taco; 09-14-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 AM

yep, all the Coors bear you want right down the street,Lol. I'm thinking maybe buy new emblems (the chrome ones) and then paint them and trash the ones that are on there now. It would be much easier than trying to remove the rubber ones without hurting them.
Also there is a product out there called "Plumbers Goop" that I'm sure would hold these letters much better than tape. I have used it on many things and it's really great Goop!, Mike
Old 09-15-2005, 05:54 AM

How much are new badges? They can't be too expensive...hopefully. Yeah, after pulling the SR5 and V6 badges off, I see how the rear ones might pose a problem especially lining them all back up. You get that plumber's goop at the hardware store? I'd imagine it's in some sort of squeeze tube? How permanent is it, could I remove the badges again sometime down the road? I think thats enough questions for now.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Bought ,my plumbers GOOP at Wal Mart and it just holds better than the reguler GOOP but can be removed . I would just put a thin coat on the letters (Emblems) with a small stiff paint brush. When dry it becomes like rubber .It looks to me like the emblems are to high for me. The ones for just the door "ToyotaTACOMA" are $19.98 a piece, discount! That's just for one.
Guess I'll just leave them for now or If I get in the mood some saturday and I'll tape off the back rubber letters and paint them on the truck. The others I'll remove. Mike