Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

RCA Jacks on Stock Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RCA Jacks on Stock Stereo?

Not wheelin related, but I'm debating building a box for the back of my 4runner to store gear in and am also debating putting some 10" subs in the same box (separate compartment) near the front. Anyway, my radio is the stock one w/ a 3 disc changer. I've been pricing out some cheap amps and subwoofers, but I need to know if the stock radio has RCA outputs before I buy the amp and speakers. I can find this out by removing the radio, but I'm hoping someone can spare me the hassle. I'm guessing there are no RCA outputs, and I will probalby end up just building a storage box (no subs) since I really don't want to buy a new stereo. But, thought I would check.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: RCA Jacks on Stock Stereo?

Originally posted by szf2
Not wheelin related, but I'm debating building a box for the back of my 4runner to store gear in and am also debating putting some 10" subs in the same box (separate compartment) near the front. Anyway, my radio is the stock one w/ a 3 disc changer. I've been pricing out some cheap amps and subwoofers, but I need to know if the stock radio has RCA outputs before I buy the amp and speakers. I can find this out by removing the radio, but I'm hoping someone can spare me the hassle. I'm guessing there are no RCA outputs, and I will probalby end up just building a storage box (no subs) since I really don't want to buy a new stereo. But, thought I would check.
You'll have to buy an adapter harness (RCA plugs) to do what you want for the stock radio.

Brian
Old 09-17-2003, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

No, if I recall correctly, none of the stock Toyota stereo's have RCA jacks in the back.

Get a line converter. You will tap into your speaker wires and it will convert it to a RCA jack. OR you can get an amp with "hi input" jacks, which would use the signal from the speaker wires.

I have an amp in my Celica and it has the stock System 10 stereo. I spliced into the rear speakers, and it works great. Its not going to be as crisp as an aftermarket stereo with 4V RCA jacks, but I am happy with it. Its just bass, so the signal doesn't have to be perfect.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:52 AM

Generally, the stock stereo is made in such a way that it cannot be used outside of that specific vehicle - so that it is unattractive to thieves. Having said that, it will not have the conventional stuff that you would find on an aftermarket stereo.(rca jacks, etc.)
Old 09-29-2003, 01:47 PM

yup what they said ^^^ but as for the box, heres what i did.....

some pics of when i made mine
Old 01-26-2004, 11:25 AM

Best way to connect line converter?

Trying to add a line converter myself, but the wires from the radio to the amp dont seem to work as my guess they are already low level.

So I found a bunch of wires running out of the amp on my 97 w/3cd in dash/cassette/etc, that are going to the right. They are all wraped up tight with a protective sleeve.

Is there an easier place to tap into the high output side of the amp than trying to cut into this bundle or going through the doors to the speakers themselves?

Crutchfield gave me a code and it seems like its the same color code as the wires going into the amp. So Im just looking for a good place to splice in.

Any help would be greatly welcomed!