Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rav4 brake bleeding

Old 12-25-2004, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rav4 brake bleeding

First off, although I just registered I have been browsing these forums for the past few months, and have found a lot of good information. Now I have a question for you guys.

I have a 2001 Rav4 (pause for laughter), and although it's not the coolest vehicle in the world, it's what I've got to work with while I'm in school. It recently hit 60K miles and it's time to throw on a new set of front brake pads. I already cleaned and adjusted the rear drums, and the front rotors look to be in good shape and are not warped. It's just a matter of changing the front pads and some associated hardware. However, the brake fluid has not been changed since it was new, so I figured I would do a full brake fluid flush at the same time.

I already have all the needed tools and parts, including new OEM Toyota pads and shims, and a few bottles of Castrol LMA brake fluid. I'll be doing this project with my older brother who has experience with brake jobs, however I have a couple questions, mostly about the bleeding process. I have the Toyota shop manuals but they are quite vague when it comes to brake work.

I don't have ABS, however I do believe I have a LSPV in the back. Also, my clutch runs off the brake master cylinder reservoir so I assume I will have to bleed the clutch also. I have been unable to find any concrete information on the bleeding sequence for the Rav4. so I have been left to figure it out myself.

I assume that I start with the brakes at all four wheels before I do the LSPV and clutch, but I'm not sure in which order. I was going to do passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front, LSPV, and then move on to bleeding the clutch. But I know that depending on how the brake systems are split, some cars go by a different sequence such as back wheel than an opposite front wheel or vice versa. I was considering just getting under the Rav4 and tracing the brake lines, and then bleed from longest to shortest.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:04 PM

bump

anybody?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 PM

try asking the guys on

www.rav4oz.com website

Paul
Old 12-27-2004, 04:47 PM

changing brake fluid at 60k or 600k blows my mind. Dont f-ck with it if it aint broke.preventive maintenance is fine but 60k is a waist of brake fluid and time and money.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:13 AM

I tried www.rav4oz.com but no one there seems to know that much about brakes. I was just thinking that I should flush the brake fluid because it has not been changed since the Rav was new 4 years ago.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:18 AM

I've heard two different opinions about changing brake fluid. Some people (such as my brother) say that I can go a long time without changing it as long as nothing is wrong, however other people say to change it every year or two.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nhyota
I've heard two different opinions about changing brake fluid. Some people (such as my brother) say that I can go a long time without changing it as long as nothing is wrong, however other people say to change it every year or two.
I say unless you have a power brake bleeder and some skill at doing it then it is best left alone. Brake fluid will absorb water over time and when the brakes get very hot you may feel a slightly softer pedal but the risks of getting air in the lines and damage the master cylinder while pumping are not worth it. If this is your first time just do the pads and scuff up the rotors with some 220 sandpaper (for faster breakin and removing any glazing) and be done with it.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:57 AM

I personally do not have a lot of experience with brakes, that's why I enlisted the help of my brother who has a lot of experience with them. He's bled/flushed the brake fluid in his autocross/track car many times and has one of those nifty Motive power bleeders. However if we flush my brakes it will be using the old fashioned pedal method, because he doesn't want to contaminte the power bleeder with my type of fluid.

I was just considering doing the flush because I figured since I was changing out the pads I could "kill two birds with one stone" so to speak.