Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rattle hunt (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 05:00 AM
Erc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle hunt (with pics)

I finally pulled the headliner this weekend. What a PITA! Along the way (starting from the back) I've found several things that I though could cause rattles.
There's the plastic sunroof drain hose that's routed through the body and is not attached to anything
Tube
I found a way to attach it to the metal by threading wire through one of the holes, wrapping wire around tube, treading wire back out through same hole and twisting it around a piece of hard foam.Tube fix

There's a plastic piece that clips right into metal and acts as guide for driver's seatbelt. It too rattles when moved by hand.
I taped some foam to it to prevent it from rattling.
Seatbelt fix

Finally, I lowered the headliner by the windshield and located the copper pipes by the sunroof. On driver's side, there's a place where 2 copper pipes can touch. I put a 1/2" felt pad on one of the pipes to muffle the noise. I didn't take any pictures, since there's already a write-up with pics on this, online. I didn't see a place where copper pipes can contact the relay (as in the write-up for a 96 Runner). Perhaps design was slightly modified.

I'm sad to say that non of this got rid of the front rattle. I am very glad though that I didn't let dealer do this for me. There are so many little things I bet they wouldn't have paid attention to, when removing and reinstalling the headliner.

My next step is to drive around with windshield cowling removed to see if that's where the rattle is coming from. I'll probably do that next weekend

Last edited by Erc; 02-11-2003 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:10 AM

I don't know if this applies to your noise, but I'll share it with you.

My girlfriend bought a brand new 2002 Camry. After she had an aftermarket sunroof installed, we started to notice a "clicking" when we hit bumps or drove up driveways. We immediately figured it was the sunroof. They spent the better part of a week (3 visits) trying to track down this noise. I sat in the back seat while she drove and tried listening. It sounded like it was coming from the rear WINDOW?

Anyway, long story short, it WAS the rear window and had nothing to do with the sunroof. Something about alignment pins or clips that were supposed to have been removed after assembly. The dealer replaced the window and everything has been silent since.

Mike
Old 02-10-2003, 04:04 PM

rattles? ewww those can be fun...
i run into a few of these a week at work.... check out the a-pillar trim pieces.. check out how tight the mirrors are mounted to the doors, what's in yer glovebox?? lol good luck
Old 02-10-2003, 04:06 PM

Erc I dont think your pics are working.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:28 AM
Erc

No idea why pictures will not expand in the thread. I changed them to links.
Thanks for the input, everyone. I paid attention to the rattling this morning.. it's definitely coming from right over driver's head area. :rolleyes:
I really don't feel like pulling the headliner down again without knowing exactly what it is that causes the rattle.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Pics won't show up inline here if you have () % & and certain other symbols in the link.

I found this out a few months back while trying to post some pics from off the web somewhere.

I would make the URLs without the symbols, and also no spaces in it.
The underscore symbol _ will work if you need to have a space in a pics name.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Erc

Originally posted by Corey
Pics won't show up inline here if you have () % & and certain other symbols in the link.

I found this out a few months back while trying to post some pics from off the web somewhere.

I would make the URLs without the symbols, and also no spaces in it.
The underscore symbol _ will work if you need to have a space in a pics name.
Thanks, Corey. I'd never put those characters in the names, but it wasn't up to me. Server automatically added those on.