Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ram Air experimentation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram Air experimentation

just wondering if anyone else out there has experimented with any ram air applications on our rigs... I experimented some with my last truck but never got very far into it due to lack of available parts for that vehicle... im thinking a ram air scoop that intakes behind the lower valance beneath the bumper... btw this is getting used on a 1995 SR5 3.0L ext cab...4x4... will post some pics of possible options already being used... Ram air seems to offer many benefits that your typical "cold air intake" cant offer...the ram function actually pressurizes the air b/c its entering the scoop so fast...my only questions are really with filtration b/c you do not use an open element filter at the opening like you do with the cold air intakes....
Old 05-29-2005, 01:43 AM
Contributing Member

The only 3rd Gen I can think of off the top of my head that has a mod similar to this is a 97 4Runner that is now owned by Gadget. There were custom scoops cut into the strip of metal under each of the headlights and that in turn fed into the custom cold air induction system.

*From Gadget's website.*

It's a different generation 4Runner than you are talking about but maybe it will give you a few ideas.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't realize that Gadget had those. Someone else that used to post on here had some made by Elford or Alford, one of the two. Anyway, seems like something that would be a great combo with the deckplate mod, but how do you keep it from sucking in a bunch of water when it's starts raining?

Matt
Old 05-30-2005, 07:07 AM

The cheap and extremely easy way is take the headlight assembly out and put the molding that was around the headlight before, back on. At least it gives a big improvement in performance; but for looks, you're on your own :p
Old 05-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...ram air under the headlight would be too small of a space too do any good wouldnt it?

maybe cut a nice hwole in the lower valance since u have a 95 runner.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:27 PM

I don't know what engine you guys are running, but even with ram air you'll still only have 14 squirrel power, if your that desperate for some hp, I would look into cams exhaust etc.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
I didn't realize that Gadget had those. Someone else that used to post on here had some made by Elford or Alford, one of the two. Anyway, seems like something that would be a great combo with the deckplate mod, but how do you keep it from sucking in a bunch of water when it's starts raining?

Matt
That was probably me. I have one set left of the air scoops. They are normally special order from Japan and take 8-10 weeks. You don't want to know the price. They are over $200 for the pir, and my cost isn't much lower. Elford is the Rolex, AMG of Japan
Old 05-31-2005, 12:02 AM

Location: Nor Cal. between sac and tahoo in the foothills. a little place called amador county
how do you keep the rain from getting in it? we did a similar mod on my friends subie but couldnt figure out how to keep the water out so we just hooked it onto the stock air intake box were his stock k&n was located.
any ideas on filtration/blocking water???
Old 05-31-2005, 08:20 AM

Not worth the trouble IMHO. You won't get much of a 'ram' effect until you are going very fast, probably over 100mph; even then it will be insignificant. Intake, exhaust, and gearing will give you more power.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by roger
Not worth the trouble IMHO. You won't get much of a 'ram' effect until you are going very fast, probably over 100mph; even then it will be insignificant. Intake, exhaust, and gearing will give you more power.
Roger,
I do not completly agree with what you have here. Depending on the route the air has to take the "ram air" effect could be felt at speeds of around 50mph or so. Yes the faster the greater the effect. There should also be a small increase felt across the power band as the air going in will be a touch cooler. I will grant you that exhaust and gearing will provide more signigicant power gains. When you say intake what do you have in mind there? RAM AIR is the fore front of the intake side.
Dragon
Old 06-01-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by dragon564
Roger,
I do not completly agree with what you have here. Depending on the route the air has to take the "ram air" effect could be felt at speeds of around 50mph or so. Yes the faster the greater the effect. There should also be a small increase felt across the power band as the air going in will be a touch cooler. I will grant you that exhaust and gearing will provide more signigicant power gains. When you say intake what do you have in mind there? RAM AIR is the fore front of the intake side.
Dragon
By intake I meant port matching the intake manifold with the cylinder head, and possibly adding a CAI. These are both more effective than trying to get a "ram air" effect IMHO.

I'm not denying that there is something to be gained from doing that, I just don't think it is enough to justify the effort involved. But hey, to each his own!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Ram air would be a CAI....It would be noticed whenver there is enough air pressure to start making the air move faster than the engine can suck...which isnt too fast but a diffrence wont be felt till a higher speed...its a worthwhile mod if you can manange to do it cheap...if this is going to end up costing a few hundred dollars its not worth it
Old 06-05-2005, 02:30 PM

Location: Nor Cal. between sac and tahoo in the foothills. a little place called amador county
so how did you keep the water out?
Old 06-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

With the pic from Gadgets site, there are drains in the hoses. I recall looking at them when I met up with him.
Pretty trick truck.

As far as ram air, a friend up the block from me has a taco and was messing around with a leaf blower . It just stalled the truck.

I wonder if there is a way to get a cheap, low power leaf blower to run and act like forced induction.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

The more bends involved and the longer the length, the less effective the ram air will be. I have all of one bend (90°) and ~15" overall length and it is quite effective. Trying to get this with a factory EFI setup is gonna be near impossible.