Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Radio light out-searched high and low...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio light out-searched high and low...

The light in my stock radio ( 97 4Runner) is burned out. It is the one that lights up the radio staion specifically. My stealership said they can't tell me which bulb it is or how to change it because there are "multiple mnfr's of these radio's ie panasonic, alpine etc. I am going to tear it down and see, but thought I would ask if any one else had this same issue. Thanks for all the great info. I have been lurking here and found much great info and have done lots of my own servicing lately.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the family...
Most radio dispalys these days are actually either LEDs or liquid crystal displays so there is no "light bulb" [at least for the LEDs], if there is a bulb it would be internal to the radio and not accessable to the user. This is one of those times it would be better to go to a professional. I'd start by looking up a few car audio specialty stores in your area [not a big box store like best buy etc] and ask them about servicing your unit if you do the removal and reinstall yourself you may save some money. On the other hand you may find it cheaper to have an upgraded after market unit installed.
just my 0.02
aviator
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks! I can still see the LED display...

Just no green back light. I here what you are saying about professional help and I have a good local private source. I just have been in the mode of doing it all myself when feasible....
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the green light went out in my wife's radio in her '00 4Runner a couple years ago, I asked our local toy dealer how I needed to go about having it serviced. They told me they would have to send the radio off to be repaired. Said it would be at least a couple hundered dollars just to send it off! A new oem HU was roughly $600 +. Crazy I know...

So I started searching the Yotatech "Classifieds" section and Ebay for a used oem HU just like the one she had. (My wife did not want an aftermarket HU, so that was not an option.) Luckily, I found a member on here that had removed his oem HU to install an aftermarket one. He sold me the oem HU for only $25 shipped . It's been working flawlessly for 2+ years now.

So unless you want to go aftermarket, sounds like you'll have to do what I did and search for a used oem HU. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres about 50 billion threads on this very subject right here in this very forum! I found all the answers I needed to fix mine right here
Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 AM

As I stated, I have searched...hard... Really

I must be missing the correct key words. Any advice??
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM

I had the same problem on my 97. I found a 97 OEM HU w/ 3 disc changer on Ebay for 27 bucks.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Update...tore into the radio

Pulled the radio out and disassembled it. If you remove the front black panel, it just has retention clips. There is a circuit board held by 6 very small screws. Remove the screws and the circuit board easily comes out. On the front side are multiple tiny lights attached to the board. I removed the one in the area of the display with a small slotted screw driver. I am going to an electrical supply store to see about getting a replacement. I will update again as I reach the next step. Hopefully It all goes well. I re-installed the radio for now and all is working as before, the LED station read out is still functional just not backlit, so removing the light does not effect things adversely.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM

FCBuff is right, pull the front face off of the HU and you'll see what I remember to be either green or grey round screw in plugs with some white glue holding them in. Carefully scrape the glue off and use a small flathead screwdriver to remove the bad bulb. I did it in my HU, works great now. I had a spare HU to use for parts though, might have another bulb or you can buy my spare and use all of the bulbs you want!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Terminator

Thanks, I just may take you up on that offer. I am going to check that store first just to see what they have...I haven't had a chance yet!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Good luck! If you find the bulb post it back up.

Originally Posted by FCBuff
Thanks, I just may take you up on that offer. I am going to check that store first just to see what they have...I haven't had a chance yet!