Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Quick question - DRL switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question switch wiring help

Rather than completely doing away with my DRL's, I decided to put them on a switch. I bought the switch from the Toy dealer and am wondering how to hook it up. If I was hooking it up to an actual device with both pos and neg wires it would make sense but I'm only of moderate electrical competence. So which prong am I to attatch the wire to?

Last edited by Toyota Punk; 07-10-2003 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I can't help you with that one, but that a great idea. Mandatory DRL's drove me crazy! I like being able to decide if they are on or not!

Although I don't think it matters because it's a closed or open connection on the same wire. Better wait for smarter back up first!

Last edited by 02Runner; 07-10-2003 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yes I feel the same way! I will leave them on for the most part I think, but it would be nice to have the option at times. I think you are right about the switch also. If nobody else wants to verify I'll just kick around and try it out.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Alright so I followed everything according to the writeup in the tech section. I tapped into the wire with one of those sqeeze type taps. I then tried hooking the other end up to both of the two tabs on the back of the switch and tried it out. Both times the DRLs stayed on regardless of switch position. Anybody have any ideas what I need to do here?
Old 07-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Dude, that sucks. I'm sure someone will come to the resue!
Old 07-10-2003, 01:30 PM

Im think I know the connector you used. In my baisc knowledge of wiring, and reading the Tech Write up, I would think you would need actually cut the wires and then connect the end of each wire to one of the prongs of the switch. I have not done the mod to mine, but that would be the way I would try it.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
You do need to cut the wire mentioned in the tech writeup and then connect the switch in line. You will have to extend the wires from the relay box to the dash area where the switch will mount. My experience is that after a while, I can't get the DRL's to activate no matter what positon the switch is in. I even tried reconnecting the wires directly and still no DRL's. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

What I did was tap into the wire in the pin 2 slot with another wire that I ran up the dash to the switch. I had no connector on that end of the wire, just tinned it and hooked it through the holes in the prongs. Tried both prongs/both positions and nothing. I thought maybe I would need a connector of sorts as pictured in the writeup to slide over the prong, but I'm not sure. I'm not going to waste the money and the time if it's not going to work, so I'm hoping maybe somebody could clue me in.

RW - are you saying that I need to run each end of the DRL wire that I cut to the two prongs of the switch? That would make sense since the switch would act to interrupt the curcuit... Correct?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

You are correct. The way you have it right now, the current is bypassing the switch since it can still flow through the wire. Cut the wire and it will redirect the current through the switch, allowing you to cut the circuit at will.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent. You say you did this though and it stopped working?
Old 07-11-2003, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, they won't come on anymore. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it, but it could be something with my truck as I've been under the dash several times and could have knocked something loose.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
You do need to cut the wire mentioned in the tech writeup and then connect the switch in line. You will have to extend the wires from the relay box to the dash area where the switch will mount. My experience is that after a while, I can't get the DRL's to activate no matter what positon the switch is in. I even tried reconnecting the wires directly and still no DRL's. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I did the same thing. I wired an inline switch to the wire that was cut and it works perfectly. Can have DRLs on/off whenever I want. Some suggestions for you to check...like you mentioned before, you may just have a loose terminal. Another thing you might check for is corrosion at either the switch/switch terminals, or at the junction of the extension wires (from the switch to the DRL module). Sometimes, if you don't make a good seal, moisture will corrode the wiring and increase the impedance. That may be why your switch isn't working. Then again, it might be your switch.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ben(Miami)
'02 Limited 4X2
Old 07-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

I know this probably won't work, but the Chevy's DRLs have a fuse. All you would have to do is pull the fuse and no more DRLs. I guess it's worth looking into.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Good suggestion for the moisture and connections, will look at them.

AG, when you pull the fuse for the DRL's, the whole headlamp system stops working b/c of how the system is wired together. I know this from experience.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
Good suggestion for the moisture and connections, will look at them.

AG, when you pull the fuse for the DRL's, the whole headlamp system stops working b/c of how the system is wired together. I know this from experience.
Oh ok, nevermind. I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
Yes, they won't come on anymore. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it, but it could be something with my truck as I've been under the dash several times and could have knocked something loose.
Sorry for bringing up this old thread again but I need help with the same issue above. I added a switch to my DRL's ('02 4Runner), followed the write up and cut wire to pin #2 after disconecting the battery. I added a switch, reattached the battery and tested the switch. Everything worked great like it was supposed to. When I went to mount the switch I did not disconnect the battery b/c I was in a hurry, I had to splice in some length of wire to put the switch where I wanted it. After everything was mounted and wired I tested again and no DRL's. I have done some trouble shooting - So far I have checked/replaced the fuse, its OK, I have re-wired back to the original OEM setup and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. No luck with any of the trouble shooting. Is there a relay somewhere in the DRL wiring I should check? I'm thinking I fried a relay somewhere. Any suggestions. RW did you ever solve your DRL issue?
Thanks in advance!