Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Questions for 4th Genners

Old 07-28-2003, 01:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions for 4th Genners

My dad is getting his first new car!
For the 27 years he's been living here in the U.S. from when he emigrated from S. Korea, he's worked himself almost to death (literally - brain aneurism and minor stroke in the last 3-4 years :cry: ).

He's always been generous and made sure that my mom and the 3 of us li'il ones have always been well cared for.

FINALLY, he's deciding to buy himself a new car and not take anyone's old one.
Guess what he's going to get? You'll only need one guess

Anyhow -
Reading what I've seen the last few months I only know about the funky sulfur smell and some of the trouble you fellas have had with the automatic features. Anybody have anything else they want to point out?
He's doing his homework and checking out all the specs on the SR5 but getting 1st hand experience from you guys will be the best!

Yeah, I know I could do a search but I think he's planning on buying pretty soon. I'd like to get all the info in one place instead of thread jumping! My old man has always wanted to get an SUV so I want to be able to share all the cool stuff and problematic issues so he knows what to expect. He has always put his family first so I'd like to help him. Yeah, my dad's my hero

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 07-28-2003 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:40 AM

Taco-dude,

While you will hear niggling complaints about the 4th Gens, I don't think any of us regret purchasing them. Personally, I've had the rattling sunroof and still have the sulfur-smelling exhaust. The sunroof was fixed under warranty and the exhaust really doesn't bother me (I kinda think of it like a diesel, when someone creeps up my bumper, I floor it and let them smell my exhaust !).

All-in-all, I love my 4th Gen.

Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Taco: my wife pulled into the garage last night in her '03 Subaru Forester, guess what I smelled....sulphur! I would not let the 'sulphur' smell of the new '03 limit your enthusiasm. All cars have this smell, I have only smelled it twice in my vehicle, so this is a 'problem' all vehicles have.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:05 AM

The only reason the sulpher smell is noticable is because you can drive around in the 4Runner with the rear window down. I've never noticed it without that window being open. Tis the only reason that I think other car drivers don't complain about similar odors. I have yet to try changing brands of gas as suggested by others on this forum.

No others SUVs in the price range I'd drive and only 2 other new ones of any price that I'd get (Land Cruiser & Land Rover). Only complaint is that they no longer offer the locking rear diff so I'll have to get one at some point. If your dad isn't going to be doing serious off-roading, that isn't an issue.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:33 AM

Although some people have had minor problems (well, Mish has had a bit more) but even the worst problem 4Runner owners still say they would buy a 4Runner again- or even trade in the bad one for another if it came to that.

So I think you should just buy the 4Runner you want and not worry about problems. I bet 95% of all 4Runners are just perfect.

I have a 03 and have not experienced any of the problems mentioned. Actually the truck has been perfect so far. Not even a rattle or squeak, even off roading. I think the majority of 4Runner owners are the same.

I suspect Toyota is making changes to fix any early problems every week on the assembly line so an early 03 isn't the same as a late 03. That is just my thought.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Congratulations to your dad. Its cool that you are looking out for him. I only hop emy daughter will be nice enough to do the same for me.

Anyway, I love my runner and would not drive anything other than that (Toyota). Keep us informed. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

TD,

I can only add that I haven't had a single problem with mine (QC may be different here for the JDM models ).

Seriously, the only problem I see is getting your father used to people staring at him and his truck (and you wanting to borrow it )
Old 07-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Woodbert

Seriously, the only problem I see is getting your father used to people staring at him and his truck (and you wanting to borrow it )
Actually, I was thinking about that. I'm afraid of driving it because I don't want to end up liking it more than my truck!

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys!
I know my dad will love the runner, like I said, he's been wanting an SUV for a pretty long time.

So while it looks like the sulfur thing isn't that much of a problem, what's the one thing you REALLY love about your new rig and one thing you'd change if you could?

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Like: V8 power and torque, fulltime 4x4
Change: More stock suspension height
Old 07-28-2003, 11:43 AM

I love mine and have no real complaints.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:10 PM

Thumbs up Sweet Spot for 2003 model year

I think that the 4Runners hitting dealerships right now are the best bet since the 2003 model was introduced. Toyota does tweak 'em as they go. Meaning that you will not get one built in June 2003 that has the tailgate or sunroof rattle.

Also 4Runners built after April 2003 include an upgraded tow hitch and few other minor tweaks.

My advice would be to look at the door tag on the specific truck you are thinking of buying. If it has a build date of 6/30 or later you are most likely getting one with all the latest improvements.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:24 AM

We just bought our 03 SR5 last weekend. It has almost 300 iles on it and no problems. It was built in 6/03 and has the painted cladding. So far Ive very happy with it, oh yea and it doesn't have the sun roof.

But be sure to get a v8, it's well worth the money, the power and sound are great.

Only reqal issue we've had is that the carpet can get dirty easy, but We'll probably get some floor mats (we have the factory ones but want them to stay clean) to cover that nicely

There are many nie features that they hgave your dad will be pleased
Old 07-29-2003, 07:34 AM

Thumbs up

Congrats to you and your dad on the new Runner!

The light color interior is easily messed up. Look into some Husky floor liners front and rear. I bought a full set and they cover every inch of floor space and "lip up" at the corners so dirt and debris stay contained.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.

I'll post pics when my dad brings it home
Old 07-31-2003, 07:56 AM

My new 4runner is my first and I must say I'm more than pleased, despite the "ticking" noise. The only change I would like to see is for Toyota to back off trying to make the vehicle "idiot" proof. There should be a way to disable the traction and stability controls, other manufacturers can so I know its technically possible. Hope to have this truck for many, many years.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

WOOHOO!

I don't have the pics now but I definitely will post when I get home.
My dad and I headed out to the dealer last Friday night and picked up his new ride

Titanium/Stone Clot
Sport Edition V8

X-REAS Suspension
17" Alloy wheels
5 Speed ECT-i Automatic Transmission
Power vented front and rear disc brakes
Hood scoop (drool)
silver painted roof rack
Black Running Boards
Tow Hitch w/ Ball Mount Kit
Fog Lamps
Leather wrap tilt/telescopic steering wheel
w/ audio & cruise control
Keyless Entry w/ Engine Immobilizer

MSRP $30, 424

With the great deal he got PLUS the extended warranty his final price came to around $26K

I have to tell you guys, it was SO cool to go home that night and listen to him tell my mom about the rig and the deal he got over dinner. Equally cool that he let me borrow the keys and left the car at home when he went to work the next day. Very nice!

He came home Saturday and spent a good amount of time going in and out of the house with the manual in hand and learning all the new features of HIS new 4Runner!

There are some minor issues to work out - a tire pressure warning guage that won't go away and the fact that his auto-off headlights don't seem to auto-off. But, of course, that's what the warranty's for, right?

I wasn't too big a fan of the 4th gens but I sure as heck am now!
The engine and the alarm sound exactly like the Lexus SUV, strange and yet not.

Funnier still, is the fact that my dad is asking me all these questions about HIS new rig - I guess because I've been mentioning all the new things I learn about it from here.

Thanks for the help guys!
More questions to come later

Pics should be up by the end of the day!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:15 PM

Re: WOOHOO!

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude

I wasn't too big a fan of the 4th gens but I sure as heck am now!

Pics should be up by the end of the day!
Yeah, they kinda grow on you real quick in the flesh don't they!

Look forward to the pics and tell your dad congrats!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
While you will hear niggling complaints about the 4th Gens
OMG! Did you say 'niggling'??!!? Call the PC patrol!

Hey Peter,

Happy day! Now your dad can pull you out of the sand! DOH!

Bob
Old 12-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
OMG! Did you say 'niggling'??!!? Call the PC patrol!

Hey Peter,

Happy day! Now your dad can pull you out of the sand! DOH!

Bob
My dad,
"I don't need 4 wheel drive - you'll steal my new car from me, too!"

So, no - he won't be pulling me out of the sand
Old 12-01-2003, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I don't buy another 4Runner I would get a GX470

Only things that would be nice in the 4Runner would be memory seats and auto up and down on all the windows but I have a Limited 40g's and several thousand miles before I realize I was missing those 2 options and HID's would have been nice.

I also hope someone finds a disconnect for the VSC cause it's such a disappointment to not be able to break the rear end loose on pavement, it's like an invisible driver is standing on the brake as I come around the corner just to give you an idea in my Pathfinder I could get it sideways

Anyways congrats on the V8 Sport, that was my 2nd choice cause of the scoop

Soon as that 4Runner is broken in take it on the highway and you will be amazed at the power and speed and how agile it feels.

Excellent price, was that internet or fleet sales cause the Sports are at least 35k here, probably just the added price of living in NY/Jersey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions for 4th Genners