Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Question on undercoating from the factory on Toyota trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on undercoating from the factory on Toyota trucks

I've been looking at buying a Tacoma double cab as I really need a truck to haul stuff I can't put in my Runner. While in South Carolina over the weekend, I stopped at two Toyota dealers to look at the double cabs. I have checked on the Toyota dealer sites that show options/prices/availability etc. There is an option called Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40 for $619. It includes a bunch of BS and whats called undercoating/sound shield. Thinking all Toyota trucks came with undercoating (all four I have owned had it), I checked this option at the lots. Unfourtunately both lots only had 3 or 4 D-cabs and none had the undercoating option. But if what I saw is standard, I'm definetly getting this option. The trucks I looked at had what looked like gloss grey flooring with white caulk at all seams. I've never seen "bare" metal like this before on bottom of a truck that goes offroad. My Runner, my wifes, and both trucks I owned had what looked like Rhino riner on the entire bottom/wheel wells.

I live on a gravel road and just had to re-undercoat the rocker panels from rocks flyng up. The area under the front doors next to the frame had chips down to the grey metal. If I didn't have the undercoating in the first place, that grey paint would chip away very quickly causing rust.

So is the XY40 option I mentioned above this thick undercoating? How many of you have this option. None of the D-cabs I looked at had this option, but none were 4WD either. Maybe this option is more common on 4WD Tacomas.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:35 AM

WOW!!! I wish I could get one of those. Maybe when it gets old, you can sale it to me. The stealership can put it on for you. Maybe you can get a Rhino coating. I don't know much about all of this because I live in GA. Someone up north could help you more.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:14 AM

Joe, If I get a DC I'm keeping it forever. You can buy my Runner though. Nice Tacoma BTW.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

I definitely do not have anything resembling a Rhino-lining on the underside of my truck...

For that much $$ though, I think I'd actually go to Rhino and see how much they'd charge... we all know how reliable the Rhino stuff is, lifetime warrantee too
Old 06-16-2004, 08:35 AM

Hey Chris, my truck came from NY. Thats why in has a undercoating. You can buy that stuff in a can and do it you self.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:07 AM

Undercoating from SE Toyota

Originally Posted by Highland Runner
I've been looking at buying a Tacoma double cab as I really need a truck to haul stuff I can't put in my Runner. While in South Carolina over the weekend, I stopped at two Toyota dealers to look at the double cabs. I have checked on the Toyota dealer sites that show options/prices/availability etc. There is an option called Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40 for $619. It includes a bunch of BS and whats called undercoating/sound shield. Thinking all Toyota trucks came with undercoating (all four I have owned had it), I checked this option at the lots. Unfourtunately both lots only had 3 or 4 D-cabs and none had the undercoating option. But if what I saw is standard, I'm definetly getting this option. The trucks I looked at had what looked like gloss grey flooring with white caulk at all seams. I've never seen "bare" metal like this before on bottom of a truck that goes offroad. My Runner, my wifes, and both trucks I owned had what looked like Rhino riner on the entire bottom/wheel wells.

I live on a gravel road and just had to re-undercoat the rocker panels from rocks flyng up. The area under the front doors next to the frame had chips down to the grey metal. If I didn't have the undercoating in the first place, that grey paint would chip away very quickly causing rust.

So is the XY40 option I mentioned above this thick undercoating? How many of you have this option. None of the D-cabs I looked at had this option, but none were 4WD either. Maybe this option is more common on 4WD Tacomas.

Highlander,
The undercoating to which you refer originates at Southeast Toyota Distributor. Southeast Toyota in some way gets its hands on every Toyota sold in the southeastern US. SE Toyota has been adding this type of useless "protection" to Toyotas for at least 25 years. In the early days, SE Toyota would perforate body panels to spray in the substance. The edges of the perforation would later corrode. In addition, sometimes the sprayed in agent would clog drain holes also causing corrosion. In my own experience, SE Toyota has sprayed the substance onto plastic fender liners in which later the material delaminated falling to the ground or even worse, into moving parts of the suspension system. All in all, the practice is worse than harmless, it is shameful. So much for my opinion.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Highland Runner
There is an option called Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40 for $619. It includes a bunch of BS and whats called undercoating/sound shield.
Since I am feeling like such a nice guy today, I have already gone ahead and added this "protection" to everyone here at Yotatech! No need to thank me, it's already done!

Seriously - I have heard from multiple reliable sources that this "stealer added accessory" is a pure profit stream and they don't really do anything to the cars. They do etch the window for all that money which you can do yourself for $5. Also many consumer sites have recomended that buyers refuse to pay for this option.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 AM

Yea, that window etching is another thing in that package. Its something else that every Toyota I've seen seems to have. Thought both were "standard", and was kind of surprised when I looked under a new truck to see a plain grey metal, and white caulk. And what about the paint protection in that package. Do they mean a wax job.
Rather do both myself so its done right, and saves money.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

For what it's worth, I don't have just metal and white caulking - they at least painted that...