Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question(s) about MAF upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question(s) about MAF upgrade

Well, basically, what is involved to upgrade a 3rd-gen (3.4L) 4Runner to the Supra MAF?

I assume specifically I need one from the twin-turbo, ya? I have heard of course it is less restrictive and that it's a direct bolt-in replacement in terms of plumbing and mounting, and even the connectors are identical. I've also heard that the signals are completely different and require an external computer to modify those for the ECU.

Now I plan to get the computer at some point (still shopping around, comparing features, etc - I definitely want one I can remap myself) but if I can find a MAF cheap somewhere can I just pop it in and enjoy the less restrictive airflow right away, or will my ECU freak?

I did a search on this but didn't find any specific threads, so I figured I'd start one. I'm in the throws of heavy intake mods currently and this was on my mind.

BTW, did the Deckplate mod last night. Very simple, $13 total including a tube of Permatex Blue sensor-safe silicone and a pack of #8 screws... Quicker throttle response, definitely a bit more power, though at Denver altitude there isn't much air to go around no matter how you shake it. Can't wait for my road trip to New Orleans in July, right about the halfway point I'll reset the ECU and let 'er rip! I plan to have my own version of the ISR mod done by then, and maybe something else cool I am designing to *really* add the HP.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:14 PM

Well,

A lot of people laughed at my custom intake, but I don't really care. I have the Supra MAF on mine, and it won't run without a piggy-back computer. Well, I take that back! It will idle, but that's it! It runs way too lean, so you've got to adjust the MAF sensor voltage to bring it back to the correct voltage or stock voltage. The plumbing isn't the same diameter, so yo'll see what I came up with. I have since wrapped it with Thermo-Flex and Thermo-Tec Air Intake Tube Wrap so no heat will reach the intake air. It fit perfectly, and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants function and performance over stock look. Here's the URL where the pictures are: http://www.works-cited.com/intakesystem.html

Take a look and tell me what you think. By the way, between the FTC1-E and the SMT-6 I just received the SMT-6 in the mail, and it's way more programmable. You can advance and retard timing. If you want more information just go to New Performance Mod or do a search for it, and there is a ton of information on it.

Chris
Old 02-17-2003, 03:18 PM

Based on your sig it doesn't look like you have a supercharger, if you don't I don't think you will see any improvements over stock.

If you want to improve the intake cut the part of the throttle body gasket that protrudes into the intake.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:21 PM

I was thinking about that Milan. Why did they do it that way from the factory. I thought it was wrong when I installed it the other day. How stupid? Have you done that on yours?

Chris
Old 02-17-2003, 03:27 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the place I found my MKIV Supra MAF was at www.supraforums.com You can easily find one around $50 shipped. Lots of guys have them that they have no use for.

Chris
Old 02-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FattyCBR
Based on your sig it doesn't look like you have a supercharger, if you don't I don't think you will see any improvements over stock.

If you want to improve the intake cut the part of the throttle body gasket that protrudes into the intake.
Comment about TB gasket noted.

Pretend for a sec that I was blowing hot air .. err, blowing air into the intake. And that I had a need or desire to gain whatever performance I could from a more open MAF... What do I need to do?
Old 02-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

ravencr thanks for the info. I like the creativity you put into it, I'm not necessarily going for the lots-of-pvc-pieces thing but it definitely gave me some other ideas for this.

I'll probably do the computer at the same time, they're not that expensive really (though it will push back the timeframe in which I could realistically do this because of fund shortages)...

So, the MAF plumbing is differently sized huh? Is it just the connector that is the same, for plugging into the vehicle's harness?

If the differences are downstream of the flow I don't care since I'm going to replace all of that anyway when I do my own version of the ISR (and maybe some other additional "options" ), but does it at least fit onto the airbox side of things, and perhaps bolt into the same holes? With an amsoil filter and deckplate mod I'd think the stock airbox would be just fine, though I also think maybe removing the elbow would net more power since that wouldn't destroy the resonance of the box quite so much. But, I digress...
Old 02-17-2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by denverbikeguy
Comment about TB gasket noted.

Pretend for a sec that I was blowing hot air .. err, blowing air into the intake. And that I had a need or desire to gain whatever performance I could from a more open MAF... What do I need to do?
You could use something like an Apexi S-AFC to tune your air and fuel flow or you could use a SplitSecond FTC, or there's a thread about a new product called the SMT-6 that's unproven right now but supposedly does what the FTC does.

Take a look at the post New performance mod/part. You can also search on 4x4wire BB for S-AFC and FTC for more info. If you want more specific info you need to be more specific about what you're hoping to accomplish.

Good luck in your project.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by denverbikeguy
ravencr thanks for the info. I like the creativity you put into it, I'm not necessarily going for the lots-of-pvc-pieces thing but it definitely gave me some other ideas for this.
Well, I can understand. Like I said: Function, not looks is what I was looking for. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I'll probably do the computer at the same time, they're not that expensive really (though it will push back the timeframe in which I could realistically do this because of fund shortages)...
I can totally understand that, and I would recommend that, because if you don't you won't be able to drive it at all. They have to be done together.

So, the MAF plumbing is differently sized huh? Is it just the connector that is the same, for plugging into the vehicle's harness?
The bolts don't line up. The harness plugs right in perfectly. The MAF will slide into the air box, but you have to use silicone instead of the rubber gasket that comes with the MAF. It's a lot tighter fit, so the rubber gasket won't fit. Then the output end of the MAF is much larger too, so the stock tubing won't fit over it. You have to customize all the way back to the throttle body.

If the differences are downstream of the flow I don't care since I'm going to replace all of that anyway when I do my own version of the ISR (and maybe some other additional "options" ), but does it at least fit onto the airbox side of things, and perhaps bolt into the same holes? With an amsoil filter and deckplate mod I'd think the stock airbox would be just fine, though I also think maybe removing the elbow would net more power since that wouldn't destroy the resonance of the box quite so much. But, I digress...
Answered above. I've done the full elbow removal and 6" deckplate mod, and obviously the ISR removal. It's a lot louder than even the FIPK I had previously.

Chris
Old 02-17-2003, 03:55 PM

Hey Milan,

I got the SMT-6 in the mail today. I'm planning on installing it on Wed. You busy? Just kidding, but your more than welcome! I can't wait to get this thing running again.

Chris
Old 02-17-2003, 04:06 PM

Cool, make sure you post how the install goes, I'm pretty busy for the next week and half. Did you pay the old price or the new price for the SMT?
Old 02-17-2003, 05:32 PM

I had to pay the $335.00

Chris