Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question for current v8 03 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for current v8 03 owners

Just curious ... of the people that currently own the v8 03 model, how many miles have you put on the truck and how has it been holding up?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The 03 V8 in the Runners are the same iForce engine in the Tundra/Seqouia which has been in production since 2000 I believe..

The engines thus far are outstanding, I know of couple people who own Tundra's/Sequaoia (70,000 Plus miles) and they have had zero problems with them.. Torque is good, top end is nice also.

Hope this helps..

Chris
Old 01-27-2003, 12:02 PM

I've got almost 4K on it now. Running just fine, but I'm still waiting for the S/C. I called TRD the a few weeks ago and they said the projected availability was March.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

TLuuV:

It's wonderful!!!
2800 miles strong so far. (almost time for a oil change!)

The only change in the v8 is the new 5 speed tranny. the engine itself is the same as stated by kctopher (but it's from 98 not 2000).

The new tranny is wonderful. Much better than the 4 speed tranny found on the tundra. The new tranny makes for better shifting (much better than the 4 speed - a well deserved upgrade).

hope this helps, there are a few of us here so they'll prob all chime in!
Old 01-27-2003, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

I have no doubt the engine would be great. It showed in the test drive i took the other day. The main part that concerns me at this time is the new tranny. The main reason I'm concerned is because I currently have a Acura CL-S, and I haven't experienced it yet, but there have been a number of TL/CL, as well as Honda Accord and Odessey, owners that have had the transmission fail (some while driving at highway speeds).
Old 01-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

I did hear about the tl's but not about the accord. I have a 2000 accord v6 as well and that one has had no problems at all just like the 4ruuner

Hope it's just a fluke in the accords atleast (don't want that to break down on me !)

I wouldn't stress too much on the new 5 speed tranny, the 4runner and the lc has em for 2003 I would think that if it's going to be in the LC, it will be a solid product!!!

hope ya get a 4runner soon, gl
Old 01-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

I just put 5k on mine with no problems. It is still shifts as smooth as the day I bought it.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:00 PM

I hope everything works out, as far as the reliability of the 4Runner goes. But right now, after visiting the Volvo dealer (XC90), I've been having some problems deciding, so I've been doing a lot of research. I know they are two totally different vehicles, and it showed in the test drives for both. Both have certain advantages over the other, which is what makes it difficult. I have to decide whether I want a true truck or a type of crossover. And of course, the Toyota reliability or Volvo luxury.

As for the Honda Accord transmission issue. Hopefully the mods don't get offended that I put a honda link on the site. But it may help to inform people about the Honda issue.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Another thing to think about is safety and there aren't too many vehicles out there that compare to Volvo when it comes to safety. Of course price can be an issue too. I had thought about the same 2. Cost was one part, and styling was the other. The Volvo looks good but the 4Runner looks better in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the honda link. I guess since I never got my recall notice I'm okay

As for the xc90... wow i had a chance to drive both models (both engines) and dang it's NICE!!! the inside is just impressive. (small gripe on the side mirrors tho... if it closes, dang it make it open too!!)

the twin turbo does make the volvo quick (impressed me and i have the v8 too). but at the end my v8 is all power and no turbo! hehe

I don't have leather in my 4runner but if I were to have leather, I'd take the xc90 leather seats, they're very very SOFT!!!

hope ya get what ya want! (4runner!!! hint hint)

gl
Old 01-27-2003, 02:19 PM

No problem for the link.

For me, for either the Volvo or Toyota, I'd want the thing optioned out til no tomorrow. hahaha With that said, I think the difference between the two was not too much. The sweetest part of the Volvo is definetily the front seats. Just amazingly comfortable. And the interior styling is great. But, I do love the raw power of the V8. Choices choices.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:58 PM

I looked today and have put just over 2300mi on my '03 in 34 days... Ouch !
Still love the truck....
Old 01-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by Good Times
TLuuV:

The only change in the v8 is the new 5 speed tranny. the engine itself is the same as stated by kctopher (but it's from 98 not 2000).

What, am I losing it? 98 was the introducting of the iFroce? I thought it was in the Tundras which was 00, right???? Unless it was used in the LC first?
Old 01-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The V-8 debuted in September '97 production of the '98 MY FJ100. Except it wasn't called i-Force then. It first became the i-Force when it was re-tuned for regular fuel in the Tundra and then the Sequoia. The 'Runner V-8 is tuned the same as the FJ engine, but is called i-Force now. Maybe the FJ motor is too.

I"ve only 900 miles on mine, but have to give the 5A/T high marks in every category. The first three gears are shorter than the 4A/T, giving massive low end grunt. This thing really hustles up to speed. Fourth gear is direct and fifth is a tall O/D. The new shifter is a blast to use. I shift it like a Tiptronic all the time, and find the grip is placed just right and the shift detents well-spaced to encourage it. All of my driving so far is in the Cascade foothills, tight and twisty using 2-3-4 gears, and the tranny responds quickly and positively to manual control. The AI is learning my style, too. If I leave it in D it'll downshift under braking before entering a turn for improved engine braking and acceleration out. Very cool. It also has a standard oil/air cooler mounted forward of the engine radiator.

I know it isn't a tranny function, but it also pops in and out of 4L and/or Locked quickly, smoothly and quietly. None of the throttle goosing or other tricks sometimes needed in Tundra/Sequoia or other Multi-Mode driveline trucks.

Oh a tip for the 4th Geners here: I've been chasing tire pressures up and down and think 40ff/rr improves control, steering feel, and crosswind resistance in the Dunlops. Much better than the factory 32ff/rr and well below the max allowed pressure. YMMV...
Old 01-28-2003, 07:31 AM

Hello all. I just purchased my first 4Runner 1/5/03 and have been reviewing the board and decided to join up. Lots of great information.

I just put 1000 miles on my 03 SR5 V8 4x4. Been running great, I love it, even the cladding that nobody seems to like.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

DoublePump:

I'd like to be the first to welcome ya to this board! I too an still abit of a noob since I just recently go my 03 too

If ya have any questions, feel free to ask away. Just remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question!
Old 01-28-2003, 07:53 AM

Hey all, I'm a newbie here as well, I don't currently own a Toyota but hopefully by March I will be the proud owner of a 2003 4Runner. Something I'm curious about with the V8, does it use a timing belt or a chain? Also, is it an interference design?
Thanks!
-Scott
Old 01-28-2003, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the welcome Good Times. Might have some questions later on that breather mod when/if I decide to do it.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Silent Man:

Welcome aboard... hope ya get that 03! The v8 uses a timing belt and there's abit of a debate on whether it is an interface or non interface design. As for me I dunno....

DoublePump:

The rear diff mod is a real good mod. If you plan to encounter water then this mod is a def must. even if you don't plan to encounter it, it's a mod that should be done. Plus this mod is reversible too!!!

toyota has breathers for the front and center that goes up to the engine bay area (which means if water goes to the axles, the breathers are well above that area so water will not go into the axles.) they apparently forgot the rear breather on the axle on all the models (dunno why) so this mod is a recommended mod by everyone.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...r/breather.htm
That link will definitely help you thru the installation. My installation was pretty much based on that too. same parts, same location.

here's another link for a basic write up of my 4runner (same year so this might help you too... looks exactly the same as any previous 4runner)
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...=&threadid=123

hope this helps, if you need help there are lots of members here and on other boards that are toyota owners that can help you on this mod.

gl
Old 01-29-2003, 08:46 AM

Unhappy Rearend Thump

Hi, New to the thread, but, so far have 2800 miles on 2003 4Runnger SR5 and have no problems except one. When I come to a stop or start from a stop there is a light thump from the rear. It is like a backlash in the transmission system or maybe brake related. Anyone else notice this? Or am I being picky.

Harris

Quick Reply: Question for current v8 03 owners