Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question about removing steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about removing steering rack

I'm trying to remove my steering rack to replace the bushings. The two write ups i am referring two are as follows:

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...eeringBush.htm
and
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ering_bushing/

Im getting confused when it comes to removing the rack and removing the bushings from the rack (AFTER the hardware has been removed).

1) Are you supposed to remove the bushings from the rack while the everything is still seated on the mounting bolts? or are you supposed work the rack off of the mounting hardware and THEN remove the bushings (from the rack)?

2) For the drivers side 22mm mounting bolt, are you supposed to be able to remove that bolt from the crossmember (from the side facing the forward of the vehicle)? My bolt comes in contact with my transmission where the tranny droops down and forms a loop (sorry i dont know the technical name for it) and i cant get it out... im afraid to pound and force it out.. not sure if its supposed to come out lol.

I have the hardware completely removed and have had someone wiggling the steering wheel (truck is in the air) but to no avail. The rack is very close to comming off of the mounting hardware, but after a good hour of wiggling and screwing around with the rack with no success, i started to wonder if i was doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you install a diff drop when you did your lift? .....if so that needs to be removed temporarily.
Also make sure to remove the sway bar to gain easy access to the bolts on the other side.

If you aren't talking about either of these, can you post a pic for us so we can see what you mean?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have removed my ract twice. Mine is a manual transmission. I didn't have anything in the way.

I replaced my bushings (Daystar Poly) with the rack still connected to the outer ball joints/wheels. I created a bushing puller with a long bolt and a short piece of pipe (slightly longer than the bushing and big enough that the bushing could be pulled into the pipe with the bolt) I also kept the PS fluid lines connected.

Are you replacing with Poly bushings? Daystar sells them. They firmed up the rack/steering feel.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerdo
I replaced my bushings (Daystar Poly) with the rack still connected to the outer ball joints/wheels. I created a bushing puller with a long bolt and a short piece of pipe (slightly longer than the bushing and big enough that the bushing could be pulled into the pipe with the bolt) I also kept the PS fluid lines connected.
That puller you made is a great way to remove the bushings.
...I used an air hammer w/hammer head and they all popped right out with a little WD40 to help them slide out.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that isnt exactly what i was talking about but i think you answered it in indirectly lol. I wil get some photos later today.. I haven't removed my diff drop bolts and spacers yet... maybe thats why the rack wont slide off of the mounting hardware...ill try to get some pictures.. thanks!