Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PVC on the 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PVC on the 3.0

I want to change out my PCV but I don't see it. I have a 95 3.0. Can someone tell me where it is located?
Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 05:04 PM

Its located on the passenger side valve cover near the back . hard to see and even harder to replace . If you want I'll help you replace it
Old 03-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Buy a super long pair of curved jaw needel nose pliers.. They are your best friend for working on these 3.0's
Old 03-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Hey!

Follow the hose with the green arrow under the plenum. It goes to the PCV. I changed it when I had to do the knock sensor. You have to remove the plenum. (not that bad if you know what you are doing).

Here's the pic:

Sorry about the bad artwork.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 02-20-2005, 12:43 AM

picture request: 3.0L PCV valve

haney's manual doesn't tell you much, anybody have a picture of the PCV valve on a 3.0L?
thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

its the only metal round shiny thing on the passenger side valve cover lol
Old 02-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plenum doesn't have to be removed to change out the PCV. Just get the proper pair of needle nose and work it out. A long (stork neck) needle nose with a 45, 30, or 15 degree bend works just fine. Use the valve cover as a pivot point and lever it out of there. Spray some lube on the base before and let it sit a minute helps. Put a little grease on the base of the new one before putting it in for ease of installation. It's a piece of cake. Did mine in 5 mins.

-Wrench
Old 02-21-2005, 12:39 AM

Listen to the WRENCH!

donc, don't make it harder than it is. Follow Wrench's advice and you'll have it done real quick. Here are some pics of mine:

45 degree 11" bent nose pliers:

Passanger side valve cover with the pcv valve:

and a closer shot of the same:

Just take your time and be patient. I found that after I got mine out, installing the new pcv valve and gromet went incredibly quick. I inserted the gromet first then worked the new valve back in using the bent nose pliers for placement and then just my hand and thumb to press it down. Any questions please post or PM I'l be glad to help.

Been there before

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-21-2005, 06:57 PM

94 runner

does my 94 runners 3.0 have a pcv. can't find it any where
not in any catalogs at parts stores.

woody
Old 02-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Yes your 94 has one, its in the same spot as the ones listed above passanger side its buried in a bunch of vacuum lines. When I got my 94 runner that was one of the first things I wanted to replace along with plugs and wires and air filter. But once I saw where it was..... Lets say I still have not changed it and its been a year since I had it. Your typical parts store should have it. If they cannot figure out which one it is then go get yourself a new parts store first off. I have never seen the long pliers Idea but know I think I might have to give that a try.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 PM

Replace it

I say if you gonna sit there and hassle with the PCV, take the plenum off and change the valve cover gaskets while your at it. I have done more than a few of these now and I can tell you it takes me less time(about an 1 1/2 hours start to finish)to take my plenum off and replace the valve cover gaskets and clean out all the crap under there. Than it does trying to see under there and fish around with long pliers, playing with the PCV trying to get it to even pop loose. Also if the O-ring cracks even a little bit, which it usualy does, you'll have to pull the plenum anyway and another also, everytime I have pulled the plenums I have found at least one or more problems under every plenum.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 PM

you do not have to remove the plenum. Trust me- i have big hands and thought about going the same route..... Get yourself a new grommet, a pair of 11-12" offset pliers, wd-40, and a lot of patience. I even went as far as removing my hood versus the plenum only to realize that yes, i was looking in the wrong place too. Once on the passenger side looking over the quarter panel into the engine, (like one post had said) it will be a small hose mixed among many in the 6 o'clock / 12 o'clock position about 6-8" long. spray the base of the hose with wd-40 and let it set a few minutes. pull the hose with the pliers and expose the valve. i wrapped some fine sandpaper around the tips of the pliers to eliminate slippage from the wd-40 and wiggled it side to side and up and down for a few minutes....re-sprayed.....wiggled again. Came out with no problem. Might want to consider the pvc mod someone had on the forum ------- adding more length on the hose to eliminate future migrane's Let us know how it goes........
Old 02-22-2005, 08:02 PM

Rbmc- got pics on the 1.5 hour plenum removal?? If it isnt that bad, i would like to do that on another nice day......... juss curious what im looking at...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:11 AM

Sorry no pics

Sorry, I don't have any pics but a few little hints if you are doing this for the first time. Remove the gas cap to relieve pressure, spray WD40 on the nut on the EGR down tube ahead of time to help loosen it, put a towel or some kinda cloth on the passenger side fender,(for when you turn the plenum over, don't wanna scratch the paint) mark all the hoses, so you can put them back in the right place. DON'T remove the throttle body that saves alot of time and the gasket. Also, remember to get the intake plenum gasket when you buy the valve cover gaskets as you have to replace it too and when reinstalling the valve cover gaskets I put some gasket sealer at the corners of valve cover where the half moon shape is before putting the gasket on, it helps prevent future oil leaks. Oh and don't forget the beer.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rbmc
DON'T remove the throttle body that saves alot of time and the gasket.
NOW he tells me.

Originally Posted by rbmc
Oh and don't forget the beer.
NEVER!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Change out the PCV and grommet every couple of years or so, as it's good preventative maintenance. It's much easier to replace when the grommet isn't baked on hard, and yes, the long nosed pliers are a God send. For under $10 it saves you a lot of aggravation and time if you have to remove your plenum to get at the PCV.

Troy
Old 02-20-2006, 02:59 PM

this pvc valve is hard.. havnt tried wd40 yet..will do right now.. i broke hose,, so now i have to get 1 from the dealer,.. on my other post need help not sure of the title under 89-95 suv topic the pictures i posted all that black dirt mudd is inside my hose..
Old 02-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Be careful that you don't snap off the PVC grommet and have half of it fall under the valve cover, otherwise you may have retrieve it and that's a time consuming job, because you'll need to remove the plenum before you can undo the passenger's side valve cover.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 02-20-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:58 PM

the other half havnt fell in .. i know what u mean.. the brim did break off .. still havnt got the pvc valve off yet.. so the other half is still hanging on.. is there pictures on the step to remove the valve cover.. limited space just seem like if you remove the manifold would be easy to work with.. what is the plenum...
Old 02-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nIgHTmaRE4RuNNeR
the other half havnt fell in .. i know what u mean.. the brim did break off .. still havnt got the pvc valve off yet.. so the other half is still hanging on.. is there pictures on the step to remove the valve cover.. limited space just seem like if you remove the manifold would be easy to work with.. what is the plenum...

Here you go. I did mine last year and put together a little write up. The plenum is just another name for the air chamber that sits above the intake.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...e+cover+gasket

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 02-20-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: PVC on the 3.0