Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pulling down the headliner??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Pulling down the headliner??

Hey guys,

Anybody know of a write-up for pulling down the headliner on a 3rd Gen? I've fabbed up a roof rack, mounted some lights, and been driving it around for a while to see if I like it, and well....it's time to wire them up! I'm planning on running them through a plastic plug in the stock roof rack rail, and into the cabin, but will need to pull the headliner down.....does anybody know how??

Your help would be appreciated guys!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Just did this. You have to remove most of the interior to do it right. Rear panels, the trim pieces along the edges of the head liner. I didn't remove the very front edge pieces because I couldn't get the grab handles off (need an impact driver). Still doable, though.

The headliner is VERY flimsy; you'll need another person to help remove it so you don't crack the backing anywhere.

I drilled out the holes for the roof rack end trim pieces front and rear on the driver's side for these connectors:

http://www.suresealconnections.com/

Got a pair for free a few years back. The flanged 4 pin is perfect for leak proof power to the roof lights.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM

I just did this last week as well to Dynamat my roof. It's relatively easy to do, just a PITA to pull ALL the interior panels that touch the liner.

Of note, I got the A-Pillar panels off although I didn't need to because the liner will slide out toward the rear like Midget did. The reason the A-Pillar handles won't come out with a screwdriver is they have a crap load of lock-tite on the threads and you're almost guaranteed to strip the heads with a regular screwdriver. I had to use a die grinder (great excuse to collect a new tool) to grind the head off of one of the screws to get the darn thing off. I have no idea why the A-Pillar bars were installed like that while none of the other handles are.

The dome and cargo lights come out easily by prying off the lenses to reveal the screws. The rear view mirror/map light pod can be removed by prying off the entire cover from its metal base to reveal the lights and screws.

There are 5 snap grommets that hold up the rear portion of the head liner...4 that are visible and one that is under the cargo light panel in the back. Not sure if there's a way to save these things. I used a panel puller tool to pry them off and every one broke in the process. I anticipated this and purchased 5 new ones from the local dealer before embarking on this little project. I think they're a one-time use deal, unlike the side panel and door panel pins that you can use over and over again.

At the final step of pulling it out, you may have to gently pull the edges off the ceiling directly above the doors. It has a felt liner down the sides that is probably stuck to the roof after being under compression for so long. Mine didn't appear glued, but it didn't want to let go of the roof immediately either.

I also had a friend help get mine out. With just two hands, you run the risk of bending the thing and having to look at a crease in the ceiling for the rest of your life.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To add to the above I did a DVD install in my 4runner and I have a sunroof. You need to pull the edging from around the inside of the suroof too. I started a thread for the install but never was able to totally finish it, overcome by events but if you wish to see the basic stuff to get to the part where you remove the mirror, visors and roof tacks you are welcome to check out my thread on my DVD install.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...n3-mod-177131/
Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 AM

Smile

Thanks gentleman for all of the info! I didn't think it was that involved!! I should have known, these trucks aren't meant to be taken apart! I'm going to do this mod in the next few weeks, and will definately have to do it over the course of a couple of days, just to make sure I take my time!

Thanks again, and I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's one more for you: http://www.4runners.org/writeups/sound/headliner.html
Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 AM

In regards to the 4 massive plastic snaps that hold the liner up in the back, if you don't care about the color, Lowe's sells black snaps that work just fine for much less than the dealer. As mentioned, they are impossible to save.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Midget96
In regards to the 4 massive plastic snaps that hold the liner up in the back, if you don't care about the color, Lowe's sells black snaps that work just fine for much less than the dealer. As mentioned, they are impossible to save.
Well I won't say "impossible to save", when I did my DVD install which required me to COMPLETELY remove the head liner as I need to install a second sunroof support so i would have a place to secure the DVD player, I was able to reuse all 4 of mine. I was just a bit more gentle and persuasive. If you try and take your time you CAN get them out, but it is a real PITA! Just study how they are installed and work them out. they are a push in and the internal part of the plug springs outward so if you can get in there with some sort of skinny needle nose like hemostats, you should be able to rescue them. Good luck
Old 03-21-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide

Thanks for the info Rock, I've been wanting to do this mod for a while now, but since she's my daily driver, I've gotta wait til I have a few days, where I can just leave her parked!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:03 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Good luck
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Midget96
Good to know, I have a Lowes in my Town!