Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Proper way to check trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper way to check trans fluid?

What is the proper way to get the correct reading on trans fluid?
I have heard a few different ways and they all seem to be a little different.
All are with truck running
1. In park with just idle till warm/hot
2. In park driven till warm/hot
3. In neutral idle till warm/hot
4. In neutral driven till warm/hot

Or one choice I may have left out.

Please clarify this for me.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 AM
Banned

With parking brake set, start the engine, then move the shift lever through all the gears, ending back in park (Make sure it is level) then check. NOTE: You will get a Incorrect reading if you check after you drive the vehicle at hight speeds for an extended period, in hot weather in city traffic, or if it has been pulling a trailer.
In other words check the fluid at normal operating temps.
Just starting the engine and letting it run without driving will not worm up the Trany Fluid. I take mine out for a 5 or 10 mile drive before I check it.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:13 PM

Yep, you're right. Looks like I have always done it wrong. Here it goes straight from my Haynes manual:
If the vehicle has not been driven, park the vehicle on level ground, set the parking brake, then start the engine and bring it to operating temperature. While the engine is idling, depress the brake pedal and move the selector lever throught all the gear ranges, beginning and ending in Park. With the engine still idling, remove the dipstick from its tube. Wipe the fluid from the dipstick with a clean rag and reinsert it back into the filler tube until the cap seats.

"Caution- If the vehicle has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic in hot weather, or if it has been pulling a trailer, an accurate fluid level reading cannot be obtained. Allow the fluid to cool down for about 30 minutes."
Old 01-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks. So I don't actually have to drive, or do I, just to get the engine up to operating temp. One says to drive cause it won't heat up just idling and one says you can do it w/o moving the truck if you are already on level ground.

.In other words check the fluid at normal operating temps.
Just starting the engine and letting it run without driving will not worm up the Trany Fluid. I take mine out for a 5 or 10 mile drive before I check it.

If the vehicle has not been driven, park the vehicle on level ground, set the parking brake, then start the engine and bring it to operating temperature. While the engine is idling, depress the brake pedal and move the selector lever throught all the gear ranges, beginning and ending in Park. With the engine still idling, remove the dipstick from its tube. Wipe the fluid from the dipstick with a clean rag and reinsert it back into the filler tube until the cap seats.

"Caution- If the vehicle has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic in hot weather, or if it has been pulling a trailer, an accurate fluid level reading cannot be obtained. Allow the fluid to cool down for about 30 minutes."

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 01-16-2005 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:44 PM

When they say 'operating temp' they are refering to the transmission, not the engine. The engine will reach its operating temp way before the transmission if it is just standing in place. The transmission generates very little heat unless it is working. Therefore, the earlier recommendation to drive for 5-10 miles is a good one. Your dip stick might have two sets of marks, one for cold level and one for hot level. If you have to check it cold, use the cold marks. If the level is good at cold, you will be pretty close to the hot marks when up to operating temp. In either case, make sure vehicle is on level ground, run it through all gear shift positions, and back to park, and check it at an idle. I like to use a white cloth to wipe the stick, this gives you a better look at the oil color.