Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Programming Keyless Remote

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming Keyless Remote

Below are some dirction for reprogramming the remote of a 00' Limited with factory keyless and no alarm. I searched this site and found only directions for vehicles equipped with a fatcory alarm. So here they are: Below are factory alarm instructions also.

open drivers side door
stick the key in the ignition then pull it out
lock and unlock the door 5 times
shut and then open the door
lock and unlock the door 5 times
stick the key in the ignition and turn to on then off then on then off
pull the key out of the ignition
you should hear the door locks go clunk clunk
press the two top buttons on the remote for 1 second
then press the unlock button by itself for 1 second then repeat the pressing process for the second remote

Hopefully this helps, I did not make these I copied them from some other Toyota site. It did not work the first time, but the second time I folowed the directions exactly and they work fine...

I decided to add the directions for factory alarms reprogramming so the directions for both would be in one place.

This is very simple to do. First you must locate the brain for the alarm. On my moms 98 it is under the drivers seat. If you look on the side you will see a tiny green button. Use and ink pen to push it in and watch the indicator LED on the console. When it turns on (or starts to flash, can't remember which) after 3-5 seconds, simply press the top button on all remotes he wants to control that vehicle. That is it. He must press the buttons on the remotes fairly quickly though, and the key must be in the ON position for this to work." Copied from BeachRunners post
Old 02-16-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

you're gonna get weird looks from your neighbor, locking and unlocking your car, opening and closing the door lol
Old 02-16-2003, 09:57 AM

I felt stupid till I figured I was saving some cash, So I figured what the hell
Old 02-16-2003, 11:34 AM

This worked for me in programing my 99 keyless entry!
Old 02-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Question Rear Window Operation?

Yota_clear, now for your instructions for programming the remotes w/ a factory alarm, will this allow the unlock, lock, panic, AND rear window buttons work? Just checking. Thanks for the help. Peace.

--Mike :bounce2:
Old 02-16-2003, 12:00 PM

orangeman_85

I have a 00 with Keyless only and I used the first method to program my remote. All functionality of the remote works. Lock, Unlock, Window Down and Panic on the back. I just copied the instructions for the factory alarm and have read they were succesful, I have no way of checking it out. Maybe someone who has done htis will chime in with their results.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:56 PM

Yota_Clear-I just purchased a 2000 Limited. I have the Keyless entry and the Theft Deterrent System. I only got one remote when I bought the car so I purchased a second one from e-bay which then needed programming. My dealers' service department was good enough to give me the programming instructions verbally. The instructions I have are slightly different than yours in that the key is not inserted in the beginning of the process.

Note: This applies to 1999 - 2001 4Runners only.

Begin process with the following:
-Driver door open
-Key out of the ignition
-Doors unlocked

1. Lock/unlock doors 5 times using the power door lock.
2. Close and open the driver side door
3. Lock/unlock doors 5 times using the power door lock.
4. Insert key and turn to "on" then "off" 2 times.
5. Remove key.
6. Door locks should cycle automatically indicating that the sequence is accepted.
7. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1 second and release.
8. Press and release the unlock button on the remote by itself.
9. Door locks cycle automatically.
NOTE: Repeat steps 7 and 8 for additional remotes before continuing to step 10. Up to 4 per vehicle can be programmed.
10. Close and open driver door to complete cycle.

After running through the process, all 4 buttons on both remotes work. Additionally, with the alarm set, (by removing the key from the ignition then locking the doors) I opened my door from the inside and the horn started blaring and the lights were flashing. I believe there is a window breakage sensor but I don't think I'm up for testing it (unless I get locked out ).

As far as the note on the '98 4Runner, the '98 uses the RS3000 system and I believe the brain is located under the drivers seat. I had a '92 SR5 with the Factory alarm and the programming instructions were the same as the RS3000 and the brain was also located under the seat.

On my 2000, there is nothing under the seat. I have seen on other posts that it is under the dash/footwell/firewall somewhere but I haven't tracked it down.

I am attaching AlarmInfo.zip that contains three files (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to post them seperatly--newbie): One was posted by "ilocan" on the 4x4Wire's TrailTalk Forum which gives a lot more detail on programming the 1999-2001 system (taken out of the service manual), a copy I found of TSB EL010-01 that describes which years use which remote, and a copy of the RS3000 programming guide.

Does anyone know if there is a place that this can be archived (Sorry, I'm a newbie to the board)? It seems like this comes up a lot. It also took a long time to dig everything up.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:26 PM

I dont believe that mine has any sort of alarm system. You mentioned that the alarm sounded when you were inside. Maybe thats the difference or it may not matter when you put the key in. Thanks for adding your steps since different people may have better luck with putting the key in at a different tiem.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:46 PM

You mentioned that the alarm sounded when you were inside. Maybe thats the difference or it may not matter when you put the key in.
That was just a test to see if the alarm was working. I took the key out of the ignition, locked the doors, and waited ~60 seconds for the alarm to arm then I manually unlocked the door--presto--alarm went off.

Re-posting Hopefully with the attachment this time

Having problems with attachments due to the restriction on file size. Any suggestions on how to post files larger than 50,000bytes. I have two more documents I want to post but can't due to the limitation.
Attached Files

Last edited by Stock4Runner; 02-16-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Instructions for the RS3000

http://www.romaniatoyotaparts.com/viprsalin.html

Last edited by Ravenslair; 02-17-2003 at 02:11 PM.