Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Problems starting to surface?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems starting to surface?

I was running a few errands today. After I shut my truck off for the first time and came back out and started up, problems started to surface.
It felt like hesitating or stumbling. I looked down to see my VSC, traction control & check engine light came on. I drove about half mile home, and disconnected the battery like I did the first time when looking for a place to hide the computer that came with the URD kit. Light went out and the problem seemed to go away till higher rpm's and higher speeds. I went to a local shop and had him hook up the diagnostic tool to the engine. Everything was OK according to it. Then I took it for a drive and the problem was still there, so I continued driving a little more and it went away (seems like it lost a little power though). Then I shut it down and went to do some things. Came back out to go home and the problem was there again. I'm thinking it can be something with the oxygen sensor.
I am hopefully going to get to go see Gadget in the next 2 weeks for him to tune it to perfection, and if not, I am thinking about going back to stock and selling all my parts. After that the only thing I'll do it a lift.
Anyone have any ideas to what might have caused this?
Can it be running to rich?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Approximately what I seemed to waste so far.
$800 Headers
$1,100 Exhaust
$400+2 weeks to put it in at the dealer (Ripped)

$1,900 Supercharger
$875 URD upgrades
$500 to install

$200 Trans cooler
Plus the IPT trans mod, but that I won't "regret" along with the trans cooler.

Almost $6,000 that I wasted and it still does not perform to even close what I thought it may be. With that said, I am really thinking about Ebay as an option. I'll keep the headers and exhaust too, Just a different more quiet muffler since I will be pretty much stock.

What can I get for a 2nd gen supercharger with the URD kit?
S/C has less than 7,000 miles and the URD less than that. I have to check the actual number though. Any Ideas?
That is IF I wind up selling cause the problems don't get fixed.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 08-09-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry. But I can't really take it to the dealer to be fixed under warranty now because of the trans mod and the URD kit, Can I? What will they do if they found the bigger injectors and fuel pump and all the other goodies? Would they replace them and not tell me if they deemed that it was the cause of the problem?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
...and it still does not perform to even close what I thought it may be.
What were you expecting? Remember, you started with an engine that puts out about 183hp pushing a 4200lb (net weight) truck.

The performance mods should get you about 75-100 more horses, that's an increase of 55% on the outside. You're running an auto, so you're going to lose 20% or so of that power in the tranny/torque converter.

On a side note... $1100 for the exhaust system? Is that TRD's price? ouch!

Last edited by midiwall; 08-09-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

This might not make sense, but here goes.
At times it feels like all I have is a little better throttle response. All the gears pull through the same as when it was stock. It doesn't wow me.
But on some better days it performs great.
I just wanted the power most of all to have there. I wasn't expecting a rocket. But for the money I spent, Maybe I should have bought a sports car, or a V-8 Rover since I would rather a truck anyway. I just don't want to have a wimpy truck. I want it to have some balls at least. It just feels that $748,963,502,341 later, I still have what I started with. If Gadget cannot help and these problems are still present, I'm just going to sell the parts off. My neighbor already wants them for his truck after what he sees (well hears ) is happening with mine.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
On a side note... $1100 for the exhaust system? Is that TRD's price? ouch!
Yup, just the cat back. Or I might have the prices reversed. it was right around there, and I had taxes waived and cut a little off the top and they were still alot.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today was pretty hot, SC don't run their best under hot weather, you could have gotten bad gas, since your running your truck at such a high performance level it could be a combination of gas and the heat sucking the power out, but if you feel the truck is no better all around all the time maybe it's time to trade it, I'd go with an 05 V8 4Runner or a 4.4 X5 they sell SC for them,
Old 08-09-2004, 05:15 PM

Have you tried running a smaller pulley? I'm sure the URD kit can be tuned to handle more than 6lbs of boost, (if you purchased the walbro fuel pump as well).

www.pulleyboys.com

Fastest way to get some bang for your buck if you got the fuel. I think URD also has a 2.2 pulley with better belt grip. Definitely check with gadget.

Last edited by QSVeilside; 08-09-2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EDGE
but if you feel the truck is no better all around all the time maybe it's time to trade it, I'd go with an 05 V8 4Runner or a 4.4 X5 they sell SC for them,
there will be no trading of my baby. Especially since it's the last of the 3rd gens. I'll just sell off the stuff if worse comes to worse.
This truck is comming to the grave with me, running of not. And if it's not running, i'll swap the engines or something.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:45 PM

Good to hear your keeping the truck, if you ever feel the truck is underpowered drive a V6 Explorer
Old 08-09-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
geez..... thats really 2 bad that your truck doesnt perform well. My tacoma is so fricking fast it scares people that ride in it, i wonder if there is something wrong with your setup, you should be beating z28's off the line with a supercharged 4runner-- i know this because ive seen it done at the track. maybe not all the way down the track, but the front wheels should seem like their coming off the ground a little bit when u step on it.

i wonder if all the stuff that came in the "kit" is all its cracked up to be? for some reason, my dyno chart shows a HUGE increase in power from stock form-- on the order of 260ft/lbs of torque and 237rwhp...and thats at the wheels.

maybe try the mods that i have on my engine?

but maybe nevermind, some people dont need to go fast-- im selling my tacoma because i have a defective accelerator foot that gets me too many tickets.

T
Old 08-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member

Can it be a a mis-fire? I am thinking it is from washing the engine bay down. But it worked fine the day after.
I started it up again on my way home from work and for the first 1/8th mile, it was stumbling, then I jumped on the turnpike and all was well.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 AM

Sorry. But I can't really take it to the dealer to be fixed under warranty now because of the trans mod and the URD kit, Can I? What will they do if they found the bigger injectors and fuel pump and all the other goodies? Would they replace them and not tell me if they deemed that it was the cause of the problem?

Are you kidding they would NOT replace them and not tell you, they would certainly charge you for parts and labor since they are not at fault with you having moded everything. Mods void the warranty on affected systems.

They made this clear to me awhile back
Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by EDGE
Today was pretty hot, SC don't run their best under hot weather...
Yeah this is something I was going to ask about. What's the weather been like in NJ? I know my truck loves to make power when it's about 63* out and low humidty. Once the temp gets to about 78-80*, it drags ass, and above 87* it feels like sludge.

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
Have you tried running a smaller pulley?
I would STRONGLY recommend that you NOT keep changing things. Doing so just adds more variables into the stew and that's the last thing you need right now.

With the mods you have right now, you should be running 50% more HP than stock. That's a LOT and you should definitely be feeling it. If you're not, then you have to take things one step at a time. With everything tat you've done, your best bet will be to get the truck to someone that _KNOWS_ performance Toyota trucks, and let them go over it. Given your location in the US, that's going to be Gadget. He's graciously offered to look at the truck, and you need to take him up on it.

"Something" is wrong with the rig.

Take a breath, relax, and make time to go see Gadget. In the meantime, I suggest that you stop messing with the rig.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

I would STRONGLY recommend that you NOT keep changing things. Doing so just adds more variables into the stew and that's the last thing you need right now.

With the mods you have right now, you should be running 50% more HP than stock. That's a LOT and you should definitely be feeling it. If you're not, then you have to take things one step at a time. With everything tat you've done, your best bet will be to get the truck to someone that _KNOWS_ performance Toyota trucks, and let them go over it. Given your location in the US, that's going to be Gadget. He's graciously offered to look at the truck, and you need to take him up on it.

"Something" is wrong with the rig.

Take a breath, relax, and make time to go see Gadget. In the meantime, I suggest that you stop messing with the rig.
I have to agree with midiwall. That's the best thing you can do now. I can't wait to hear an update on the problem.

Good Luck

Old 08-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=midiwall]Yeah this is something I was going to ask about. What's the weather been like in NJ? I know my truck loves to make power when it's about 63* out and low humidty. Once the temp gets to about 78-80*, it drags ass, and above 87* it feels like sludge.QUOTE]
The weather here is a little weird right now. The outside thermometer said it was 73° this morning. I have the same basic temp range as you.
I did notice a thread "OK, SO I"M NOT AN ENGINE GUY" that had some of the same symptoms I am having. Can it be when I washed the bay down, the alt wasn't totally dry before I started it up. and maybe shorted something out?
I e-mailed Gadget last night. Just waiting on a reply.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 08-10-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:41 PM

It's pretty cool in the morning but then the day you posted it was hot and humid, my stock non SC V8 feels like it is making less power in this weather so that could be
Old 08-10-2004, 01:19 PM

Can it be when I washed the bay down, the alt wasn't totally dry before I started it up. and maybe shorted something out?
I e-mailed Gadget last night. Just waiting on a reply.
My truck gets pretty wet when we're out playing around and when I wash it as well. I have a couple of pics of the engine bay such that you can't tell where anything is since everything's coated in mud. I've never had a long-term problem coming from that kind of abuse with anything electrical. Any issues I've had were just 1-2 minutes of stumbling and that's it.

In short, no... a flakey alternator wouldn't be causing the problems you're having. Gut feel is that the stumbling is coming from something electrical, but more along the lines of a loose plug wire, fouled plug, the FTC1 installation, etc.

Hmmm... there's a thought. I've kinda' lost track with your various threads, but you left the maps alone in the FTC1, right? Or did you try to go in and adjust them?
Old 08-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

In short, no... a flakey alternator wouldn't be causing the problems you're having. Gut feel is that the stumbling is coming from something electrical, but more along the lines of a loose plug wire, fouled plug, the FTC1 installation, etc.

Hmmm... there's a thought. I've kinda' lost track with your various threads, but you left the maps alone in the FTC1, right? Or did you try to go in and adjust them?
The plugs can foul that fast? I went with the IK22's with the URD kit.
As far as the FTC, It is the way it came pre-programmed from Gadget. I am not up to messing with that stuff, as most of this is new to me.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

It has happened again... Ran sweet as can be on the way in to work. On the way home though, my check engine light was FLASHING for about 20 seconds and the VSC and traction lights did not come on and it was still sputtering.
So I limped her down to the mechanic that had installed the URD kit, he hooked up the OBD scanner, and it kept shutting the scanner down. It, for the most part, locked the OBD out. He said it can be running very rich because of the lack of adjustment on the FTC from the URD kit. And all this stuff with the O2 sensor & FTC that I really didn't catch since I have been up for way too long and am very tired. That does make some sense to me, that maybe somehow the values were either reset or the ECU adjusted more, being that the truck is 25,000 miles young and the fuel system is all upgraded and not tuned.

Quick Reply: Problems starting to surface?