YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Problems with CV boot clamp

Hi,

I have a 98 tacoma and I'm replacing the CV boots. I had never done this before so I read many writeups here and other places and I have the FSM. I purchased the Toyota boot kits.

I'm almost done but I can't get the large inboard clamp (on the tulip) to close. I don't see how Toyota or Toyotas techs can get this to close, it's not even close unless I'm really doing something boneheaded. This is the only one that is not an "ear" style - you simply close it until a pin snaps into a hole. I'm using a pliers type tool which I suspect is not the right way to do it.

I tried to increase the force by using large conventional pliers to add force to the clamp tool and the CV boot clamp will fail before I get close to closing it far enough (see pic). In fact, I don't think the clamp can even close by this method since the holes for the tool will almost overlap.

I have seen where people use zip ties or hose clamps but I hate to do that. Assuming I'm not doing something wrong would a parts store like NAPA carry an ear style replacement clamp?

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Attached Thumbnails
Problems with CV boot clamp-pliers.jpg   Problems with CV boot clamp-pliers2.jpg  
alexh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Contributing Member

Well, I was about to help you out, but, I have never seen that clamp style before! There are two that I have seen from Toyota, but, never that style!

1996 4x4 3.4L SR5 4Runner -- SOLD

6" IFS lift * Front: Tundra TRD Coils/Bilstein 5125 * Rear: FJ80 Shocks/Coils * ARB Bull Bar + Warn M8000 * 35" MTR's * HID's * OBA * E-locked!
BajaRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

It is bizzare that they would put 3 ear style clamps on the axle and then one non-ear style.

It does however match the ones I took off and I'm the original owner.

Also, in the FSM they don't mention an SST for this clamp.

But thanks anyway!

PS. Why is everyone so civil here? I came from another forum, searched around here and I didn't see any insults or harsh criticism. Posts highly informative and accurate also! On that "other" forum the posts almost always seem to degrade into either insults or go way, way off topic.

Last edited by alexh2; 02-17-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Adam F
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh2 View Post
PS. Why is everyone so civil here? I came from another forum, searched around here and I didn't see any insults or harsh criticism. Posts highly informative and accurate also! On that "other" forum the posts almost always seem to degrade into either insults or go way, way off topic.

Your an idiot. If you can't figure out how to use a clamp, you shouldnt be working on the truck. Cut all that IFS junk off and weld in a solid axle. IFS is for sissies.

Is that better?

Seriously though, if you cant get it to work, you can just get a big old worm drive style hose clamp and get it good and tight

Click the image to open in full size.
Adam F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Someone told me that you just use channel lock pliers around the body of the clamp.

The way I was doing it with those pincer type pliers does not work (obviously) on this type of clamp.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #6

Is there any chance you mixed up the clamps for the inner and outer boots? They're labelled with the size, IIRC. Check the other side of the truck ?!?

84 toy pickup
mostly stock
86tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #7

i never have good luck with those style of boots, i always use the foldover style.....

But i do believe that the only way i have ever seen these style put on are with the special tool (ford is a little differant style but would work the same) it hooks to the peice to the left of the "failing peice" and goes all the way around then uses leverage to force the teeth on the lower peice of the clamp together.....so maybe if you could figure something out to wrap the whole thing and get it really tight....that doesnt look nearly tight enough

If you have to ask..... you dont wana know
bleakhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam F View Post
Seriously though, if you cant get it to work, you can just get a big old worm drive style hose clamp and get it good and tight

Click the image to open in full size.
Just out of personal experience, I wouldn't use these style clamp. They aren't quite the right size width for the CV boot. Mine tore through pretty quick after my OEM one slipped off. It was worth a try though since I didn't want to pull the half shaft out!

1996 4x4 3.4L SR5 4Runner -- SOLD

6" IFS lift * Front: Tundra TRD Coils/Bilstein 5125 * Rear: FJ80 Shocks/Coils * ARB Bull Bar + Warn M8000 * 35" MTR's * HID's * OBA * E-locked!
BajaRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
I don't even mess with replacing boots anymore, it's alot easier to just get a new axle if the boots are in rough shape. The cost factor is pretty cheap to just replace the entire axle if you look at what the parts and your time is worth.

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!
MTL_4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #10

I agree with MTL_Runner. I bought a brand new axle shaft for $88 cdn at Partsource. Not worth the bother to replace boots. The axle is warrantied for life as well!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
boot, clamp, clamps, cv, ear, hose, napa, plier, put, replace, ties, tool, toyota, working, zip