Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Problems with 2003 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems with 2003 4Runner

I get a drone and vibration when accelerating at low-torque and low RPM. Usually when in 5th gear (Auto). Thought it was transmission, drive shaft, exhaust rattle, cheap gas. But dealer cannot hear or feel it. It began happening @5000 miles. Truck now has 6100 miles. If I bought it this way, I would not be worried---or upset. However, I remember buying a quieter, more smoother running 4Runner 4 months ago.

Any ideas?
Help!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

have you checked to see if if there was a nick on one of the rims? (maybe the weight fell off)... just a shot in the dark.

Also maybe some mud or foreign substance on the axle (front) could be the cause too (who knows).

other than that, i'm abit lost... also try another stealership to see if they can solve the problem. who knows they might be able to figure it out
Old 01-02-2004, 12:36 PM

Reply to Good Times....

All wheels have been re-balanced in an effort to solve this problem. I like your second suggestion, though. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:15 PM

Better yet, if you can reliably reproduce the problem, take the service manager for a demo ride when you take it in next time. Nothing convinces them better than the customer showing the problem, rather than just describing it.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:01 AM

Reply to John

Thank you John.
It must be driven to notice it.
Cannot be detected from passenger seat.
They do not notice anything wrong from the driver seat.
Very Frustrating.
I am trying a different dealer this week.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:18 AM

I think I know the "drone" you are talking about. It happens when at low RPMs (below say 2500) and you give it a lot of gas (but not enough to make it drop a gear), correct ? If so, it's perfectly normal. In this case, you are simply lugging the engine. Since our engines are overhead cammers, they don't get to their torque peak until higher in the RPM range - usually around 2500 RPM or so. Giving the engine a lot of gas at low RPM will cause it to lug until it gets higher into the RPMs.

If this is the drone you are talking about, I most often get it when I've got the truck full of people or other junk and am going up a grade. Highway on-ramps are where this happens most often for me.

Let us know what you find out !

Steve
Old 01-05-2004, 05:40 AM

Reply to Steve

Thank you Steve.

Yes you are correct in describing the "drone".
And when it occurs.

However, the vibration that accompanies the "drone" is the most upsetting. In the gas pedal, in the driver seat, in the floor.

AND---it wasn't there when I bought the truck in October 2003.

Does your's vibrate also????
Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 AM

However, the vibration that accompanies the "drone" is the most upsetting. In the gas pedal, in the driver seat, in the floor.
Hmmm.... Don't notice it in the floor/gas pedal, but I can feel it in the steering wheel/seat. I agree, it wasn't there when I bought the truck, either. But to be perfectly honest, it really doesn't bother me. The truck doesn't surge, power doesn't vary, it's just as smooth in the power delivery as it always is. I would definitely have a problem if the vehicle surged during this time.

I've had the vibration you are talking about since about 3K miles. Have 15k on it now without any problems...

Steve
Old 01-05-2004, 11:14 AM

Reply #2 to Steve

You are being very helpful, and reassuring.

However, it just dosen't seem healthy. I've driven and owned lots of other vehicles before this one. None of them did this.

Also, while crusing along in 5th (auto) at low rpm's, when you slightly push gas pedal, a roughness exists---it is actually the prelude to the Drone & Vibration Show.

It drived me crazy!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:51 AM

deadduke1,

The vibration you are talking about is commonplace with the V8. It a natural vibration most of us complain about. It rears its ugly head only under acceleration. It usually between the 75 and 85 mph range. Rumors circulate around the front differential being the source. Don't know if Toyota is doing anything about it. If you search, you willl find other write ups on this issue. I have the same problem with my truck. All I can say is, it's okay. it's normal. The dealer likely won't do much for you. Other Members have complained on serveral occasions. Dealer won't take the car over the local speed limit.

Sorry!

Dutchman
Old 01-05-2004, 12:01 PM

Also, while crusing along in 5th (auto) at low rpm's, when you slightly push gas pedal, a roughness exists---it is actually the prelude to the Drone & Vibration Show.
Yep. Got that too....

I don't mean to sound condescending, but have you owned V8 trucks before ? This is my 4th V8, and they have all had odd vibrations/lugging at various RPMs. This always occurred when you kept the engine at low RPMs, tho....

In fact, I had a Dodge V-10 that would lug at 55mph, just after getting into 4th gear. You want some odd vibrations/noise, you should have experienced that ! Rattled even the exhaust manifold heat shield (sounded like a bell driving down the street !). Drove that to over 38K miles before trading it in...

Steve
Old 01-05-2004, 01:20 PM

Reply to Steve (3)

Well I haven't had an V8 since my Plymouth Fury III (1967).

I would like to drive a V6 4Runner to see what that feels like.

Bob