Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Problem with Taurus Electric Fan Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Problem with Taurus Electric Fan Mod

Have a bit of a puzzlement. Most of you here know I recently installed the Taurus fan mod in my 98 Runner, did a trip to SoCal and back and had GR8 results! I have run into a bit of a problem and thought I would ask those of you who maybe have seen this.

I went over the mountains to eastern Washington about 2 weeks ago. The return trip was a bit "warm" (like 112 in Yakima) or around 37c (that was for you Belize) Anyway, the truck seemed ot do just fine on the trip, no over heat, AC worked flawlessly yada, yada, yada. Got home and parked the truck life is good. Didn't drive it for about a week then went out to open the truck and the remote alarm would not work. Unlocked the truck and started to check things, popped the hood and my hood lights did not come on, "oh well there is the problem, the battery died, must have left an interior light on" Get out charger, charge up the battery, as the power is coming up, the alarm starts going off. AWWWWWW! I opened the door lock with the key, the battery was dead but the security system still remembered it had been set! Still no big deal.

Let the battery charger do its thing, but then noted that my electric fan came on ... now that doesn't make any sense, the truck is stone cold. So just turn it off. Put select switch in the OFF position and let the battery charge up. Took the truck for a drive and the fan still is wanting to come on whent he engine temp is still COLD. I just monitored the engine temp and when it got to normal operating range, I kept an eye on it.

Shifted the switch to on and it seems to be fine now, not coming on, temp staying at or below normal ops temp. So I started to experiment (read that troubleshoot). I selected AC and the fan came right on just ike its supposed to do. So I shut it off but the fan keep running. I let it go for a few minutes but it never shut down, so I once again turned it off.

Next to try was to see if I could get it to stay off at below normal ops temp. Eventually it did so shifted the fan back to Automatic (LO) but then it started to cycle on/off/on/off. After I shut down the truck, it was fine for about 3 minutes then started to cycle on/off again, but this time I turned it off. Later when the truck was completely cold again, I switched the fan back to LO and the fan came on, no cycling, just on.

I started turning the fan off when I get done driving the truck as the fan will start running and that what killed the battery before. So now When I start out in the morning (air temp around 55-60) the fan will stay off when the engine temp is COLD from overnite, but then when the temp gets right up to operating temp it starts cycling rapidly on/off. Another issue I can't quite figure out is now if I turn on the heating system fan (NOT with AC selected) say like defrost, if I have the electric fan in LO it comes on just like if AC is selected. Not supposed to do that, but I am wondering if somehow or other the relay control module has failed. Any inputs? Thanks guys
Old 08-28-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would put the stock clutch fan assembly back on...mucho more reliable IMO
Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have the dccontroller or a homebrew?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 AM

Reliability not the issue here, and from a performance standpoint, I gained almost 2 MPG on the highway and I have not had any overheating issues. My cooling system almost doesn't need any cooling fan, clutch or electric its so efficient. What I was just looking for a possible answer to the weird operation that had not been an issue before on my previous installs of this mod using the same components. Wanting to see if maybe others could post infor on the type of relay control system they have used and if they had any after install issues. Lots of high performance vehicles use electric fans over clutch fans. Having the extra cooling from the electric fan is a welcome benefit, as well as the HP gained but thanks for your input.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ford parts suck.

next question
Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

It sounds to me like your controller is mis-wired or has failed. I would try wiring just a single control box with temperature sensor to see if it turns on when it should, and then incrementally add complexity. It sounds to me like you have 2 or 3 different control setups stacked on top of each other and they may be interfering.

...And all of you E-fan naysayers need to stop being a waste of space
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually the Ford fans are great, this is clearly a controller/wiring problem.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Lots of high performance vehicles use electric fans over clutch fans. Having the extra cooling from the electric fan is a welcome benefit, as well as the HP gained but thanks for your input.
the 4runner is not a high performance vehicle. it is an ultra reliable family truckster that can go places other so called 'SUV's cannot.

squeeze 2 mpg more from it fine. with an electric fan, you don't gain horsepower, that is incorrect. the hotter engine gains horsepower. but of course this motor is not designed to take advantage of extra heat in that way. what happens is you don't steal as much horsepower running the fan electrically than with a belt. but there is no gain.

anyway I think the point is if you are tossing odd parts in it, you should know all about those parts so if things do go wrong (like battery draining) you should be able to fix and diagnose it on your own.

it is an electric fan. get a multimeter and find out what the problem is, or examine the existing 'taurus mod' advice more thoroughly

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 08-28-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
the 4runner is not a high performance vehicle. it is an ultra reliable family truckster that can go places other so called 'SUV's cannot.
The best advantage of an electric fan for an off-roader is that you can have full cooling power at any time, even when you're off-roading around at 1500 rpm in 4x4-low. A mechanical fan requires your engine to be pulling a certain RPM range to achieve optimum cooling.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I don't have anything to offer on your problem but I have to agree with the others. I undid my Taurus fan mod with dccontroller after having way too many problems with it. It was nice when it worked but I eventually just got sick and tired of dealing with all the problems and being constantly worried about the engine temp.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Another issue I can't quite figure out is now if I turn on the heating system fan (NOT with AC selected) say like defrost, if I have the electric fan in LO it comes on just like if AC is selected. Not supposed to do that, but I am wondering if somehow or other the relay control module has failed.
Many vehicles switch on the AC for defrosting, don't know for sure about your truck.

Sounds like to me you have it wired to run with the AC on, and have the controller wired to run with the ign switch off and maybe another problem or 2 as well.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

I still want your Mark VIII fan Dale. Is summer over yet?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Some reading for those who think the mechanical fans never have problems:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-words-145323/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-part-143611/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-3-0-a-105823/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icking-148544/
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
I still want your Mark VIII fan Dale. Is summer over yet?
Yeah, ok. I'll be coming though Santa Fe Nov 5th, I can bring it up.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah, ok. I'll be coming though Santa Fe Nov 5th, I can bring it up.
SOLD!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:18 AM

I still feel more comfortable with the mechanical fan...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Do you have the dccontroller or a homebrew?

*Adjustable thermostat/controller TorqFlo p/n 733647 – LO speed
Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 AM

This is the e-fans I run; (210B) low-profile duel fans with adjustable t-stat:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html

I have these for several years. I set the t-stat to where I wanted it to come on and it has never given me any problems. I also connected a direct dash mounted switch so while sitting in traffic, I can turn them on manually to assist with a/c cooling.

You can also get this more specific set, but it cost more and is basically the same set-up:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/toyota-tacoma.html

Last edited by pfdaxe; 08-28-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
This is the e-fans I run; (210B) low-profile duel fans with adjustable t-stat:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html

I have these for several years. I set the t-stat to where I wanted it to come on and it has never given me any problems. I also connected a direct dash mounted switch so while sitting in traffic, I can turn them on manually to assist with a/c cooling.

You can also get this more specific set, but it cost more and is basically the same set-up:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/toyota-tacoma.html

Good info, thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 AM

I did not intend this post to become a rant and rave so I apologize but I just have to vent my spleen.

I posted this in hopes of not only trying to assist me in troubleshooting, (using others experience) but to also aid others in trying to install or investigating the potential of installing this mod. I never intended this to become a pros and cons debate on the advantages and disadvantages of installing an electric cooling system. I get so frustrated when anyone comes on here to post a question for help and the naysayers come out with their stories of doom and gloom.

I can understand where the pro-siders and the con-siders are coming from as I too have opinions on issues from time to time on here. But I did not ask about the pros and cons of installing or not installing an electric fan. I did not attempt to debate performance gains or loses. We all have our likes and dislikes. I needed some ideas on what to check first not critizing my decision on whether I should or should have not installed a mod. This is all part of "customizing".

This is not a mod for everyone, I also understood most of the issues I could face going into this mod when I did it. I had already perfomed this mod on a Gen 2 with GREAT sucess. As for horsepower, MPG gain or any other other claim, it is all based on what I personally have experienced. I'm not an automotive engineer or a performance race car driver. The fact that "our" trucks are not "high performance" has nothing to do with my post. (Tell the guys with TRD Superchargers in their 4runners and Tacos they are not driving high performance vehicles! )

I simply stated a fact I have read on other websites that many high performance cars (and regualr performance cars) do use electric fans. Why? Because you do gain horse power from the engine as it is not having to work to turn a clutch fan. If it is only 1-2 HP it is still a gain. Pure and simple. If the engine isn't having to work as hard to push the truck forward your MPG will go up, maybe not much, 2MPG is not alot if you're getting 35-40 mpg but with our average here in the upper teens a 2 mpg increase is gonna save you some cash at $4+ a gallon IMHO.

There are other advantages to an electric fan cooling system as have been pointed out as well. I will not belabor that point. My point is this: my install was fun, educational, and very effective for me but like anything else mechanical/electrical, it will have issues, not because it was a custom aftermarket project. Hey stuff breaks! Lets not bash others projects just because you don't like it or don't understand why it was done. What is the point in lowering a 4runner to the ground and putting 22 inch wheels on it with 2 inch thick tires? Where the heck is the versatility in an off road vehicle in that? Well DUH!! Its because the guy who did it LIKES it that way. It wasn't designed that way, it was never intended to be modified in that way but it doesn't mean it should or should not be done, right??

So for those of you who have contributed information and insite, thank you very much.

For those who are trying to tell me I wasted my time by doing it or you don't understand why I would do it, What is the gain in doing it, fine, its your opinion and I respect that, but I have only one thing to say to you guys the next time you want to post comments like that, read the post, or as we would say in the Navy RTFQ and then keep the response to the question asked

So for those of you still reading this post and may have missed it, I ALREADY did the mod. I weighed the pros and cons before. I just needed some suggestions on things to check to help save me some time. Having someone on the "outside" of your problem can see things that we might miss, even the obcious. Thanks for your input.

To quote a fellow 4runner customizer here on the board "If it has tits or tires its gonna give you trouble" nuff said

Quick Reply: Problem with Taurus Electric Fan Mod