Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PreRunner Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PreRunner Mods

Hey!

I'd like to turn my black and chrome 1999 Toyota Truck Tacoma PreRunner Extra Cab 2WD (L4-2694cc 2.7L DOHC 3RZ-FE MFI) into a project truck, but there's so many variables I'm not sure if all of these mods are 100% compatible with one another. I thought I'd post it here as this is the most informed Toyota forum I've found. Here's what I'd like to do...

- Get a rebuilt (fresh as possible) V6-3378cc 3.4L DOHC (5VZ-FE) MFI engine (about 190 hp)

- Possibly have it disassembled, balanced and blueprinted (+10 hp)

- Add a few TRD components... intake, exhaust, plate, other suggestions? (+25 hp)

- Add a TRD supercharger (+50 hp), a 7th injector (+25 hp), headers, dual stainless exhaust (+10 hp)

- TRD ECM chip to handle the differences due to the injector and supercharger.

- Mate it with a manual tranny. I don't know if this is possible since the PreRunner only came with an automatic. Might be some cabin and center console mods to accomodate the stickshift and new clutch pedal.

Questions...

All these mods are definitely within the realm of possible, right? I mean, there's nothing ultra exotic here is there? I'd be over 300 hp (maybe more) with mostly factory stuff.

Are there any suggestions for trannies? I drive 90% street so off-road isn't a requirement. Don't need or want 4wd. I'd also prefer bolt-on with as few custom chops as possible. Can I even drop a manual into a PreRunner? They only came with an automatic. Which manual trannies fit?

Would I need a different driveshaft? Different wiring harness? HD clutch (probably)? Is different gearing available (or required) for the rear diff?

Are there any good references or information out there for any of the more tricky mods like the supercharger, 7th inj, chip thing, even Tacoma engine swaps in general?

Considering it's out of warranty now, would you recommend dealership installation for any of this or are all these mods something an average to above average car mechanic could figure out? Which mods would you avoid doing yourself?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails PreRunner Mods-truk_frt.jpg  
Old 03-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah,make it a quick street truck and maybe an occasional trip to the strip.

That be nice since you get no snow and barely have anything resembling an actual hill in Florida (my mom went to HS in Melbourne) so embrace that 2wd and beef it up to embarrass more than a few ricey cars/trucks.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, I love Melbourne!!! I went to FIT for a while down there.

Anyway, even with all the mods you will be only in the high 200s on HP at the rear wheels. The 7th injector will not gain you 25 HP I don't think, you best bet is a set of headers and Gadget's URD fuel kit. The swap would be bad at all since it was an option in your vehicle year anyway. I would just find another 2wd 5spd 4runner or tacoma and pull the entire drivetrain and transplant it into yours. Make sure to get the ECU and wiring harness when you do it.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
even with all the mods you will be only in the high 200s on HP at the rear wheels. The 7th injector will not gain you 25 HP I don't think. Make sure to get the ECU and wiring harness when you do it.
High 200's? That's cool, I just need to make sure I'm faster than my wife's 2004 v6 Altima :-)

You're probably right about the SC/7inj/ECU...
http://www.trdusa.com/TRDSupercharge...rInjection.htm
but adding the TRD headers, intake, and plate make me think I might be able to just barely tweak it over the edge of 300 hp. I'd be more than happy with that. Those stats are also a CA vehicle and I think they have extra smog junk on there to slow things down. Here in FL we can rip out just about everything because there's no emissions testing or state vehicle inspections. Heck, you don't even need proper bumpers or an intact exhaust system down here.

As for the wiring harness and ECU from the donor... doesn't the TRD ECU kit replace the donor's ECU? Or does the TRD ECU kit just provide you with a new chip?
Old 03-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

the real numbers are 220-250 rwhp, dyno proven! if the wifes alty is a 5spd you should get the engine from urd too, or shell still beat up on you. have fun, i say make the alty faster
Old 03-05-2004, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by its2slo
the real numbers are 220-250 rwhp, dyno proven! if the wifes alty is a 5spd you should get the engine from urd too, or shell still beat up on you. have fun, i say make the alty faster
Those hp numbers include what, charger? charger and 7th inj? charger, 7th, and TRD ECU chip? And dyno proven by whom, TRD, you, third party? Sounds a little weak for several thousand dollars worth of hardware.

And the Altima is an automatic powered by the same engine that's in the 350z (minus a couple performance tweaks) advertised at 245 hp so I ain't really skeered (although it ain't no slouch) but if you think for a second she's going to let me mod her baby... well... let's just say you'd hear her laughing all the way to your house. As it is she gave me a strained look when I told her I was going to gut my perfectly good Tacoma. It will all be clear to her the first time she borrows it to go to Home Depot :-)
Old 03-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dhoule
Those hp numbers include what, charger? charger and 7th inj? charger, 7th, and TRD ECU chip? And dyno proven by whom, TRD, you, third party? Sounds a little weak for several thousand dollars worth of hardware.

And the Altima is an automatic powered by the same engine that's in the 350z (minus a couple performance tweaks) advertised at 245 hp so I ain't really skeered (although it ain't no slouch) but if you think for a second she's going to let me mod her baby... well... let's just say you'd hear her laughing all the way to your house. As it is she gave me a strained look when I told her I was going to gut my perfectly good Tacoma. It will all be clear to her the first time she borrows it to go to Home Depot :-)
When I said high 200s I meant maybe 250-275 rwhp or maybe just over 300 HP at the crank with every mod you could throw on it within reason (S/C, 7th inj, chipped, headers, etc). There was a 600HP 3.4L twin centrifugal supercharged 4runner, but the guy spent like $25k building it up. The limit is really what amount of money you are willing to dump into it.

Here is what crazy money will buy you!

Old 03-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dhoule
And the Altima is an automatic powered by the same engine that's in the 350z (minus a couple performance tweaks) advertised at 245 hp so I ain't really skeered (although it ain't no slouch) :-)
well then youd be okay, maybe. 5spd altys can run under 14 seconds in the quarter mile with only intake, exhaust, and good tires. add a stillen intake and pulley youre looking at 13.6. the fastest stock auto ive seen is 14.6, 14.3 with intake and exhaust. straight sleepers.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

two dynos just this week.........
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...7365.1&maxT=19

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...y&msg=107449.1
Old 03-06-2004, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
When I said high 200s I meant maybe 250-275 rwhp or maybe just over 300 HP at the crank with every mod you could throw on it within reason (S/C, 7th inj, chipped, headers, etc). There was a 600HP 3.4L twin centrifugal supercharged 4runner, but the guy spent like $25k building it up. The limit is really what amount of money you are willing to dump into it.
Yah, that's cool and all, but it's a little overboard for me. I don't have $25K to play with like that and I don't knw that I'd go that far if I did. I just want something for daily driving that will get up and go when you step on it. Something that looks nice and sounds nice but can surprise the guy next to me at the stoplight.