Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Preparing a New OEM Rear Bumper ?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preparing a New OEM Rear Bumper ?

I have a new rear bumper for my 02 4Runner and want to coat the inside with something to slow the rust. The bumper came from Toyota with some sort of coating on the inside of the bumper - it is almost waxy. Does anyone know what this is? Should I leave it on and put spray on bedliner or undercoating over it, or remove it and then coat with ? Any suggestion appreciated. I'm also going to wire brush some of the rust starting underneath the body and spray with rust converter - any suggestions there? Thanks for your help.

Bob H.
Pittsburgh, Pa
Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
It could be cosmoline. a waxy oily substance often used to coat stored firearms.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
As for the frame, think of treating the inside also.
most rust from the inside out
Old 05-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BHap
I have a new rear bumper for my 02 4Runner and want to coat the inside with something to slow the rust. The bumper came from Toyota with some sort of coating on the inside of the bumper - it is almost waxy. Does anyone know what this is? Should I leave it on and put spray on bedliner or undercoating over it, or remove it and then coat with ? Any suggestion appreciated. I'm also going to wire brush some of the rust starting underneath the body and spray with rust converter - any suggestions there? Thanks for your help.

Bob H.
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would think that if your going to use any type of bed liner coating, it will not adhere good to the bumper with this waxy coating still on. You would have to remove it first. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My new rock sliders just came in, unfinished and coated in some sort of oil. It was suggested to me by some metal workers that before I have them Line-Xd, I should heat them up with a torch to burn out the oil that is now embedded into the metal pours.

Last edited by michael1963; 05-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by michael1963
I would think that if your going to use any type of bed liner coating, it will not adhere good to the bumper with this waxy coating still on. You would have to remove it first. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My new rock sliders just came in, unfinished and coated in some sort of oil. It was suggested to me by some metal workers that before I have them Line-Xd, I should heat them up with a torch to burn out the oil that is now embedded into the metal pours.
As you will note from my avatar, I am a LINE-X franchise. Consider that a disclosure statement.

To get proper adhesion to your rock sliders, you will first want to have them sandblasted to give it a good profile and then have them primed. The LINE-X dealer should be able to handle both for you.

LINE-X binds to paint or finish, not bare metal and I had an issue with failure on powder coated items. In the thread I just posted are pics of the front bumper for my truck I just sprayed.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

You are correct. If you're going to line it then you'll want to strip it to complete bare metal.

When most manufacturers ship rock sliders, skids, or bumpers, they will most likely send said armor with a coating of oil that will prevent rusting during shipping. To get said coating off of the metal it is best to use some acetone, some shop rags, and some good elbow grease.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baloo
As you will note from my avatar, I am a LINE-X franchise. Consider that a disclosure statement.

To get proper adhesion to your rock sliders, you will first want to have them sandblasted to give it a good profile and then have them primed. The LINE-X dealer should be able to handle both for you.

LINE-X binds to paint or finish, not bare metal and I had an issue with failure on powder coated items. In the thread I just posted are pics of the front bumper for my truck I just sprayed.
Thanks Baloo, disclosure statement noted. I use to work for the local Line-X dealer here in town, I love the product. I have my front bumper done with the cevlar. I think the best thing I could have done to it.

I want to have my sliders done the same way because I know the type of protection I'm getting. Actually the sandblasting shop is right next door to the dealer as his machine is too small for the sliders to fit into and, I think it is one of those gravity fed types...not a lot of power behind it.

From what I can see of from your post, the bumper looks pretty good. Can you post more pics? I can't open your first one and I would like to see the whole bumper.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your really going to be scratching your sliders on things why not just rattle can them? It's just going to scratch off anyways and you'll need to touch them up. X2 on the acetone. I think burning the oil will just imbed more contaminates into the pores of the metal
Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by SCToy
If your really going to be scratching your sliders on things why not just rattle can them? It's just going to scratch off anyways and you'll need to touch them up. X2 on the acetone. I think burning the oil will just imbed more contaminates into the pores of the metal
Understood but, I'm not 'planning' on getting them all scratched up as that is not the type of 4wheeling I really do (basically because that isn't the type of terrain we have here), not saying that I'm not going to get them all scratched up.

On my previous bumper (Grizzly), I had it coated with that rocker guard spray. I didn't like having to touch them up every year.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Sorry BHap, I don't mean to be hi-jacking your thread.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Baloo, disclosure statement noted. I use to work for the local Line-X dealer here in town, I love the product. I have my front bumper done with the cevlar. I think the best thing I could have done to it.

I want to have my sliders done the same way because I know the type of protection I'm getting. Actually the sandblasting shop is right next door to the dealer as his machine is too small for the sliders to fit into and, I think it is one of those gravity fed types...not a lot of power behind it.

From what I can see of from your post, the bumper looks pretty good. Can you post more pics? I can't open your first one and I would like to see the whole bumper.
I am doing the rear sometime this week.

Bumper1

bumper2

Bumper3

Last edited by Baloo; 05-08-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Baloo
I am doing the rear sometime this week.

Bumper1

bumper2

Bumper3
Nice looking bumper. I really like that design.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BHap
Bob,
Very timely - I just went through this.

I initially ordered the front bumper (chrome section) from Toyota because it had rusted through completely. I found that brake cleaner made quick work of removing the light film of wax on the inside. After I was certain that the inside was squeaky clean, I masked around the perimeter and then sprayed numerous coats of a Duplicolor undercoat. I let it dry for a few days before piecing everything back together.

A few weeks later, I looked at the pin holes developing in my rear bumper, swallowed very hard, and ordered the center section. As soon as I pulled it from the truck, it became apparent that the two outer sections were moments from rusting through as well. So, I took another deep breath and ordered those as well. I repeated what I did for the front chrome piece. Beyond that, I also removed the rear bumper brackets, bead blasted them, and etch primed & painted.

It was a very expensive refreshing, but I’ve owned the truck since new, and it's been a superb vehicle for 221,000 miles.

I had my heart set on a Shrockworks front bumper, but in the end decided that replacing all of the tired bumper components made more sense than one (very nice) expensive front bumper.

Good luck.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 05-13-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Sandblast and Line-x the entire thing...
Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Yeah, sandblasted and line-x'd my new chrome bumper...NOT!! What I did do was clean the factory coating - first with acetone but it made it gummy, then with a strong degreaser and it came right off. I scuffed the inside of the bumpers with 320 sandpaper, then masked and primed with self-etching primer. After that I coated the inside with a spray on undercoating. Put back on the truck and hopefully will be good to go for at least another 10 years of PA winters. Thanks for the suggestions and help....