Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PowerTank

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PowerTank

i know some members have them and i am really starting to consider having one. i do a lot of driving including a 250 mile trip to and from school in pretty desolate areas. I think that the security of having one on road would be as beneficial as being able to air back up etc. Anyway, i am just looking for experiences and advice and as always the place to get one for the best price.

thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 09:29 AM

I got it from X-treme Mike. He cut me a great deal.

They have a lot of uses. Airing up tires, reseating beads and...
Old 09-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh!, the memories of Madison!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:38 AM

is that the 15lb tank or the 10? i like the storage capabilities of the 10 but may end up with the 15
Old 09-24-2003, 11:13 AM

Is it just compressed air? I've never seen one, but I've been trying to figure out the quickest way to air back up after airing down for trail riding. Could I use one of those, or would it not last very long if I went from 15-40 psi on all four tires every time I went wheeling?

Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 11:18 AM
CTB

Originally posted by ravencr
Is it just compressed air? I've never seen one, but I've been trying to figure out the quickest way to air back up after airing down for trail riding. Could I use one of those, or would it not last very long if I went from 15-40 psi on all four tires every time I went wheeling?

Chris
The PowerTank holds CO2
Old 09-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Power Tanks rule.

Other than the fact you have to get it refilled once in awhile, they are great.
They can air up around 30 to 40 tires per tank from 15 psi back up to street pressure.

I use mine exclusively for checking my tire pressure every 3 weeks or so too, and for using my impact wrench to change tires as seen in my video, and for airing back up.

Get yourself a tire patch kit too so if you get a flat, you can air the tire back up with ease.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: PowerTank

Originally posted by justinh
i know some members have them and i am really starting to consider having one. i do a lot of driving including a 250 mile trip to and from school in pretty desolate areas. I think that the security of having one on road would be as beneficial as being able to air back up etc. Anyway, i am just looking for experiences and advice and as always the place to get one for the best price.

thanks
It sounds like you don't do a lot of off roading or deflate your tires much. If that's the case then I would spend the money on a Viair compressor. It's smaller so it's more convenient to carry around. They say it'll air up all 4 tires in about 15 minutes, whereas the power tank will do all 4 tires in about 2-3 minutes. However, if you don't air down too often then a compressor will be fine. Alternatively, you can try the caddy compressors that I'm using (see my website).

Chris, the powertank will air up many more tires than a comparably sized air tank. Using a big air tank full of air is not a feasible solution.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:51 PM

it goes off road when i need it to and whenever i get the chance, lack of mods has swayed me a bit but the lift and tires are sitting here waiting to go on and as soon as my other 2 cars are sold more mods will come unless i decide to buy this 1982 nissan patrol i have my eye on. regardless if i am going to purchase an air source it will be a powertank not much more for the initial investment than an air compressor and i would much rather have the tank than an electric air compressor.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:57 PM

Mine is a 15.

One fill covered all my trips this summer until Arizona. Probably a dozen or so air ups from 12 to 36 on 33's.

I also have an ARB compressor. Not great for tires, but it is good piece of mind so when the PT is out, I can still get to road pressure.

It takes me about as much time to inflate one tire as it does to walk around the truck. I don't even have time to tell stories when I air up, it is that quick.

Madison pretty cool. Were you here for work or play?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:02 PM

Re: Re: PowerTank

Originally posted by Robinhood150
[B]It sounds like you don't do a lot of off roading or deflate your tires much. If that's the case then I would spend the money on a Viair compressor. It's smaller so it's more convenient to carry around. They say it'll air up all 4 tires in about 15 minutes, whereas the power tank will do all 4 tires in about 2-3 minutes. However, if you don't air down too often then a compressor will be fine. Alternatively, you can try the caddy compressors that I'm using (see my website).
So is there any downfall to the Powertank? It seems it's much faster than a good air compressor, right? And, it will run air tools??

Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pros:
-Extremely fast
-Runs air tools
-Will re-seat a bead
-Can be used to air up keg

Cons:
-Relatively bulky, one more thing to strap down in the back of the truck.
-Can run out of CO2, that' why lots of people like to have a backup air compressor, just in case.
-Everybody wants to use it, so you have to charge them to use it. CO2's not free.
-Have to find a welding supply place that will refill and not just exchange tank.

That's all I can think of right now. The biggest selling point is how fast it can refill tires. It gets boring waiting 20 minutes to refill your tires, especially when you have to refill other peoples.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Cons:
-Relatively bulky, one more thing to strap down in the back of the truck.
Where can I find a web site that carries these so I can look at the exact dimensions of the tank?
-Can run out of CO2, that' why lots of people like to have a backup air compressor, just in case.
That's okay, because in the semi near future I'll have an ARB front locker.
-Everybody wants to use it, so you have to charge them to use it. CO2's not free.
As long as they are clear!!
-Have to find a welding supply place that will refill and not just exchange tank.
Is this really a problem or just more so about finding a place that will do and sticking with them?
That's all I can think of right now. The biggest selling point is how fast it can refill tires. It gets boring waiting 20 minutes to refill your tires, especially when you have to refill other peoples. [/B]
I'm thinking this would be a sweet setup for Roger Brown's 4air setup. I could air down really quick and vice versa? Anybody else using his 4air setup?

Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 01:55 PM

You can also shop around and make yoyr own powertank - and probably save a few bucks - as I did. I ended up getting a 20# tank - which is a little big but was the smallest I could get my hands on. I also got a regulator that has both a guage for line out pressure and aslo pressure inside the tank - so I can tell when I'm close to running out. hus, no surprises on the trail.

Here's where I got a lot of my info on my quest to build my own...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/co2/co2-1.htm

John
Old 09-24-2003, 02:00 PM

So how much are these Powertanks and where does one buy them for the best price?

Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 02:08 PM

Mike at Xtreme Offroad sells them ...

http://www.xtremeoff-road.com/catalo...wertank_pt.htm

Also another option is the Outback Air (less expensive)

http://www.xtremeoff-road.com/catalo...k_air_tank.htm

John
Old 09-24-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ravencr
So how much are these Powertanks and where does one buy them for the best price?

Chris
Lesse, lesse... who does some of the best deals around for folks on the forum?

I can't quite come up with his name, but people talk about him all the time... Hmmm... ummm...

OH YEAH! MIKE!

http://www.xtremeoff-road.com/catalo...wertank_pt.htm

As usual, write him versus taking the posted prices as gospel.

You might want to search here on "Powertank" as well Chris. There have been many threads about the pros and cons of CO2 tanks, even in the last few months.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:18 PM

Sounds good! Of course Mike will be getting my business.

Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 02:39 PM

The Source-CO2 tank

I'll throw this out there. It is the same as the Powershot. Comes with mounting bracket, 20' hose, hi-quality reg. It's a bit less $$ but is very high quality.
I got this for the price and they are local. Nice people and solid product.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:50 PM

My 15 is a big bugger.

I get it refilled in the little town where I grew up. Most of the rest of you should be able to find a fill rather than exchange place in your big metros. I use a fire extinguisher place.

Mike is such a high class vendor that when I ran out of CO2 in Arizona, he even told me places to go to get it filled, and so I went to Road Runner.

Power Tank in the search should yield reading for weeks.

The true Power Tank has a regulator so that you can tune it down for tools or run it wide open for tires.

In Colorado, I filled my tires, gave Jeff a hose, gave the tank to Mike to fill his tires and still had time to offer Lee and Martin air before the compressor guys were done.

If you read my first post, you can see I got it from Mike.

Downside about using it is that people always ask if I have a scuba tank in my truck. I tell them they can use it, but it would make for a short trip.

Quick Reply: PowerTank