95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power Steering Pump Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:01 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Pump Question?

Hey my 1995 Power Steering Pump is leaking, will a 2000 4runner Power Steerin Pump fit? Is there any differences. I found one pretty cheap is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 01-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Jeremy,

I don't know the answer to your question, but are you sure it's the pump?

I had a leaking problem with my 91 and most of the leakage was coming from the hose. I had that replaced, and it was still leaking a little. I picked up some power steering leak stop fluid from Walmart and after about two weeks of topping off the reservoir, the leak went away...and that was over two years ago. The fluid basically lubes and softens the seals that tend to dry and get brittle with age.

Just something to consider.

Matt
Old 01-17-2003, 05:00 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

No...I'm not real sure. I'm putting on my front shocks this weekend, and I'll give it a better look. I actually have two leaks, and I'm getting pissed. I hate leaks. I bought this 95 about 5 months ago, and was told there were no leaks, and looked and didn't see any either. But about a month of driving, and boom two fricking leaks. Oh well, that's what happens with cars with a 100k on them. Anyway, thanks for sharing...I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks - Jeremy
Old 01-17-2003, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Jeremy,

I think we all hate leaks

How much leakage are you talking about--a couple of drips or puddles? Check your reservoirs (oil, power steering, brakes, radiator, etc.) to see if anything is low and that'll give you a pretty good indication as to where the problem is. If, for instance, your power steering fluid is a little low and you're only seeing a few spots underneath, I'd recommend trying the leak stop stuff--if it is still leaking after a couple weeks, then you may have to have the hose or pump replaced (but you're only out $5 for testing).

Hopefully these things are not that big a deal. I've been pretty fortunate with my 4runner in that I've only had two leaks over the past 159,000 miles. One was the power steering hose and the other was the service shop didn't tighten the oil drain plug after an oil change, and I came out to find about 3 quarts of oil underneath the front!

Matt
Old 01-17-2003, 09:12 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

We're talking a coupl of drips a night. I know one is from the steering, because I was really low. When I added new the next day I had new fluid on the garage floor. The other leak may take some more looking, because I climbed underneath a few nights ago after putting my rear shocks on and found oil all over. Oil where the tranny hooks up, oil around the oil pan, you name it. I need to clean it and see where it's coming from. The upper part of the motor is clean, except for the leakage from the steering pump area. I stopped off and got some steer pump fluid with the leak stop additive. It's actually time for an oil change too. So maybe, I'll find it tomorrow. I just hope it's a gasket I can replace pretty easily.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

From the sounds of the power steering leakage, the stop leak might just work because before I had the hose replaced, there was a puddle about the size of a half dollar underneath. After that, there were just a few drops each night.

I hope you can find the other leak. Let us know what you find out because somebody else may have (or eventually have) the same problem.

Good luck!

Matt
Old 01-17-2003, 07:28 PM

For the power steering see if the hose clamp on the return line(no pressure side) is snug. More than once I've found the hose hardens a bit over time and a small leak develops from there. The pumps I'm familar with have the return coming out of the top so the pump is also covered with fluid/dust.
As for finding the other... at speeds above 5 mph oil drips and blows all over everything. At your oil change I'd recommend cleaning up the underside and letting it idle in the garage (ventlated of course) until you see a drip it the ground. If too much time passes for your paticence shtu it off and leave for a while. My guess is your leak will show itself. Rambling a bit.
One last though is it conign out of the valve cover?
Good luck and happy hunting.

Nathan