Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

power steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power steering noise

I seem to have a noise coming from my power steering pump. I've attempted to record the sound with a video, but I don't feel it is very clear. Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnczn9spq8...74006.mp4?dl=0

I tried touching it with my tablet as I was recording to see if the sound came through better, but it doesn't. It sounds like a low grinding noise, and I can feel the vibration when I touch the PS pump. I checked the fluid level, and the ATF is at the right level and looks clean, though it looks like a thin layer of black grease where the cap touches the pumps body. I changed the ATF fluid last summer. I'm not sure if the noise is the pump or the pulley bearing, but I'd like your opinion on that. I figured a bearing problem would have a higher frequency sound than I am hearing. I touched other areas around the pump and only at the pump can I feel the vibration. Any suggestions on what the problem may be and how to best fix it would be appreciated.

Last edited by 4Xtruck; 09-18-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Remove the belt run the engine see if the noise goes away.

At that time you can also check if the idler pulley is rough when turned by hand

.With the engine off and cold!!!

If that feels fine and the noise has indeed gone away It can only be the bearings in the pump.

Just curious what size tires do you run??
Old 09-19-2015, 04:09 AM

I will check as you suggested, tomorrow. Thank you. My tires are P235/75R15, slightly larger than standard (P225/75R15). How might tire size affect the PS pump? I ran the same size tires on my old 22RE for over 310K miles with no similar problem. If the noise comes from the pump bearings, is that repairable, or will the entire pump need to be replaced?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:10 AM

Red face

From what I have seen in person the lifted trucks with big tires tend to destroy the power steering pumps

Depends on your skill level and how bad the shaft is worn or if the failed bearing has allowed to damage the housing

If time is a factor just get a reman one.

Things like this one never knows till things are apart then getting the parts could take a while.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:35 PM

I have to let my truck cool down, so I'll test it tomorrow, but I've looked online for parts, in case I need them. I need my truck for transportation, so can't afford downtime. Here is what I found (with a lifetime warranty):

Ebay -- Reddi Parts Group 21-5930 -- new cast aluminum/steel -- $82.99
O'Reilly's Auto Parts -- remanufactured MasterPro 990-0207 -- cast iron -- $133.99 + tax
Auto Zone -- remanufactured Duralast 5685 -- cast iron -- $116.99 + tax

I'm leaning toward the Duralast, unless you feel either of the other are better, due to cost and ease of replacement (if necessary). Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by 4Xtruck; 09-19-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 PM

Red face

Sorry I can`t help as of late with so many poor quality parts being made in China.

I either deal with Napa or Toyota because if things are wrong or bad exchange is easy.

Just watch there was a change in pumps 1/97 so it depends on just when your truck was built.

Lifetime warranties are nice but replacing the same part several times is not.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:42 PM

I have had good luck with Auto Zone, rarely having to take them up on their lifetime warranty. The quality has been reliable, and they've never questioned any return, even the radiator punctured in an accident. Toyota parts tend to be extremely expensive, and dealing with local dealers has not been a positive experience. If something can wear out in time, I'd prefer dealing with companies that make it easy to quickly replace the parts. If Auto Zone doesn't have a part in stock, they generally are much quicker in getting it than the Toyota dealerships. When I hear of Toyota parts that are significantly better than aftermarket (ie catalytic converters), I'll pay the premium. I'll check with Napa and see what they offer. I understand your concerns regarding Chinese products, and I appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:24 AM

Red face

With you being 3000 or so miles away Your Autozone might be much better then the local ones here .

Here Autozone is cheap parts at a cheap price which it seems is what most customers here seem to want.

By the same your Local Napa store could be really poor who can say.

I have a great Relationship with my Toyota Dealer going back 15 plus years

I really need to like the people I do business with .
Old 09-20-2015, 06:08 AM

You hit it right on the head, there. The quality of a business is determined by the quality of the people operating that business.

One thing I notice that is different about Auto Zone warranty compared to Napa, is that Napa doesn't cover normal wear and tear, which means they could subjectively deny any return based on that claim, while Auto Zone takes back whatever you say isn't working, no questions asked.

Last edited by 4Xtruck; 09-20-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:38 AM

OK, this is what I came up with. I removed the belt and idler pulley (cleaning and spraying lithium grease into the bearing of the pulley). The engine was quiet when I ran it with the PS pump disconnected. The pulley spins freely with no resistance, though I can rock it very slightly (just under 1mm) if I push in on either side. I spun the pump pulley when the belt was off, and I felt no resistance or anything else out of the ordinary. When it was put it back together and I ran the truck, everything was quiet, then I heard and felt something like a growling 1 time, then several times, increasing til the sound was fairly constant. It never got louder or changed in pitch, just became more steady. There was no change in growling when the steering wheel was turned in either direction. I touched the idler pulley while the truck was running and didn't feel any vibration or wobble.

It appears to be a problem with the pump. Let me know if you disagree with my assessment.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Could it be a dirty filter on the bottom of the reservoir? I didn't know it was there when I did my flush last year. The fluid is clear/clean, and I haven't needed to add any fluid since I did the flush.

Last edited by 4Xtruck; 09-23-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:20 AM

Red face

Have you noticed any difference in the feel of the steering ??

If the pump is starving for fluid due to a lack of fluid from a blocked screen there should be a difference .

With the engine running does the pump pulley look square with the belt nothing out of alignment that could be putting lateral pressure on the pump bearings ??

One of those things one needs to be up close and personal

If it was me and it failed it would be at the worse possible place in the pouring rain

If your sure it is the pump do the rebuilt ones come with the pulley ??

I would want a new key maybe a new nut I am great for dropping small parts that vanish.

For piece of mind I would put a bearing in the idler pulley as well but that is me
Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen air in the system cause noise. With the front end raised up, turn the wheel from stop to stop several times to get the air out.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:58 AM

Since I bought this truck used (in less than ideal condition) last year, it is hard for me to determine what is normal for this truck. There may have been blockage from the start. The ATF was very dirty when I flushed it last year.

The pump pulley does sit square, with no wobble or lateral pull.

The rebuilt pumps don't come with pulley or reservoir.

The idler pulley bearing can't be replaced. Unfortunately, Toyota made it a sealed unit. I prefer the ones that allow replaceable bearings.

I'm going to drain the reservoir this morning and then clean the filter and add an inline Magna-Pure filter at the same time. Am I correct believing the higher hose is the low pressure return line? It is merely held on with a clip, while the other hose is more secure.

I do have a request to make. With our extended drought in Southern California, PLEASE send us your rain!!!!

When I did my flush, I did do the raised front end stop to stop bleeding of the system.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't know the 3.4 so don't know about the low pressure side. I hear you guys are having a tough time with out water out there. Hope it changes soon for you. Seems like every year you guys have some serious fires out there due to drought. Shouldn't be much left to burn. I envy you guys during the winters out here. When we are in single digits, you are in the 60s. I miss living in San Diego and the great weather all year long.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:14 AM

My truck is a 2.7, not a 3.4.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Since I didn't have time to totally take this apart (Toyota didn't design it for easy access), I figured I'd just put a screw driver down into the reservoir and scrape away at the screen. That succeeded in making the ATF dirty, but, after a short period of quiet, the noise came back as before. It sure seems like a pump problem. I'll have my tenant (a Honda mechanic) listen to it tomorrow and see if he confirms my assumption.

If I have to replace the pump, should I flush the fluid before or after I replace the pump?

Last edited by 4Xtruck; 09-24-2015 at 09:57 AM.