Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power Rear Window problem

Old 10-08-2003, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Rear Window problem

I've got a '90 SR5; the power rear window just STOPPED working one day, and I've figured out that the motor went on it.

What I'm looking for:

First, can anyone tell me how to get the back window down manually so that I can open the tailgate and work on the problem? I'm kind of a big guy, 6-1, 220, and even in the spacious rear cargo area of my Runner I'm pretty cramped (plus I've got back problems, and that doesn't help), so I want to be able to work on it with the tailgate open.

Second, where can I find good mechanical diagrams and electric schematics of the gate/window assemblies? I'll even PAY for them...

Thanks if advance for any help...

Mike
Old 10-08-2003, 08:50 AM

I'm not positive but I think (if I remember correctly from when I was working on my back window) that the carpet panel over the rear tail gate is just held on by panel clips and can be popped off. Not entirely sure, but you could try it and see or check w/ your local dealer. Anyway, once that is off, its mostly removing plastic films and undoing bolts to get at the internals. From there, you should be able to disconnect motor, lower the window, and open the back for the rest of the job. I know of no way to lower the window before disconnecting the motor.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:55 AM

I'm not sure if your rear door/tailgate is similar to mine, but mine has 8 screws holding the back panel on. If your rear door is more like a tailgate w/ window then I'm sure you have two wires that run to one of the door latches, check the cables and try disassembling the latch and cleaning it. Don't be dumb and assume it was the window motor like this one 6'3" guy I know
Old 10-08-2003, 11:16 AM
TOR

Rear regulator & motor

Twohorse, first welcome to Yotatech. Second, are you sure it is your motor and not your regulator that has gone bad? I see a lot of these here at the dealership and more times than not it is the regulator. Anyhow, regarding the panel in the rear there shows to be 10 screws on the top trim panel on the tailgate and then 18 different clips on the panel covering the regulator that will have to be removed to get to the regulator. Here are the prices on both parts.

Regulator 69801-89122 $75.16
Motor 85710-89105 $210.10

Tack on $6.00 for shipping and they are at your front door.

Todd

P.S. If you need diagrams on it PM me with your VIN I will capture the specs and email them to you.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Howdy

Welcome to Yotatech Mike!

I think we about got your questions answered! These guys are great! I told you over here we could help you out! We even got our own Toyota parts guy in Todd, you can't beat that with a stick!

Hope you get the rear window fixed up!

Brian
Old 10-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

My friend has a 90 'runner also, and his rear window died while he was down here. We went to a junkyard, and replaced the motor with one from the rear drivers side window of a 90'ish Toyota Camry. $10 well spent.

You may want to find a smaller helper to get the panel off, and the window down. Don't remember the exact details, but it didn't take too long.

His regulator assy. was also a little rusted and gummed up, so we cleaned it up, and hit it with a little grease.

When I was picking up my fog light switch from the dealer, I overheard a tech asking for a rear window motor for a 'runner, and he mentioned it was the same as the drivers side window.....
Old 10-09-2003, 04:51 AM
TOR

window motor

95 4x4, I don't know if it would work or not but the front door motor is not the same on your rig as the back window. The same would hold true on all Runners between August of 91 through November of 95.

Todd
Old 07-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Just subscribing myself to this post because my rear window died earlier today
Old 07-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

To update this thread a bit:
After some searching, I found a tip that made sense.
The rear wiper and the rear window are rigged up in a way so that when then rear wiper isn't properly seated the rear window won't go down.

A visual inspection showed my wiper was seated fine, but I turned it on then off again and tried my rear window and VOILA, the window worked again.

:shrug:
Old 07-20-2004, 10:56 AM
jaf

Hello guys,
I am a new member from Argentina.

I tell you that I have problems with the back window of my 1992 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.0 5-spd. It goes down without problem but it doesn´t go up. :cry:

I checked the motor and it works Ok and I believe the problem is the relay box. I already have the box in my hands and want to verify it

I will appreciate if anybody tell me how or where to get the electrical circuit diagram of the back windows and the relay box especially

Also, can you tell me what the regulator is and where it is?

Thanks a lot.

Jorge
Old 07-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jaf
Hello guys,
I am a new member from Argentina.

I tell you that I have problems with the back window of my 1992 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.0 5-spd. It goes down without problem but it doesn´t go up. :cry:

I checked the motor and it works Ok and I believe the problem is the relay box. I already have the box in my hands and want to verify it

I will appreciate if anybody tell me how or where to get the electrical circuit diagram of the back windows and the relay box especially

Also, can you tell me what the regulator is and where it is?

Thanks a lot.

Jorge
I can send you the wiring diagram for the back window circuit, PDF file. It doesn't show the relay but it does have the wires that come out of the box and which one goes where. I haven't found a diagram of the inside of the relay box anywhere. PM me with an email address.

The regulator is what attaches to the motor and mechanically moves the window up and down. Some parts in there wear out over time. Even if nothing is worn it's a good idea to open the tailgate and clean and relube it once of twice a year.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:38 PM
jaf

Ok, Eric. Thanks very much.

My email address are jaf2@mail.com and/or lu7dtb@yahoo.com.ar

I opened the tailgate and clean/relube it but the windows does not go up.

I hope the PDF file, thanks again.

Jorge
Old 07-21-2004, 04:06 AM

I do know one thing, its a pain in the a$$ to change that damn moter up or down. Who put those little bolts in upside down so that the head is facing out side the truck where bratworst fingers like mine cant get in there.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scofco
To update this thread a bit:
After some searching, I found a tip that made sense.
The rear wiper and the rear window are rigged up in a way so that when then rear wiper isn't properly seated the rear window won't go down.

A visual inspection showed my wiper was seated fine, but I turned it on then off again and tried my rear window and VOILA, the window worked again.

:shrug:
Just wanted to chime in to say that that is a freakin' great tip!

My window was stuck up and I couldn't figure out how to work on it without opeing the tailgate so I did a search and came up with this thread. As stated, my wiper appeared to be seated correctly, but I tried cycling it and sure 'nuff, VOILA! My window works again (well, sort of anyway - gimpy thang that it is!).

C
Old 10-07-2005, 09:06 PM

G'day all,

Just joined your forum as I stumbled across it during a Google search for the rear window regulator part number. Very impressive!

I own a '90 ForeRunner Diesel 2.8 FWD and the Rear Window Regulator has just spat the dummy. When I opened it up found the shaft had rusted through and alowed the plastic gear to skew with the obvious consequences.
Here in Australia a Motor/Regulator combo is the only way you can purchase one and at the princely sum of $Aus500 (around $US320). (That hurts the pocket. It's also a nuisance having to crawl into the back via the rear seat.

This raises some Questions for me.

1. Are these motor/regulators the same on all models ie.for different countries?
2. If so, where could I purchase just a regulator?
2. Is there an another car that uses the same motor/regulator eg. Landcruiser or other make passenger vehicle?

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers, Frank..

Last edited by Oz_Runnr; 10-07-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:25 PM

My key switch on the rear tailgate of my 86 runner stopped working one day when i had too much junk piled in the back against the tailgate. any ideas on how to fix it? thanks guys.

also, any one in the fox valley area of wisconsin who likes to wheel send me a line, I am trying to find some locals to wheel with. all my wheeling buddies live in milwaukee which is 2 hrs away.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

mudnsnow, I think I might have an extra key switch but it's for a 94. I also have a couple motors, regulator, tailgate, console switch, ect. If anyone knows if the key switch would work chime in, or mudnsnow you could just stop by at look at it.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:25 AM

Bit off key, but is anyone else jealous of the 2.8 diesel that OZ Runner gets to ride?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:37 AM

Does anyone know if the metal track that the rear window sits in is a separate part or does it come with the window? $350 ! Mine is rusted out at the very end and causes the regulator wheel to slip out at the bottom. That may be one cause of window not going up or down.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

jmiller11, No they don't come with the window. The stealership has lots of them in stock, a pretty common problem up here in the rust belt. there about $15.00 each and come with new welting for between the glass and rail. Be sure to mark where the old one come off to replace the new in the same spot, and I've found putting a little bit of dish soap on the rubber welting helps it push onto the glass more easily.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Rear Window problem